Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Consequences of Fear Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I was speaking to an older friend last weekend.

She was very adamant that she was very fearful of the state of the US. That the US was just so different.

Global destabilization is the number 1 threat to our economic well being and military inaction. In support of that statement see the March to WWII and Great Depression.

Now my friend is very afraid of these social changes. She is very afraid of demographic changes as lost political power.

Two days later I read of an older man who sees a young African American ringing m his door bell, and he becomes so subjectively fearful he shots that young African American in the head.

I say subjectively because the shooter has declared upon seeing the young person he was “Scared to Death.” That is a declaration of his subjective state of mind. A person using deadly force must not be correct, but must have an objective, reasonable fear that the user of deadly force justification defense was faced with a threat of serious physical injury or death. Unless the user is defending a third party. In that scenario the user must be correct in the use of deadly force.

The jury shall decide if this man had an objective fear. As we do not know all the facts, I will refrain from speculating.

I submit that one who is afraid of other groups need a better policy position than just fear.

Those left of me are using this shooting to attack castle doctrine laws. That doctrine is not at issue. Castle Doctrine simply states you have a right to self defense in our home. It does not say you get to kill people with unreasonable, non-objective, fear present.

African Americans as a class are no more scary than white citizens. The same holds true for Latin decent citizens, gay citizens, and other party citizens.

Would this older man have shot a white young person ringing his door bel? Would this older man have shot a person in their 40s ringing his door bell?

I admit, I thought about pulling a 1911 on a particularly persistent Jehovah Witness once. I did not. I was not afraid. Simply very annoyed.

By all means protect yourself. Be ready to protect ourself. The line has to be touched though.

Before someone ask, the older msn has said he did not give the young person any instruction to leave. He just shot him.

I wonder why this older person was so afraid at the sight of this young person who rang the doorbell?

This is why Robert K had Rule Number 11 of life being never stand in front of a door you knock on.

Posts: 10979 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

She was very adamant that she was very fearful of the state of the US. That the US was just so different.

Global destabilization is the number 1 threat to our economic well being and military inaction. In support of that statement see the March to WWII and Great Depression.

Now my friend is very afraid of these social changes. She is very afraid of demographic changes as lost political power.

Two days later I read of an older man who sees a young African American ringing m his door bell, and he becomes so subjectively fearful he shots that young African American in the head.

I say subjectively because the shooter has declared upon seeing the young person he was “Scared to Death.” That is a declaration of his subjective state of mind. A person using deadly force must not be correct, but must have an objective, reasonable fear that the user of deadly force justification defense was faced with a threat of serious physical injury or death. Unless the user is defending a third party. In that scenario the user must be correct in the use of deadly force.

The jury shall decide if this man had an objective fear. As we do not know all the facts, I will refrain from speculating.

I submit that one who is afraid of other groups need a better policy position than just fear.

Those left of me are using this shooting to attack castle doctrine laws. That doctrine is not at issue. Castle Doctrine simply states you have a right to self defense in our home. It does not say you get to kill people with unreasonable, non-objective, fear present.

African Americans as a class are no more scary than white citizens. The same holds true for Latin decent citizens, gay citizens, and other party citizens.

Would this older man have shot a white young person ringing his door bel? Would this older man have shot a person in their 40s ringing his door bell?

I admit, I thought about pulling a 1911 on a particularly persistent Jehovah Witness once. I did not. I was not afraid. Simply very annoyed.

By all means protect yourself. Be ready to protect ourself. The line has to be touched though.

Before someone ask, the older msn has said he did not give the young person any instruction to leave. He just shot him.

I wonder why this older person was so afraid at the sight of this young person who rang the doorbell?

This is why Robert K had Rule Number 11 of life being never stand in front of a door you knock on.

How about this one too??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67048 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt in my mind that the racial divisions in both of my countries are greater than ever before. I also believe that this because it is exactly what some people of all races want.
In the case of the stupid old prick who shot an innocent young man (or so we assume), it is difficult not to condemn said old prick. Of course, this is a knee-jerk reaction, with no context. It may be that there had been home invasions in that area; perpetrated by young black men. Sadly, this is not all that far-fetched, as a possible scenario. If this was the case, the old guy might not be quite as far out to lunch as we thought.
It would seem though that this is not the case and what we have is a situation where a stupid old man went to the gun as his default response to a knock at the door. At the same time, another stupid SOB shot a young woman who was a passenger in a car which pulled into his driveway. No report of any harassment or criminal intent. In a third case a cheerleader was shot after she mistakenly got into the wrong car. The perpetrator, in this case, was a young hispanic man who actually went after the young lady after she got out of the car. A fourth incident saw a young black man shoot at some neighbour kids when their basketball rolled into his driveway.
Given these incidents, it is very difficult to argue that all these men, two old and white, two young men "of color", should have the right to own and carry firearms. In fact, it is difficult to argue that they should be allowed to breath oxygen.
This is what we, as gun owners and users, as senior men, as rural residents, as citizens of the nation, have to contend with.
We may be considered a risk because we are old, white, and own guns. This because some other old, white, gun owners chose to shoot some one without real provocation. This is a fact which we must accept if it is to be reconciled.
On the other hand, young black men have to be aware that they may be seen in a bad light. This because so many young black men are career criminals and so many like to pretend to be so. This is a fact which must be accepted if reconciliation is to be affected.
As for the other incidents, what can one say but, WTF? These are nothing less than a symptom of a sickness in our society and we need to get a handle on it or we will all suffer.
One other incident which shows the consequences of being too ready to go to the gun is the one where the home owner was killed by police because he opened his door with a gun in his hand and was killed by trigger happy cops. If he had been unarmed, he would still be alive and could have had the satisfaction of calling the cops a bunch of stupid bastards for going to the wrong house. We have a problem. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fear is a normal response.

One doesn’t need too much exposure to what is going on to have reason to fear the changes that are occurring in the modern world.

After the excessive isolation reaction of the last couple years from Covid, I expect things will get worse. We now have a generation of kids that missed the normal socialization at the appropriate stage of growth.

While humans are more complex than dogs and cats, look at what happens when a puppy or kitten is not appropriately socialized.

I fear things are going to get worse as far as socially deviant behaviors in the next decades.

How you deal with fear has a lot to do with how you were brought up, and your past experiences.

Posts: 10666 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

How about this one too??

And this.....shot some cheerleaders who accidently tried to get in his car. Everybody has lost their mind.

https://abc13.com/woodlands-el...r-arrested/13150502/

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15134 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What I find incredible is many things I read in the media happening in The US and the UK.

People get into a fight for the silliest of reasons.

In England, neighbors go to war because of tree between their houses!!??

We have a house in Sweden, and a tree, on our neighbors plot, was obscuring a great view.

We asked them if we could chop it down.

They said go ahead!

No problems at all.

What people sometimes think is very hard for me to imagine!

Posts: 67048 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://abc13.com/woodlands-el...r-arrested/13150502/

I'm sure he was a perfectly legal & law abiding citizen exercising his 2nd amendment rights clear up to that point.

Posts: 15883 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
The "why" is what needs to be addressed. Why in the world are we so adversarial and fearful?

As a knee jerk reaction to these recent headlines I decided to not carry a firearm while traveling away from home the next couple weeks. I thought to myself, " do I think I'll need it? Have I ever before? Can I easily avoid danger or hazards?"
No, no and yes, so the pistol stayed home. I want no part of these trigger happy current events.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt that there are times when the use of a gun or some kind of force is acceptable or even required, but most are not capable of recognizing when that time might be. There are thousands of examples in history when force was inappropriately used. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The need of a gun is exceedingly rare. But…when you do ‘need’ one…you need it really bad. And…you need it right then.

My solution to any human problem would never be a gun…unless that was my only option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36663 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can we agree a young black person ringing the door bell is not a I need a gun now situation?

Assuming that is factually accurate as depicted.

Posts: 10979 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
The "why" is what needs to be addressed. Why in the world are we so adversarial and fearful?

As a knee jerk reaction to these recent headlines I decided to not carry a firearm while traveling away from home the next couple weeks. I thought to myself, " do I think I'll need it? Have I ever before? Can I easily avoid danger or hazards?"
No, no and yes, so the pistol stayed home. I want no part of these trigger happy current events.

That is why I stopped carrying in Law School in Ohio.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can we agree a young black person ringing the door bell is not a I need a gun now situation?

I don't believe anyone has disagreed with that assertion. In fact, I believe that in none of the cases mentioned was the use of a gun appropriate. Regards, Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
quote:

I don't believe anyone has disagreed with that assertion. In fact, I believe that in none of the cases mentioned was the use of a gun appropriate. Regards, Bill

My thought was, is this something new ? it seems there were a rash of incidents like this during the last week or so. Are Americans really becoming that afraid that they increasingly shoot first and ask questions later ?

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1606 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
The lack of value for human life in the ghettos and slums, (as I perceive it,) has expanded to the rest of our society. Today the suburbs, ( George Zimmerman,) the rural Americans and even the rich elite are more inclined to Bust a Cap!

It's now conceivable to shoot a cheerleader getting out! of your car and shooting at a car backing out! of your driveway.

