THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Competitive Shooting    Prescription glasses for iron sight competitions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prescription glasses for iron sight competitions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the market for a pair of GOOD shooting glasses for competitive rifle shooting. I shoot aperture iron sights at black bulls or black steel targets that are against light brown or tan, sand or dirt banks.

I need a little bit of correction in the top of the glasses, which must be tall enough to allow shooting when prone. I don't know exactly what sort of twist the optician put into my current glasses for distance vision, but he did something to help me with my shooting. I would guess that it is probably about a .75 diopter, but I don't know and will have to find out. The bottom of my gradient glasses have corrections for reading and that is required when I shoot because sight adjustments are not clicks and must be read quickly and accurately. Stick on 1.75 diopters would get this done but a full prescription might be better.

I need glasses that have relatively long bows I think. That's an issue with some of these glasses that have the flex loops that go behind the ears. A standard set of B & L Aviators will hurt like hell after 15 minutes because of this.

I NEVER shoot orange targets in competition so that color enhancement is not needed.

Anyway, I would love to hear what others shoot for dedicated shooting glasses. Those of you shooting high power competition silhouette or Creedmoor matches with iron, aperture sights would be most interesting to me but any experience is probably a plus over what I've been doing and a good discussion might help a lot of other guys.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Knoblochs. I believe Champions Choice still carries them. They are not the best for safety but are by far the most adjustment especially if you are shooting across the course. I also like rosé and yellow lenses depending on conditions. Your local eyeglass supplier can furnish the lenses with the proper prescription.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Knobloch's for years. My daughter has a pair of Champion glasses, also sold by Champion's Choice (coincidence on the names). They have more adjustments, but cost more. Your local eyeglass supplier can make the lenses, but it may take a bit to make sure they know what you really need. I have one of the larger Knobloch lenses made up like a bifocal so I can see the sight adjustments and score sheet. It doesn't matter how long your arms are when you're wrapped up in the sling. The reading section is just a small space at the bottom that doesn't interfere at all with normal aiming.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as your temples go I put up with the stupid cable temples for years and finally ditched them.
A few things that help - buy a large frame made of one of the flexible titanium memory alloys. Hopefully you can find one high enough for your needs.
The light weight titanium alloys:
1. Take weight off of your ears
2. Flex with your movements adding to comfort too.
3. Takes weight off of your nose.

Use conventional temples with a behind the head elastic band to allow them to move without slipping down your nose. This will maintain your eye position behind the lens.

I am a long time rifle shooter but not a competitor. I picked up the titanium and elastic band combo from shooting skeet for more than a decade so I know it works. Even in hot Texas weather the combo takes the load off of your nose and your ears without the frames bouncing down your sweaty nose due to recoil.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
4759 - what frames do you use? I agree that light is good and I use a pair of glasses keepers also.

The Randolph Ranger Edge is currently highest on my list but I keep looking at the Knoblochs as well.

Thanks,
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Brent
I use the Marchon Autoflex 17. This is a very light but strong half frame with a reinforcing bar across the bridge.
They make a smaller lens version called Autoflex 61 which is even lighter due to the smaller lens profile.

Neither of these are high riding shooting glasses but work ok for my non-competetive range and skeet shooting.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent, I think the main thing is that you will be looking through the top part of your lens, so you need to make sure that the prescription up there is true. Also make sure that you can focus on the front sight. That is something that your optician should know. When I had my prescription refilled I mad sue that the optician knew that i wanted to focus on the front sight of a pistol held out one handed.
Peter
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter, yes, you are exactly right. Not only the top, but the top left corner of the right lens. My optrician put the correction at top center. For pistol that would probably work. But for my archaic rifle technology, not so. I use the upper, inside corner of my glasses. In fact, unless my glasses are really pressed into my face, I might actually be sighting through frame or even outside of it, rather than through the lens. So, this is something I will have to do differently.

I have noticed that Randolph Ranger Edge glasses seem to be built with this issue in mind. I need to call them but have not had time lately.

Thanks,
Brent