Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Nationalist Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are not arguing with me. You are arguing with the status of the law going back to the early 19th Century.

Fact: The Bill of Rights were not intended as limitations upon the State Legislature. State Legislatures had their own Constitutions and Bill if Rights as limitations. Citation omitted because it and the entire case has been provided to you before.

1870s: The Supreme Court re-affirms the 2nd Amendment is not a limitation on the state legislature allowing the State of Louisiana to deny a black man a firearm based on his race.
Citation and full case given before.

1870s: The Slaughter House cases reaffirm that the Bill of Rights are not limitations upon the States. That the due process clause of the 14th Amendment does not guarantee a basic, Federal (national) level if Federalism. Citation and full cases provided before.

Federalism means the States reserved power the Feds could not touch, and vise versus. A basic definition.

All this was changed in the early 1950s through Fundamental Right Doctrine which was created to assert Fundamental Rights could not just be restricted by the State Legislature in a simple majority whelm. The First being the Right to Marriage. Citation and Case being provided before.

Next, we saw the expat of the Commerce Clause in the 60s to prevent state legislatures from allowing discrimination in the public sphere of economics. The Court created an objective 3 part test to determine these questions in the future.

Then we have The Incorporation Doctrine again crested objective test and 3 levels of judicial scrutiny. The Incorporation Doctrine, in action, along with the Fundamental Rights Doctrine overrule the Slaughter House Cases creating a basic floor of National, Federal Citizenship. This Doctrine is based on the 14th Amendment’s substantive due process clause. The Court only “created” a means to analyze the application of the 14th Amendment.

From there we see the federalization of Rights that are found and dependent upon in the Bill if Right. For example, one cannot have a Federal Right from Warrantless Search and Seizure without Privacy as the Founders understood the limitations of the Right. Again, citation and cases provided previously.

You really do not know what you are talking about.

Posts: 10905 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
Again. According to Merriam-Webster, nationalism is

quote:
especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

No more semantic games please. We all know what someone means when they call someone a nationalist.

Roland,
I see you exhibit all of the traits in that addendum when you argue against Saeed’s love for his monarchy.

You sir are a Nationalist, in favor of the USA, whether you like it or not. The shoe fits and you wear it regularly.

However, as plainly I implied by the dictionary, the addendum is NOT required to fit the definition of being a nationalist — merely loyalty and devotion for one’s country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36633 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
2020 Judicial activism GAVE us the RvW ruling. Justice Alito and company merely set it right.

I dunno.

Judicial activism gave us Roe V Wade.

Judicial activism also gave us the more recent decision.

I am not really happy with either. I wish they would have sent it back to the legislature and settled it that way.

It would not have been activism if there had not been a change in precedent. The judges changed what was considered the law by their rulings- in both cases.

What ever happened to stating that the law was silent on something, and that the petitioners should take it up with the legislature?

RvW was legislation from the bench. It overturned 200 yrs of precedent and manufactured law based on the opinion of 7 men. It was not unanimous and even Willam Rehnquist, who went on to become Chief Justice dissented.

Dobbs merely reversed a bad ruling. It did not outlaw abortion. It sent it back to State legislatures to decide and opened the door for the federal legislature to act as well.

Just MHO as I see it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36633 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The States had allowed abortion up to 15-17 weeks in the founders time.

There were no universal bans.

In fact, as I have proven with the statements from the Southern Baptist Association posted here. The SBA did not take a position on abortion until the 80s.

Dobbs gives State Legislators too much power over an individual right/choice best left to the person.

The Fed Right was/is older than the 2nd Amendment creating an individual right to possess a firearm. Undisputed fact.

If you would say about Abortion what you say about firearms that would be consistent.

The fact is you like guns and do not like abortion. The is the point of a Fed Right.

As for Nationalist. Mjines answered this question perfectly already. I will add we know the evils of Nationalism since WWI.

I do not consider myself a Nationalist. I consider the US the greatest country, and the best man had offered. That does not mean we cannot and should not do better.

