Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BAN SUVs! THEY Are Killing Machines! Login/Join 
Administrator
posted

Posts: 67049 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago a woman went crazy + tried to kill her 13 year old daughter by beating her head in with a rock. I said at the time, now they should ban rocks; please send the cops up here to confiscate all of mine.

Posts: 4252 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The utterly stupid thing is all headlines all over the world are screaming GUN VIOLENCE!

No one seems to have any common sense that guns never killed anyone.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67049 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a S&@W Model 62 that's been sitting in my top desk drawer in my home office for years. It's fully loaded with 5 rounds of 158 grain hollow points. I've watched it very carefully and it's never harmed anyone so far.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I've got a S&@W Model 62 that's been sitting in my top desk drawer in my home office for years. It's fully loaded with 5 rounds of 158 grain hollow points. I've watched it very carefully and it's never harmed anyone so far.

How about all the other guns residing in other people's homes?

What crimes have they committed! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see this argument all the time and I keep asking how the social utility of firearms equals the social utility of automobiles.

I'll avoid the discussion of how it is easier to get an assault rifle than a driver's license in the US.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15134 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You claim it’s easier to get an assault rifle than a driver’s license.

Please tell me how.

Here, you either get training (provided for you if poor) or pay for the training once in your lifetime.

You then pass that and go to the DMV and pay a nominal fee (again free if poor) to get your license. No background check required, and we give them to noncitizens and nonresidents alike. 16+ and you are good.

For an assault rifle (assuming you don’t really mean an assault rifle, but rather a semiautomatic rifle that the state calls “military appearing” here…

You need to go to the police and get a permit to purchase “military appearing semiautomatic rifles” and you must be 21… although that might be changing here due to a recent court case…

Then they do a background check. They charge money for this, with no exemption for poverty. Alternatively, you need to get a carry permit good for 4 years that requires a class at over $100, and then they charge you up to $100, again no exemption for poverty.

You then go to a dealer and get another background check.

You then pay for the rifle… which costs more than many used cars.

I will call ammo/gas a wash. However, there are more restrictions on ammo sales than gas sales… but you tend to use a gun a lot less than a car.

As to utility, I’d call that somewhat similar. The car you can get around buying by renting, getting a ride by some service (even free if poor), or by living in a “high density neighborhood” with public transit available. The gun, odds are you never need it, but if you do, you will likely be dead without it.

The court has said you have no right to drive.

The courts have held you have a right to defend yourself.

Now, I’m a gun guy. I have many, and use lots of them regularly. I do use my car more than the guns collectively. I do get your argument to an extent, but fundamentally it’s easier to get a drivers license in time and money than it is to get an AR 15. Even for someone who has all the permits.

I can get a DL on any given day with a 10 minute drive and less than 20 minutes at the DMV and less than $100.

If I want to buy an AR, legally, it’s a longer drive, and way more than $100, and at least an hour at the shop waiting for the instant check- assuming it passes and is not delayed… which has happened.

Posts: 10666 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In KY I can buy all the AR rifles I want, and walk out w them the same day.

I can get free ammo thrown in.

No certification to carry a deadly weapon.

So, here MM is correct. In TX, MM is correct.

You might renew your DL in 10 minutes in KY it takes a year of study and limited driving to get a Full Driver’s License.

Posts: 10983 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you buy above a certain number of guns a month you get reported to the ATF. You may get a visit if you are buying multiple AR's a day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Done it more than once. Let the come and ask.

Now, I will say driving is not a federally protected Fundamental Right.

Posts: 10983 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
That’s right it is a privilege. And the purpose of the 2A again?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

Please tell me how.

Here, you either get training (provided for you if poor) or pay for the training once in your lifetime.

You then pass that and go to the DMV and pay a nominal fee (again free if poor) to get your license. No background check required, and we give them to noncitizens and nonresidents alike. 16+ and you are good.

For an assault rifle (assuming you don’t really mean an assault rifle, but rather a semiautomatic rifle that the state calls “military appearing” here…

You need to go to the police and get a permit to purchase “military appearing semiautomatic rifles” and you must be 21… although that might be changing here due to a recent court case…

Then they do a background check. They charge money for this, with no exemption for poverty. Alternatively, you need to get a carry permit good for 4 years that requires a class at over $100, and then they charge you up to $100, again no exemption for poverty.

I will call ammo/gas a wash. However, there are more restrictions on ammo sales than gas sales… but you tend to use a gun a lot less than a car.

As to utility, I’d call that somewhat similar. The car you can get around buying by renting, getting a ride by some service (even free if poor), or by living in a “high density neighborhood” with public transit available. The gun, odds are you never need it, but if you do, you will likely be dead without it.

Now, I’m a gun guy. I have many, and use lots of them regularly. I do use my car more than the guns collectively. I do get your argument to an extent, but fundamentally it’s easier to get a drivers license in time and money than it is to get an AR 15. Even for someone who has all the permits.

I can get a DL on any given day with a 10 minute drive and less than 20 minutes at the DMV and less than $100.

If I want to buy an AR, legally, it’s a longer drive, and way more than $100, and at least an hour at the shop waiting for the instant check- assuming it passes and is not delayed… which has happened.

I can walk into any gun store in Texas, fill out a 4473, pay my money and walk out with an AR15.

If I am purchasing from a private individual without an FFL, I hand over the cash and take the weapon.

I'm renewing my DL in a few months. It requires me to get on-line and make an appointment at the local DPS office and appear at the appointed time and location with the first available spot being months from now. Appear, take an eye test, fill out paper work, have my photo taken, pay fees and wait a few weeks for the DL.

Pretty easy for most to see which is the simpler process.... even if you can't.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15134 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

Slightly off topic--but-

Perhaps a 60-2-

As a Smith collector-I would dearly love to have a Model "62"
as it was an "Experimental" model not released for sale

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No instant check? No check whenever you buy a new car, is there?

The obtrusiveness of the DMV may be more obvious… but recall all the lefty angst (at least up here) during the BLM riots at not being able to buy AR’s and pistols because they couldn’t get the permits.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

Please tell me how.

I can walk into any gun store in Texas, fill out a 4473, pay my money and walk out with an AR15.

If I am purchasing from a private individual without an FFL, I hand over the cash and take the weapon.

I'm renewing my DL in a few months. It requires me to get on-line and make an appointment at the local DPS office and appear at the appointed time and location with the first available spot being months from now. Appear, take an eye test, fill out paper work, have my photo taken, pay fees and wait a few weeks for the DL.

Pretty easy for most to see which is the simpler process.... even if you can't.

Posts: 10666 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote