nationalism
noun
na·​tion·​al·​ism ˈna-sh(ə-)nə-ˌli-zəm
Synonyms of nationalism
: loyalty and devotion to a nation

Does anyone here fit this definition? coffee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You tend to think in very simplistic terms. It is not Nationalism, Christianity, etc. as concepts that are inherently bad or evil. It is the perversion of those concepts by a fragment of the population that is evil. Christian values are not per se evil, but attempts by Christians to impose their values on everyone else regardless of their beliefs is evil. Nationalism is not per se evil, but justifying racism and other evils in the name of Nationalism is evil. You may enjoy thinking of yourself as a moderate, but there is little moderate or Libertarian in your actual views.

Mike

Posts: 21230 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
You tend to think in very simplistic terms. It is not Nationalism, Christianity, etc. as concepts that are inherently bad or evil. It is the perversion of those concepts by a fragment of the population that is evil. Christian values are not per se evil, but attempts by Christians to impose their values on everyone else regardless of their beliefs is evil. Nationalism is not per se evil, but justifying racism and other evils in the name of Nationalism is evil. You may enjoy thinking of yourself as a moderate, but there is little moderate or Libertarian in your actual views.

So, when the left tries to force its values (or lack there of) on EVERYONE, is this not evil, because they tie no religion to it?

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . Einstein please point out where I said extremism from one side is okay but evil from the other side. Too many binary thinkers here.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You tend to think in very simplistic terms.

Keeping things as simple as possible is an admirable trait. No need to kill a cockroach with a .500 NE when stepping on it with your boot will do. The simplest most straightforward surgical approach to correcting a fracture is usually the most rewarding.

It is not Nationalism, Christianity, etc. as concepts that are inherently bad or evil.

Exactly! BOOM

It is the perversion of those concepts by a fragment of the population that is evil. Christian values are not per se evil, but attempts by Christians to impose their values on everyone else regardless of their beliefs is evil.

Let’s run with this statement. And let’s not go back to the Crusades. Tell me what “evil” comes from this!?

Nationalism is not per se evil, but justifying racism and other evils in the name of Nationalism is evil.

You don’t have to do or condone those bad things to be a Nationalist do you? That is like saying I like money so I must be a bank robber.

You may enjoy thinking of yourself as a moderate, but there is little moderate or Libertarian in your actual views.

I can see the argument against me as a moderate but in the context of my neck or the woods and how I was raised…I am moderate. In the context of the population of the USA I am right-winged for sure. I don’t see me as far right as I know many way further right than I.

That said…as to being Libertarian…I challenge you or Joshua or anyone to point out where I am not.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

That said…as to being Libertarian…I challenge you or Joshua or anyone to point out where I am not.

. . . you don’t have to look any further than your comments above. That’s just plain hilarious.

rotflmo

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
No…actually not.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to figure out what is "evil" about it.
They used to call native americans evil, because they didnt think or act like us. That doesnt make them, N Koreans or Russians either, evil.
None hold my view of things, but that is rather overreaching to label them as evil.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
“Libertarians strongly oppose any government interference in your personal, family, and business decisions. Essentially, we believe all Americans should be free to live their lives and pursue their interests as they see fit as long as they do no harm to another.“

. . . from the Libertarian Party home page. You might focus on the second sentence as you disingenuously argue that your “libertarian” beliefs make it okay to seek to impose your views, for example, on religion and abortion, on others.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . Einstein please point out where I said extremism from one side is okay but evil from the other side. Too many binary thinkers here.

My view is that the biggest problem this country has, is the loss of the moral fabric, that once held us together. I’m not particularly religious, but I was raised Christian, and I remember Sunday school, and the sermons of our Minister, and all of it was geared to “treat your neighbor, as you would want to be treated). I'm 52 now, and I’ve witnessed the complete moral decline of a nation, brought by the Left. The left has taken over the education system, and pushes no consequences for actions, as well as the normalization of abnormal acts/behaviors. This is the evil that brings us mass shootings, as well as the daily killing throughout inner cities. While yes, there a few whackos in every fringe group, Democrats are not a fringe group, and they represent the biggest threat to humanity.

Edit: I don’t believe all Democrats are evil, but they all enable this moral decay im speaking of.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines: you disingenuously argue that your “libertarian” beliefs make it okay to seek to impose your views, for example, on religion and abortion, on others.

That is where you get it wrong Mike.

I never asked the Fed gvt to do it on my behalf or do it period.

In fact, I want the Fed Gvt to stay the hell away from my business, my children’s schools, and my life in general. I want local populations to decide what happens in their schools. I want counties who have populations who like the 10 Commandments in their county courthouse to be allowed.

If above 21…I am fine with you eating oxycontin in your cherios while smoking a joint. If you want to have a civil union with a pot-bellied pig…good with me.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Webster’s:
lib·er·tar·i·an
/ˌlibərˈterēən/
Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All
Politics
Philosophy
noun
an advocate or supporter of a political philosophy that advocates only minimal state intervention in the free market and the private lives of citizens.
"no true libertarian would ever support a culture where citizens must show their papers to travel"
a person who advocates civil liberty.

I believe that fits my beliefs to the core.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Now, back to the OP. Are there any Americans here who do NOT have “loyalty and devotion to a nation” — the USA.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, back to the OP. Are there any Americans here who do NOT have “loyalty and devotion to a nation” — the USA.

How about you ME???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointblank:
quote:

My view is that the biggest problem this country has, is the loss of the moral fabric, that once held us together. I’m not particularly religious, but I was raised Christian, and I remember Sunday school, and the sermons of our Minister, and all of it was geared to “treat your neighbor, as you would want to be treated). I'm 52 now, and I’ve witnessed the complete moral decline of a nation, brought by the Left. The left has taken over the education system, and pushes no consequences for actions, as well as the normalization of abnormal acts/behaviors. This is the evil that brings us mass shootings, as well as the daily killing throughout inner cities. While yes, there a few whackos in every fringe group, Democrats are not a fringe group, and they represent the biggest threat to humanity.

Edit: I don’t believe all Democrats are evil, but they all enable this moral decay im speaking of.

Well written and me too!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
So unless someone speaks out, I am going to take it that ALL USA citizens here have “loyalty and devotion to a nation” — the USA and therefore fit the definition of being a Nationalist — even ME.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nationalism
noun
na·​tion·​al·​ism ˈna-sh(ə-)nə-ˌli-zəm
Synonyms of nationalism
: loyalty and devotion to a nation
especially : a sense of national consciousness (see CONSCIOUSNESS sense 1c) exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups
Intense nationalism was one of the causes of the war.

Posts: 6130 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I just showed, your definition is incomplete.

I suspect you know that.

Posts: 6130 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do not let actual crimes statistics get in the way of your fantasy. Violent crime peaked under Bush SR. and has been in decline ever since. Did you completely forget the crack wars?

https://www.statista.com/stati...-the-usa-since-1990/

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:

I suspect you know that.

My definition was not incomplete.

The addendum does not negate the fact that one who exhibits/feels “loyalty and devotion to a nation” is defined as a Nationalist in the purest form — which is my intent.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Literally in the same paragraph, you extoll the virtues of the golden rule, blame the country's supposed demise on our failure to follow it and then condemn folks whose sexual orientation differs from yours. Are you even able to understand how hypocritical and flawed your thinking is?

The biggest problem this country has is people like you.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15106 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I suspect you know that.

The addendum does not negate the fact that one who exhibits/feels “loyalty and devotion to a nation” is defined as a Nationalist in the purest form — which is my intent.

Like, I dunno.....the Nazis?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nationalism.

Tribalism.

and other Humanisms.

Hummm

https://psmag.com/social-justi...ism-and-scapegoating

WHY WE ENGAGE IN TRIBALISM, NATIONALISM, AND SCAPEGOATING
Robert Sapolsky reveals the biological basis for our most unfortunate traits—and insists change is possible.
TOM JACOBSMAR 5, 2018

Excerpt:

The percentage of people who have friends with different political viewpoints is decreasing. The odds of you marrying someone with a different political orientation are also down. I think that reflects the ways in which social media, etc. have made this such a polarizing atmosphere.

We do our worst when we're surrounded by a lot of people who agree with us. For example, devout religious belief is not a predictor of extremism. Devout religious observance isn't either. But devout religious observance in a group setting is. Studies show that support for terrorism in majority Muslim countries is unrelated to how often you pray, or how devout you are about food prohibitions. But it is related to how often you pray in a mosque. The same is also true of right-wing Jewish extremists in Israel. When sacred values are re-affirmed in groups—that's when things get scary.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19750 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:
quote:

I suspect you know that.

Mike,
Your post makes no sense.

But I ask do you exhibit loyalty and devotion to a nation?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
ME,
Do you or do you not exhibit loyalty and devotion to a nation (specifically the USA)?

If you want to have credibility…answer the question.

quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
Nationalism.

Tribalism.

and other Humanisms.

Hummm

https://psmag.com/social-justi...ism-and-scapegoating

WHY WE ENGAGE IN TRIBALISM, NATIONALISM, AND SCAPEGOATING
Robert Sapolsky reveals the biological basis for our most unfortunate traits—and insists change is possible.
TOM JACOBSMAR 5, 2018

Excerpt:

The percentage of people who have friends with different political viewpoints is decreasing. The odds of you marrying someone with a different political orientation are also down. I think that reflects the ways in which social media, etc. have made this such a polarizing atmosphere.

We do our worst when we're surrounded by a lot of people who agree with us. For example, devout religious belief is not a predictor of extremism. Devout religious observance isn't either. But devout religious observance in a group setting is. Studies show that support for terrorism in majority Muslim countries is unrelated to how often you pray, or how devout you are about food prohibitions. But it is related to how often you pray in a mosque. The same is also true of right-wing Jewish extremists in Israel. When sacred values are re-affirmed in groups—that's when things get scary.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I suspect you know that.