Posts: 10905 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

I have seen no historical evidence abortion was performed in any number at all in that time. In fact, in that time period with available techniques and current medical knowledge, a high percentage of women would die from the procedure. Dr. Butler is free to disagree with me.

There was no need. It was so uncommon…they did not give it thought.

quote:
According to the Worldometer, there are approximately 22 million abortions just this year starting from January 1 until July 2020.

In fact, as I have proven with the statements from the Southern Baptist Association posted here. The SBA did not take a position on abortion until the 80s.

As numbers were becoming alarming.

Dobbs gives State Legislators too much power over an individual right/choice best left to the person.

Your opinion.

The Fed Right was/is older than the 2nd Amendment creating an individual right to possess a firearm. Undisputed fact.

At least the 2nd is plainly written into the Constitution.

If you would say about Abortion what you say about firearms that would be consistent.

False equivalency.

The fact is you like guns and do not like abortion. The is the point of a Fed Right.

No…one is killing an innocent human being and one is not.

As for Nationalist. Mjines answered this question perfectly already. I will add we know the evils of Nationalism since WWI.

Do you have loyalty and devotion to the USA?

I do not consider myself a Nationalist. I consider the US the greatest country, and the best man had offered.

By definition you ARE a self-admitted^^^nationalist…congrats on coming out of the closet. rotflmo

That does not mean we cannot and should not do better.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Abortions have been around as long as we have had medicine.

Operative abortion was well known to be very risky… as were all surgical procedures pre aseptic technique and antibiotic treatments.

A herbal pessary was a more common practice then.

Part of why it wasn’t very common was the risk.

But it did happen, obviously since Hippocrates condemned the procedure.

Posts: 10634 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have seen no historical evidence abortion was performed in any number at all in that time. In fact, in that time period with available techniques and current medical knowledge, a high percentage of women would die from the procedure. Dr. Butler is free to disagree with me.

quote:
According to the Worldometer, there are approximately 22 million abortions just this year starting from January 1 until July 2020.

Your opinion.

False equivalency.

I do not consider myself a Nationalist. I consider the US the greatest country, and the best man had offered.

By definition you ARE a self-admitted^^^nationalist…congrats on coming out of the closet. rotflmo

No Dir, you can have your narrow definition of Nationalism. I can have mine, more broadly understood definition. See the attitude that Contributed to two World Wars.

Nationalism is the corruption of Patriotism.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not consider myself a Nationalist. I consider the US the greatest country, and the best man had offered. That does not mean we cannot and should not do better.

Anytime that somebody takes that stance & complains about the injustices we have, they are immediately labeled as unamerican, unpatriotic traitors who should get out.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Your opinion.

False equivalency.

No Dir, you can have your narrow definition of Nationalism. I can have mine, more broadly understood definition. See the attitude that Contributed to two World Wars.

Tell that to Webster.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then you do not want to sex it. I will post such commentary again.

Abortion did not become illegal in every state until 1910.

Social and legal rules governing abortion can be found dating back to the colonial period. In the British colonies, abortion was legal before “quickening,” the point at which a pregnant person feels the fetus move, generally at around four or five months.
Prohibition against abortion didn’t appear in state statutes until the 1820s, and early laws were ambiguous and not strictly enforced. Some laws were poison-control measures, drafted to stem the sale of chemical mixes used to induce abortion.

“The law with respect to abortion in mid-19th century America followed existing common law of England in all but a few states. Thus, no indictment would occur for aborting a fetus of a consenting female prior to ‘quickening,’” legal attorneys from the American Law Division wrote in a report to Congress in 2001z

https://thehill.com/regulation...history-of-abortion/

I guess these folks are just lying.

Texas abortion ban came in 1857-https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/17/texas-abortion-law-history/

Texas because a state in 1847. Took you guys 10 years to ban abortion. Oddly enough, it took Texas 10 years to write a penal code.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Your opinion.

False equivalency.

Tell that to Webster.

Tell it to yourself. We have 100 years of history to teach us what Nationalism means.

Mjines hit this on the nose. Call yourself whatever you want. I will call myself what I want.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Your opinion.

