THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I entered a discussion on this topic on the Pistol Shooting forum. This continues that discussion.
I believe that the terms "match" and "target" are much misused, whenj it comes to guns and ammunition, so I am going to use the term "Bullseye Target Match" to describe my needs. It is Bullseye target, not IPSC target or IDPA target or Bianchi Cup target!
In my search for a 9mm BTM I started with a Kimber 9mm "Target" which shot 3-4 inch groups at 25 yards from an MTM pistol rest. I contacted Kimber who said "send it back and we will take a look at it", however they also said that 3-4 inch accuracy was pretty good and within their accuracy standard. I did not send it back but instead bought a KKM match barrel (gunsmith fit) and had a friend of mine (a Bullseye shooter) fit it. Early results using an MTM pistol rest, and hand held, were encouraging but nothing to write home about. Below is one of 6 10 shot groups shot at 50 yards from a Ransom Rest, trying 6 different loads.

The circles are not the aiming point but rather my after the fact drawing of the 50 yard 10 and X rings to determine group size. The measured group size (outside to outside) was 2.375", subtract .355 (bullet diameter) and 2.02 " approx. is the final size. I call this 10 ring accuracy with 8 of the 10 shots in the X ring. I am satisfied.
The final load was 6.2 grains Power Pistol (Dave Sams load) and 115 gr. JHP Montana Gold.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm in the 1911 platform is very accurate, shooting 124gr delta percision fmj over 6.1 gr of AA#5 Kimber team 2..

here is e recent vid of me shooting USPSA..

Posts: 13 | Registered: 19 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, that's extremely good. Best shooting 9 that I've ever seen and I've seen quite a few in over 50 years of shooting. Now the real test will be to see if you can duplicate that group.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Hornady xtp 115 and Vihtavuori n320? You may find it shoots a bit better.

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try not to carry hollow points as i live in nj and even if i get a speeding ticket i can be charged with having hollow point bullets..
some of the other shooters i shoot with use vhitori 320 and 310 with montana gold hp's the hp's are more accurate.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 19 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
guruofguns I have not tried N320 but I know that it has a very good reputation. If I can find some at a reasonable price I will certainly try some. The N350 shoots extremely well in my 38 Supers and 9x21.
Swampshooter I am afraid I have not been able to duplicate that group offhand! The sights are NOT match sights. That's my story anyway. I have not spent much time with that gun. recently I bought a Mark match timer on EBay so I have been spending quite a bit of time with my timed and rapid fire practice at 25 yards with 22 and 45.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, I wouldn't expect anybody except maybe a national champion class shooter to duplicate that group off hand, and then not every time. I was wondering if it would do that type of group with regularity out of a machine rest. I find groups like that exciting

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swampshooter, I realised your meaning after I posted my response. The Ransom rest belongs to a friend of mine. I am planning on trying out my 45's with the rest, so, when I do that I will put the 9mm to the test again, and post the results. May be a couple of weeks though.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned lots of accurate 9mms but the absolute hands down was a Browning HiPower target of about 20 years back. It came with fully adjustable sights,a muzzle weight I seem to remember and the trigger was without fault. Came in a fitted case. The second version came in a styrofoam box. Had both versions and wish I still did. Never did understand why they did not become popular but this was at the height of the 1911 craze and no one was into either 9mm or HiPowers

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Sams M9's routinely shoot into 1.5" at 50 yards. I had one for a while, but my screwed up neck precludes me from shooting bullseye any more.

The "sleeper" 9 mm target gun is the STI Trojan. They are solid sub 2.5" 50 yard guns with Match ammo.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a Browning HiPower target of about 20 years back. It came with fully adjustable sights,a muzzle weight I seem to remember and the trigger was

All the Hi Powers I have own were/are good shooting guns. I read when they were first spec out they were surpose to meet a 2.5 inch group at 50 yards.

I have shot several sub 4 inch groups with mine at 50 yards. More me and the ammo cheap PMC ball then the gun I never shot them off a good rest.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Calling a barrel match, target, competition, benchrest, sniper, long range or what ever means nothing quantitatively.

You need to study the size of the chamber vs the size of the loaded cartridge. If you have more than about.003 clearance worst case you need to fix the chamber. You may need to specify a close fit chamber with tighter than normal headspace. This may include taking more pain to load more uniform ammo so it will always funtion in a tighter chamber while the bullet is as large as possible to insure a good fit with the bore.

It has to be a precise fit - barrel to frame and slide
chamber aligned with bore
The Chamber has to have the proper dimensions
Bore has to have the proper dimensions
The size case chas to fit the chamber well
the bullets need to fit the bore.

You do all that and you gun will shoot I garontee.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post