Mike,

My post makes perfect sense. What on earth do you think it was that allowed Hitler to take power in Germany? Maybe the extreme form of German Nationalism that he advocated?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I suspect you know that.

Mike,

My post makes perfect sense. What on earth do you think it was that allowed Hitler to take power in Germany? Maybe the extreme form of German Nationalism that he advocated?

It made zero sense in the context of quote you attached to.

Yes yes Nazism was a bastardized subset of Nationalism for sure. That in itself doesn’t mean nationalism is bad. I see you refrained from answering my question so I will take it that you exhibit loyalty and devotion to the USA. You Nationalist you! rotflmo

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I suspect you know that.

Mike,

Mike you need to remember that Lane sees everything through his ideology tinted lens. Everyone understood your reference, he choses to just ignore it. What was Nazi an acronym for, Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterparte. Key tenets of the party were xenophobia and nationalism. The notion that too much of anything is a bad thing seems to be a concept lost on Lane.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A problem with nationalism is that not everyone agrees with what it is.

Many seem to identify nationalism with specific policies, which is incorrect.

A lot of leftists are nationalistic, but want something different as far as policy, and if they are not being fulfilled, claim that the country is betraying them. That doesn’t change their nationalism, just dislike of the current order.

Then there are the sorts that want a one world order or a no borders world. Those types are not nationalistic.

Posts: 10635 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I suspect you know that.

Mike,

Mike you need to remember that Lane sees everything through his ideology tinted lens. Everyone understood your reference, he choses to just ignore it. What was Nazi an acronym for, Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterparte. Key tenets of the party were xenophobia and nationalism. The notion that too much of anything is a bad thing seems to be a concept lost on Lane.

Mike,
Do you exhibit loyalty and devotion to the USA?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lot of leftists are nationalistic, but want something different as far as policy, and if they are not being fulfilled, claim that the country is betraying them. That doesn’t change their nationalism, just dislike of the current order.

100%^^^

The vast majority of the US population are nationalists — vast majority.

No a single US citizen here has yet dared to say they are not loyal and devoted to the USA.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've confused nationalism with patriotism.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

100%^^^

The vast majority of the US population are nationalists — vast majority.

No a single US citizen here has yet dared to say they are not loyal and devoted to the USA.

Huh? I see yes Far Right Faction on here and elsewhere asking, seeking to overturn how we have structured our society (current system) over the last 50-75 years through Judicial Activism. Most recently, that desire tho change resulted in a violent attempt to overthrow our adult Elected Government.

Judicial Activism Conservatives used to state they were against.

Posts: 10913 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
2020 Judicial activism GAVE us the RvW ruling. Justice Alito and company merely set it right.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Strange to hear a dude speak of love of country when he disagrees with the majority of the citizens of the country.

Lane, what you love is what you perceive to be the good old days; the kind when everyone stands at a rodeo and says in unison the pledge of allegiance.

Pretty good days back there in the fifties and sixtie, unless you were anything other than a straight white person. Who in the world would want to sit on a throne where a black ass recently sit?

Don’t mean to hijack your thread, but I read the posts about Christianity and Jesus. I had a question. Did Jesus ever speak against abortion? If not, where is it in the Bible that instructs that it is wrong to abort an unborn child?

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justice Alito mislead the Senate and the nation during his Confirmation hearing.

His opinion is not legal analysis, but his subjective views.

He should be removed from the Court for his misleading the Senate.

How do I know he mislead? If he has said about the Fed Right to an abortion ( Roe was not the Controlling Precedent. PP v Casey was the controlling precedent.) He would mot have been confirmed.

To overturn 60 plus years of Precedent is Judicial Activism. You cannot make it otherwise.

A Fed Right yo am Abortion in some context subject to limitations by the state is a much older Fed Right than the right to own a Firearm for self defense. You cannot argue factually others and be right. I have proven that w case law going back to the 1800s.

Posts: 10913 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again. According to Merriam-Webster, nationalism is

quote:
especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

No more semantic games please. We all know what someone means when they call someone a nationalist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2020 Judicial activism GAVE us the RvW ruling. Justice Alito and company merely set it right.

I dunno.

Judicial activism gave us Roe V Wade.

Judicial activism also gave us the more recent decision.

I am not really happy with either. I wish they would have sent it back to the legislature and settled it that way.

It would not have been activism if there had not been a change in precedent. The judges changed what was considered the law by their rulings- in both cases.

What ever happened to stating that the law was silent on something, and that the petitioners should take it up with the legislature?

Posts: 10635 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
No more semantic games please.
We all know what someone means when they call someone a nationalist.

really
coming from a lawyer
that is truly difficult to digest

semantics are the grist for your mill

and no
unless you add descriptors
natonalism and patriotism have historically meant the same thing

add descriptors
Socialst
Workers
etc etc
Then “Nationalist”
takes on markedly different connotations

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And that is the truth!

Remember Doc, you are trying to reason with a wokester!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote