Find
Notify
Tools

Another American SICKNESS! Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
Pay your employ decent wage!

I am in Switzerland.

Had lunch at a restaurant which had a line of customers waiting for service.

Waited in line.

Got in and had excellent, quick service.

Food was fantastic.

Servers were all laughing and enjoying their jobs.

I like my steak well done.

When I mentioned this to the waitress, who was Italian, she laughed and said “like a burnt wood?”

I said yes.

It was cooked to perfection, for me.

The bill was brought on a piece of paper, and she had the credit card machine in her hand.

I added about 15% to it.

She was totally shocked!

She wasn’t expecting it.

Told her they deserve it for great service and great food.

On contrast, I have been to 5 Star hotels.

Where a compulsory service charge is added.

Service was atrocious.

I refused to pay it.

On several occasions!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67006 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
The story ended for me at well done steak…

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
Go to Scandinavia, no one expects a tip. If you give one they are very appreciative but as they are paid a decent wage it's not something they need to live.

In Norway I paid for food and the waitress came back to tell me id paid to much. I explained that I included a gratuity and she was very confused. The food and the service were great.

In the US it's crazy. Tip for food, tip for a drink at a bar, tip for an ice cream, tip for a hair cut .... Confused

Posts: 7187 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
You are correct…it has become nuts in the USA. Now…there are options to add tips for self-serving purchases. Ridiculous!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:

Humans eat well done meat.

Hyenas eat it raw rotflmo

Posts: 67006 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Sacrilege... Big Grin

Posts: 7187 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A big reason for the tips being outrageous in the states can be clamed on the small business owner. I have friends and relatives that work in the services industry and most of them are paid well below the minimum wage and the owner says most of your wage will come from your tips. To show you how bad that is getting one friend of mine works for $2 per hour as his wage and all his money comes from tips. The owner is for the most part getting free labor for his business and making a fortune. I see so many small business owners make huge amounts of money and treat their employees like crap and pay them crap wages. I have way to many personal examples of this to list.

Posts: 508 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MtElkHunter:
A big reason for the tips being outrageous in the states can be clamed on the small business owner. I have friends and relatives that work in the services industry and most of them are paid well below the minimum wage and the owner says most of your wage will come from your tips. To show you how bad that is getting one friend of mine works for $2 per hour as his wage and all his money comes from tips. The owner is for the most part getting free labor for his business and making a fortune. I see so many small business owners make huge amounts of money and treat their employees like crap and pay them crap wages. I have way to many personal examples of this to list.

Why are they paid below minimum wage?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's to ensure they all ain't out back smoking all day instead of doing their job.

it's covered by them being a contract worker rather than a regular employee.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
You are correct…it has become nuts in the USA. Now…there are options to add tips for self-serving purchases. Ridiculous!

I like the ones where they add the tip for you as part of the meal and then have an additional space on the credit card receipt where you can tip them again. Stupid.

On the other hand, as noted above, most servers in most restaurants survive on tips. I don't mind tipping around 15-20% for a good meal and a good server.

The times I've been to Europe, no one expected a tip. But, they get free health care. Big Grin

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15120 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Nothing is FREE when it comes from the government.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I quit ordering steak at a restaurant many years ago just because I like my steak well done. By that I mean grey in the middle, not red and bloody. I had too many experiences where I had to send it back for more cooking, which pissed off the cook. All they did was put it in the microwave and haul it back to me. No smiles there. For all I knew the cook spit on it.

Now, when I have beef, I cook it myself, spice it myself and enjoy. I don't eat raw or undercooked meat, chicken, fish, seafood, snails, and especially wild game. The worse restaurant food, IMO, is a bloody hamburger. Disgusting.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19762 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Only places I have had problems with well done steaks were in France!

The bloody stupid Froggies refuse to cook them.

Anyway, there is no one on this earth that ruins proper food like the French!

What does one expect from anyone who eats frogs legs! clap

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Saw a report that a restaurant in Australia is charging 10% service charge on weekends, and 20% on public holidays!

I hope they go bankrupt! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does one expect from anyone who eats frogs legs! clap

That's what I thought as well until I tried them and escargots and mind you its not just the French who eat them.

Posts: 1908 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MtElkHunter:

Why are they paid below minimum wage?

The Fed Law extort these service employees from being paid minimum wage. When it is brought up folks like Dr. Easter complain there 80 dollar steak will cost 100 dollars, and somehow that is a deal breaker.

They should be paid minimum federal wage or the minimum wage of their state at least.

As for tipping itself. Tip what you want or don’t. Frankly, I see no point in discussing someone’s tipping at this point.

I agree with the above on burning the steak. The poor critter died and was butchers. There is no sense in burning him too. However, you order it, you pay for it, and you like it. That is what matters.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Why Joshua do you feel compelled to include me in every response you type?

Here is another example of not knowing what you are talking about.

When speaking of restaurants: I say serve GOOD food, give quality service, and charge what you wish. If the first 2 are very good…I probably won’t even look at the price and still add generous gratuity.

When I order at a kiosk, pick my food up at a counter, fill and refill my own drinks, and throw my trash out as I leave…NO…I don’t want to leave a tip.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

A well done steak done well is quite good, but it's hard to cook a steak well done well, the error of margin between dry and still juicy is small.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well we all know that the world is messed up and it is not limited to tipping.

