THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullseye!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shoot (informal) Bullseye ie. I go out every week and shoot at 25(timed and rapid) and 50 yards slowfire. I shoot a High Standard Trophy and an S&W 41, a S&W model 52 and a Gold Cup (Kart barrel) and a Kimber 45. Bought a Kimber 9mm Target which did not shoot very well, so I just had a KKM 1x32 barrel fitted. Early results look promising.
When I say informal I mean not the monthly club matches (too time consuming) but otherwise formal Bullseye.
Have shot IPSC but not recently. Still practice stuff like El Presidente.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the KKM barrel also 9mm?
Could the problem have been the ammo?
The only Kimber I have shot was a 45 and it was extremely accurate.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

I have shot bullseye in pistol leagues, NRA matches, Shriner matches. Lots of fun. I have slowed down some but still shoot occasionally. A great pistol disipline. If anyone thinks he is a pretty good pistol shot but has not tried bullseye, he will humbled.

I have several High Standards, a couple of Model 41"s, a few Ruger targt grade, and two Russian Baikals. Several 1911's, and two S&W Model 52's. Oh nearly forgot, a 952 as well. I guess I'm eat up with it.

Craftsman

Posts: 1531 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
SR, yes the KKM barrel is 9mm, but it is a 1x32 twist. I tried various handloads with the stock Kimber. You are correct about the Kimber Target 45. I have one and other than a trigger job, I shoot it at Bullseye. Shooting 10 shot groups at 25 yards, the KKM is already much more accurate than the Kimber standard (9mm) barrel. When I called Kimber, they said I could send it back but their standard is 3-4" groups at 25 yards!!! For the "target" model! Nowhere near good enough for Bullseye.
Craftsman, how does that 952 shoot? I was tempted a few years ago and they are now even more expensive.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

I have shot my M-52's quite a bit and really like them. I have not had the M-952 that long and havent had the chance to shoot it. I find the M-52's a little inconsistant at 50 yds due to the full wadcutters running out of steam. One day in Dallas I shot five X'es with it. There is a saying about the M-52 at 50 yds, X's and fives. The big boys say the M-52 is best for indoor 25 yd stuff.

Craftsman

Posts: 1531 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craftsman. I have not shot my Model 52 at 50 yards much. Just enought to figure out the sight adjustment from 25 to 50. I find the grip a little different (longer front to back) than the High Standard and 45's but shoot it just as well at 25 as the 45. Will take it out this week and shoot it at 50! Hadn't heard about the "running out of steam" issue. A friend of mine uses a different load at 50 than 25 for his 45.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The blog will need some investigating.

I send out BP and this link:

http://www.usashooting.org/lib...pril_2011_pistol.pdf

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot bullseye for several years.

The S&W Mod 52 I had was scry accurate at 50 yards. However they are very sensitive to grip pressure, and sensitive to wind.

What 9mm bullet were you using?

Several, several years ago, I think it might have been the Air Force developed the 124gr flat point bullet. Hornady made them. I shot some of the Hornady Frontier [as it was called back then] 124gr FP and it still remains the most accurate factory 9mm I have ever fired.

I also had a Clark 38 Special 1911.

However most of the time I fired my Clark Custom 1911 Heavy Long Slide 45 ACP in the Centerefire events, as well in the 45 events...

While shooting Bullseye was not as exciting as shooting IPSC, the people I shot Bullseye with were a lot of fun to be around and a bunch of great guys. I really enjoyed it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy this thread has a life! NE I tried 115, 124 and 147 gr bullets in my 9mm. I started another thread on the results of my KKM barreled Kimber 9mm. I showed a target shot at 50 yards from a Ransom rest. 2"! As I recollect I was using the Sams load.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1002871/m/5421075971
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter, 2" at 50 yards is plenty good...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE the other bullet weights may be perfectly good, but the 1 in 32 " twist in my KKM barrel likes the 115gr. and seems to be the twist rate that Dave Sams uses.
Peter.