False equivalency.

Tell that to Webster.

Tell it to yourself. We have 100 years of history to teach us what Nationalism means.

Mjines hit this on the nose. Call yourself whatever you want. I will call myself what I want.

However, by Webster’s definition, you are a nationalist. flame

If the shoe fits…wear it. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nationalism has become a bit of a bogeyman for modern academics.

Of course, lots of them are really shills for a one world order type deal.

I take it to be a way of making multinationalism more palatable.

Yes, the extremes of nationalism are bad...

The Nazis were nationalists and also socialists if you really want to bring them into it, although really the Nazis were whatever gave their totalitarian head of state more power. They used Nationalism, Tribalism, Socialism, Private property, Xenophobia, class envy, whatever it took to get power, and then maintain it. They were considered in direct opposition to the communists who felt that "the working class" as opposed to the nation, were the base of their identity... which is actually where a lot of poly sci types say that China and the USSR actually lose legitimacy re Marxist theory as they DID identify more with their national origin than just the economic class of laborers.

FDR was also a staunch nationalist as was JFK.

Making your country better is a nationalistic viewpoint.

Sorry, LHeym, but you don't get to redefine terms your way. Notably, if you follow an oath of office, you are declaring nationalism (unless you are giving a false oath)...

Now, if you want to be something not nationalistic, that's your prerogative, but you can't redefine nationalism just because you don't like its excesses or connotations. You may not agree with Dr. Easter's, or for that matter, my nationalistic views but it doesn't make you not a nationalist. In fact, it may be part of your nationalism if you view Americans as being better than "that".

Posts: 10634 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, LHeym, but you don't get to redefine terms your way. Notably, if you follow an oath of office, you are declaring nationalism (unless you are giving a false oath)...

Now, if you want to be something not nationalistic, that's your prerogative, but you can't redefine nationalism just because you don't like its excesses or connotations. You may not agree with Dr. Easter's, or for that matter, my nationalistic views but it doesn't make you not a nationalist. In fact, it may be part of your nationalism if you view Americans as being better than "that".

Profound. The newer generations love " redefining" to suit their purposes.....fascism for example?

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Lane believes that the definitive view on what constitutes nationalism or a nationalist has been laid out for us by Webster's dictionary. The concept of both is shallow enough to be captured by a simple dictionary definition in his view. The concept is not informed or shaped by history, its current usage nor is it capable of evidencing itself in degrees some of which might be healthy and others not so much . . . it is a simple on and off switch . . . and everyone that meets the definition of a nationalist are all part of a big happy homogeneous/fungible group. Some might find that view just a tiny bit simplistic. Put me in that camp. However, if being a nationalist means sharing Lane's views on the role of government in issues like abortion, religion in schools, etc., I am pretty sure I am not a nationalist.

Mike

Posts: 21227 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course, being nationalistic isn’t a big homogeneous group.

Of course you can be nationalistic and have different ideas on what the country should be doing. That’s one of the problems with both political parties… they exist to win, and they try and declare the other side is not either nationalistic or patriotic in an attempt to sway voters.

If you are an individual, you are not going to agree completely with another. You may agree more or less, but not all. So I suspect ME and I agree on some things, and not on others. I may agree with my father on 95% of political items, but certainly not 100%.

Nationalism is a pretty big bucket.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Lane believes that the definitive view on what constitutes nationalism or a nationalist has been laid out for us by Webster's dictionary. The concept of both is shallow enough to be captured by a simple dictionary definition in his view. The concept is not informed or shaped by history, its current usage nor is it capable of evidencing itself in degrees some of which might be healthy and others not so much . . . it is a simple on and off switch . . . and everyone that meets the definition of a nationalist are all part of a big happy homogeneous/fungible group. Some might find that view just a tiny bit simplistic. Put me in that camp. However, if being a nationalist means sharing Lane's views on the role of government in issues like abortion, religion in schools, etc., I am pretty sure I am not a nationalist.

How on God’s green earth would you read that^^^into loyalty and devotion to your country!? I mean really 2020

Love for this country does include having the ability to have the open and free discussion however.