It seems lately that charities are not only looking for donations but they are offering payment schedules and/or suggested amounts as well as other schemes.

A recent charity sent me a not requested calendar----then reminded me later that I hadn't sent in my $35.00

GUESS WHAT-----ADIOS MF!!!

Hip

P.S. As for well done steak----If it is a good piece of meat it should be good no matter how you cook it! I have preferences but GOOD is GOOD!

Posts: 1830 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
A rare loin of venison, particularly Roe or Fallow is hands down my favourite, nothing else even comes close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

When speaking of restaurants: I say serve GOOD food, give quality service, and charge what you wish. If the first 2 are very good…I probably won’t even look at the price and still add generous gratuity.

When I order at a kiosk, pick my food up at a counter, fill and refill my own drinks, and throw my trash out as I leave…NO…I don’t want to leave a tip.

Because you argued for not applying minimum wage to these workers on this site previously.

I too prefer venison slightly warmed.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:

Because you argued for not applying minimum wage to these workers on this cite previously.

Actually I believe you are wrong. Why? Because I don’t believe in government mandated minimum wage at all. Let the market sort it out. And this^^^is what I always argued. It has NOTHING to do with tips, what wait folks can make, or even remotely to the price of a steak. These high minimum wage mandates take jobs away from kids that need to learn how to get and hold down a job. I employ quite a few folks and our starting hourly wages are no where near these minimums as we couldn’t keep help if they were. But if some burger joint across the street from a college has a business model where they can hire multiple school kids at $8.00/hr and the kids want it…let it be. Get government out the businesses.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, you have advocated and just did that these employers not be required to pay these employees federally mandated minimum wage or the wage of their states.

Thanks for admitting it again.

Hence, you are singular out. The Fed law exempts these types of employees bc De. Easter believes it will cost him 20 more dollars per steak dinner for employees to pay a minimum wage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because you argued for not applying minimum wage to these workers on this cite previously.

Actually I believe you are wrong. Why? Because I don’t believe in government mandated minimum wage at all. Let the market sort it out. And this^^^is what I always argued. It has NOTHING to do with tips, what wait folks can make, or even remotely to the price of a steak. These high minimum wage mandates take jobs away from kids that need to learn how to get and hold down a job. I employ quite a few folks and our starting hourly wages are no where near these minimums as we couldn’t keep help if they were. But if some burger joint across the street from a college has a business model where they can hire multiple school kids at $8.00/hr and the kids want it…let it be. Get government out the businesses.

And I agree with Lane. Minimum wage is nothing but sheep fodder!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OKAY,OKAY,OKAY You can piss further than I can!

Hip

Posts: 1830 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again, you have advocated and just did that these employers not be required to pay these employees federally mandated minimum wage or the wage of their states.

Thanks for admitting it again.

Hence, you are singular out. The Fed law exempts these types of employees bc De. Easter believes it will cost him 20 more dollars per steak dinner for employees to pay a minimum wage.

An example^^^of being dense. flame

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Well we all know that the world is messed up and it is not limited to tipping.

It seems lately that charities are not only looking for donations but they are offering payment schedules and/or suggested amounts as well as other schemes.

A recent charity sent me a not requested calendar----then reminded me later that I hadn't sent in my $35.00

GUESS WHAT-----ADIOS MF!!!

Hip

P.S. As for well done steak----If it is a good piece of meat it should be good no matter how you cook it! I have preferences but GOOD is GOOD!

I never give to organized charities.

I give to those who are in need, and deserve it.

DIRECTLY!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Saeed, to some extent.

There is more than one crisis in the USA, and they are all self-induced by Rightists.

For example - the homeless.

It's a growing phenomenon that people are living in their cars, vans, campers. Some by choice, some by necessity. It's a fact.

https://www.google.com/search?...YgAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

https://www.google.com/search?...sclient=gws-wiz-serp

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19762 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question for the leftists here…

In the situation of large increases in the minimum wage- CA and nationally- with the “livable wage” argument being made as why, has there been an increase or decrease in tipping?

Why has the practice not gone away in this situation?

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CA just raised its minimum wage. We have not had time to see how it will affect the practice.

Frankly, if I want to tip, I am going to tip.

Likewise, the national, Federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. That is what KY’s is. I support raising it and making all employers pay. In this state, my side has not won the argument. 20 states are under $10.00 an hour counting the nine states that are still subject to the Fed 7.25 rate through preemption.

If a state raised it to $25 an hour, but exempts food service employers, tipping is not going away.

Here is a list of each state’s minimum wage rate:
https://www.ncsl.org/labor-and...per%20hour%20applies.

If you count the none states that are still subject to Fed 7.25 an hour rate the number is 20 states are under $10.00 dollars an hour.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a niece who is in the waitress employment.

She has two jobs and has for several years.

IMO, though, she's an idiot. She is a single parent, raising two illegitimate kids, different fathers. No telling how many shot duds. No decent man can put up with her long term. Her chooser is broken. BTW, she is blond, and the kids are half black. Apparently good trophy pussy. When she was growing up, I expected high hopes for her. She is very good looking and seems intelligent. I don't know for sure what went astray, but I could speculate from evidence. It's a sad situation.

IMO, a fucked-up gene lineage.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...0db094cc457098&ei=35

A Fire in the River: Big Sugar and ‘Black Snow' in the Everglades
Story by Michael Adno • 10h

XXX