This is horrifying .

Posts: 9140 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We agree Scott King on the disease.

Leeper, I do not see a response from Dr. Easter who the question was directed to.

Thank you for your response.

To be fair, I believe his statement implies he agrees.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We agree Scott King on the disease.

Leeper, I do not see a response from Dr. Easter who the question was directed to.

Thank you for your response.

To be fair, I believe his statement implies he agrees.

Why do you aim your stupid questions at the Doc, junior????

Is your man bun too tight?

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because he responded with a fortune about needing a gun. When the fact pattern shows a gun was not necessary.

Also he is notorious for mot answering questions.

Would you have shot a young African American citizen ringing your door bell?

Are you that afraid?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely incomprehensible that people shoot when someone knocks on their door, mistakenly turns down their driveway, a teenage girl gets into the wrong car, etc. None of those situations are what the "Stand Your Ground" statutes were intended to protect. I'm conservative as they come, but these folks should be prosecuted.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Having a gun and shooting someone are two entirely different things.

Certainly, no one should shoot through a door at someone who simply rang their doorbell.

It is not unreasonable for someone to open the door to a stranger with a gun.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36663 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because he responded with a fortune about needing a gun. When the fact pattern shows a gun was not necessary.

Also he is notorious for mot answering questions.

Would you have shot a young African American citizen ringing your door bell?

Are you that afraid?

No!

And you're an idiot.......so.....

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Having a gun and shooting someone are two entirely different things.

Certainly, no one should shoot through a door at someone who simply rang their doorbell.

It is not unreasonable for someone to open the door to a stranger with a gun.

Yes.

Would not shoot anyone when opening the door.

But I wouldn’t shoot anyone unless my life was in danger.

We have grown with guns as long as I can remember.

Never, NEVER, in a million years would I shoot anyone unless I was being in danger.

Shooting some in certain circumstances in the US seems whenever there is a silly argument.

Or even non!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
remember.

Never, NEVER, in a million years would I shoot anyone unless I was being in danger.

It is unreasonable to threaten someone by producing a gun who simply presents to your door.

Guns are not for deescalation. They are for ending immediate threats to serious bodily injury or death.

That is why my father always had the gun in hand or on his person, but did not show it.

If I knock in a door, and you come with a gun, if possible I am bringing out my gun because you by level definition have just threatened my life wo justification.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
If you live in a neighborhood that is dangerous and a stranger rings your doorbell…answering the door with a gun in hand may be appropriate.

For me…I would probably stick it in my back waistline. But that is just me.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Fear, ie: Stimulated Awareness-

has a distinct value in self preservation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gift_of_Fear

The "decision" to shoot through a door,
when the door is not being kicked in, nor fired upon, is not simply "fear".

It is either an irrational response, perhaps in some cases a semi-involuntary response,
or in others, a fully volitional response, whether that be rational or irrational.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you live in a neighborhood that is dangerous and a stranger rings your doorbell…answering the door with a gun in hand may be appropriate.

Again, I ring the doorbell. You answer the door pointing a gun at me. You just commented the crime. You just threatened my life with serious physical injury or death. If possible, I have justification to respond in kind.

I will take the home owner at his subjective statement at face value. He responded in fear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are that worried about who is at the door, don’t answer it, or tell them to leave without opening it.

I don’t get that.

I have been “impolite” before- look at who is there, and just not answer (not out of fear, out of annoyance at yet another solicitor at my door.)

They can ring the bell or knock all they want, no big deal.

If a group of folks is at my door at night, and I don’t know them, I’m not opening it up.

If they are claiming emergency, I will call 911 for them.

Yes, I’ve been conditioned by all the senseless crime.

Posts: 10666 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Again, I ring the doorbell. You answer the door pointing a gun at me. You just commented the crime. You just threatened my life with serious physical injury or death. If possible, I have justification to respond in kind.

I may be wrong…feel free to correct me. But, I don’t believe that ^^^ is the correct interpretation of how it works in TX…as long as the man stays inside his house and does not shoot.

I will take the home owner at his subjective statement at face value. He responded in fear.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Castle Doctrine does not give you the right
to use force. It does not give you the right to be the initial aggressor. You do not have a right to point guns nor shoot trespassers or folks who ring the door bell.

Castle Doctrine laws destroyed case law requiring retreat when retreat could be done safely. It is an extension of Stand Your Ground to the home. All Stand Your Ground does is say when faced with the threat of substantial risk of physical injury or death, one need not retreat. One may stand their ground when they have a legal right to be there. The threat must always be present to draw your gun.

CR Butler has provided a very reasonable approach.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 9.42.
Deadly Force to Protect Property

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41;  
and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime;  or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property;  
and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means;  or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also recall Lane has a very significant history why he might believe as he does.

I think he showed an X-ray relating to it.

I took his statement as he would take a weapon with him to the door, not that he would brandish it or point it at someone before determining the threat.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Castle Doctrine does not give you the right
to use force. It does not give you the right to be the initial aggressor.

You do not have a right to point guns nor shoot trespassers or folks who ring the door bell.

That was not my argument.

quote:
Lhyem500 said:
I ring the doorbell. You answer the door pointing a gun at me. You just commented the crime. You just threatened my life with serious physical injury or death.

My point was that a person in his home can answer the door with a gun if he wants and it is not considered aggression as he is “in” his home and the doorbell ringer was the intruder. Now, what he does after that must match the circumstances.

I denounced shooting through the door.

I said “I” would conceal.

Castle Doctrine laws destroyed case law requiring retreat when retreat could be done safely. It is an extension of Stand Your Ground to the home. All Stand Your Ground does is say when faced with the threat of substantial risk of physical injury or death, one need not retreat. One may stand their ground when they have a legal right to be there. The threat must always be present to draw your gun.

CR Butler has provided a very reasonable approach.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I also recall Lane has a very significant history why he might believe as he does.

I think he showed an X-ray relating to it.

I took his statement as he would take a weapon with him to the door, not that he would brandish it or point it at someone before determining the threat.

As always…the correct interpretation.

And, you have a good memory. I have not told that story to anyone in 13 years.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
The idiot at the door in this OP seems to be LHeym for simple reason of few cases of people’s stupidity, he condemns everyone especially the so called “‘white “
Of course he is a lawyer and as such he shows his inability to think as normal citizen
In his view, one case warrants another law to,restrict citizen freedom

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
What I find incredible is many things I read in the media happening in The US and the UK.

People get into a fight for the silliest of reasons.

In England, neighbors go to war because of tree between their houses!!??

We have a house in Sweden, and a tree, on our neighbors plot, was obscuring a great view.

We asked them if we could chop it down.

They said go ahead!

No problems at all.

What people sometimes think is very hard for me to imagine!

To be fair, if your view of day to day life here is taken from what you read in the Daily Mail, Im not surprised you think it's a nut house.

There are a lot of things wrong with this place but I don't perceive the same degree of racial tension as I see in the US, not by a long long way. My work takes me all over the place, including to some pretty deprived and poor neighbourhoods, and some places where I recall coming home and saying to my wife that I was probably the only native English speaker on a street bustling with people.

Ive never, in all the places I have been, felt unsafe, never been threatened or intimidated, never thought that I wish I had a weapon.

I have thought that I should put things in my car out of view or into the trunk whilst I go to do whatever job I'm on. I did come home to a big footprint on my door once (when I lived in London) where someone had tried tried it with a size 12 (they didn't succeed).

On the subject of neighbours someone in a firm I once worked for was acting for a home owner who was in a dispute with their neighbour over the position of the boundary between their houses. It turned into protracted dispute & went to court. One party lost, had costs awarded against them and had to sell their house in order to meet the legal fees. They were arguing about approx 4" of land. Neither party resorted to shooting the other but clearly one or both were barking nuts.

Posts: 7188 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kanec:
The idiot at the door in this OP seems to be LHeym for simple reason of few cases of people’s stupidity, he condemns everyone especially the so called “‘white “
Of course he is a lawyer and as such he shows his inability to think as normal citizen
In his view, one case warrants another law to,restrict citizen freedom

Yep!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only argument I condn is that we need to be do fearful we shoot at folks different than us for ringing door bells, and that one can answer a door pointing a firearm at someone.

Such thinking plays right into the anti firearm argument.

Not surprising it is older folks who seem the most fearful of those not like them.

Older MAGA lawyer recorded scheme how to limit the youth vote.

https://apple.news/AFKt4N51STYK2XDxdiWW_wA

Of course by demographic, I have not been in that group for almost a decade.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
quote:

My thought was, is this something new ? it seems there were a rash of incidents like this during the last week or so. Are Americans really becoming that afraid that they increasingly shoot first and ask questions later ?

Grizz

There does seem to be a rash of these incidents, but I think one needs to keep in mind that virtually every incident of this sort will be reported upon and go national. On the other hand, incidents where the use of force was justified and/or protected a home or person from a real threat will receive little coverage. I don't mean to minimize the import any of these occurrences, which I think were examples of extreme stupidity, but anti-gun sentiment is, as always, prevalent in the news media. Regards, Bill