If you are loyal and devoted to your country, especially enough to fight and die for its existence…

…make no mistake about it…you ARE a nationalist.

ME himself IS a nationalist.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, being nationalistic isn’t a big homogeneous group.

Of course you can be nationalistic and have different ideas on what the country should be doing. That’s one of the problems with both political parties… they exist to win, and they try and declare the other side is not either nationalistic or patriotic in an attempt to sway voters.

If you are an individual, you are not going to agree completely with another. You may agree more or less, but not all. So I suspect ME and I agree on some things, and not on others. I may agree with my father on 95% of political items, but certainly not 100%.

Nationalism is a pretty big bucket.

Dr. Butler is on fire being voice of reason and common sense today.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . seems like he does spend an awful lot of time trying to clean up, backfill, recast and turn your positions into something that makes at least a modicum of sense. Gives you a well needed escape hatch . . . you need to put him on the payroll.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
At least you are honest enough to not deny being a nationalist — as are 80+% of Americans.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nationalism has become a bit of a bogeyman for modern academics.

Of course, lots of them are really shills for a one world order type deal.

I take it to be a way of making multinationalism more palatable.

Yes, the extremes of nationalism are bad...

The Nazis were nationalists and also socialists if you really want to bring them into it, although really the Nazis were whatever gave their totalitarian head of state more power. They used Nationalism, Tribalism, Socialism, Private property, Xenophobia, class envy, whatever it took to get power, and then maintain it. They were considered in direct opposition to the communists who felt that "the working class" as opposed to the nation, were the base of their identity... which is actually where a lot of poly sci types say that China and the USSR actually lose legitimacy re Marxist theory as they DID identify more with their national origin than just the economic class of laborers.

FDR was also a staunch nationalist as was JFK.

Making your country better is a nationalistic viewpoint.

Now, if you want to be something not nationalistic, that's your prerogative, but you can't redefine nationalism just because you don't like its excesses or connotations. You may not agree with Dr. Easter's, or for that matter, my nationalistic views but it doesn't make you not a nationalist. In fact, it may be part of your nationalism if you
view Americans as being better than "that".

As Mjines has articulated better than I can. Nationalism is not a word that can be or has been confined to the narrow construct found in Webester.

Since, a word has no legal definition, and it makes Dr. Easter, and anyone else, feel better to call themselves Nationalist so be it. I cannot stop them. He can define himself as he wants. You can as well. I can. The word Nationalist is not confined to the definition he has chosen to use any more than the word Love is confined to such s simplistic attempt being a word with varied and complex definitions.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think Lane is smart enough to realize that the totality of his positions on most political and social issues quality him for full fledge membership in the radical right club although he is a bit defensive about that reality. So he seeks comfort in talking about himself being a moderate and using overly simplistic definitions to try and rope a broader group of people into his universe. Makes him feel better about the reality of his positions.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I think Lane is smart enough to realize that the totality of his positions on most political and social issues quality him for full fledge membership in the radical right club although he is a bit defensive about that reality. So he seeks comfort in talking about himself being a moderate and using overly simplistic definitions to try and rope a broader group of people into his universe. Makes him feel better about the reality of his positions.

Smiler

Bit defensive about reality.

Hummm

Bit denial about reality.

Maybe reality is unrecognizable to him.

It's a phenomenon that is not unique to him.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19749 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I like being on the right side of things. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good enough, from the human perspective. Who's to say what is the right side of things?

It depends on one's perspective of reality, and the influences thereof, such as culture, society, beliefs.

We've gone in a circle back to the morals and ethics thing.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19749 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
quote:

Good enough, from the human perspective. Who's to say what is the right side of things?

It depends on one's perspective of reality, and the influences thereof, such as culture, society, beliefs.

I do a job that deals heavily in reality. I also manage money from 5 businesses…something else that had better be grounded in reality. I’m pretty comfortable with my grasp. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I am impressed. And I mean that is a positive way.

You are wholeheartedly diligent, for lack of a better word and adjective.

XXX