New
Find
Notify
Tools

NP-3 on Bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I noticed in an advertisment that Lazzeroni is selling Barnes TSX bullets with an NP-3 coating. Does this sound like a good, bad, or indifferent idea? I guess the idea is to decrease copper fouling, and probably more importantly, make the bullets look "cool". Has any one out there tried this? Thanks.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's an open question... With good point's as well as bad point's

Good point's stop's (( some )) copper build up
Look's really cool. You can store the bullet's longer with out worry of tarnishing or spot's ...

Bad point's ( bullet maker's ) > under sized die's
The mess for a small bullet maker's .. extra cost's
Add's three more step's in making a bullet.. drop's the cost you get to keep make the bullet.. more costly to make
them.... smaller market...............

If you really want cool bullet's i can coat them in gold for you ? but then again i really dont see the point .
Or would you rather i coat them in Silver ...

Cut and pasted..>

NP3 is a hard, corrosion resistant, self lubricating and dimensionally accurate finish.

NP3 is extremely corrosion resistant. A 1 mill (.001") thick coating can withstand a slat spray cirrosion test of 1000 hours per ASTM B-117.

Tolerances can be predetermined to meet your specific needs. Parts that are dimensionally undersized can be built up and retrieved rather than scrapping.

NP3 can be selectively applied by masking out any zero tolerance areas.

NP3 is aself lubricating coating. Parts that reciprocate, slide, turn or in any way interface with other parts are prime candidates for this coating. NP3 will provide a long term lubrication, a great benefit to parts that are inaccessible.

NP3 can operate in a wide range of temperatures. NP3 has been used in a wide spectrum of applications from cryogenic atmospheres to high temperature mold applications.

NP3 can be used in many hostile environments without any degredation. Medical equipment, food processing, firearms, rocket components, aircraft parts, machines, electronic assemblies and a multitude of other sensitive equipment have benefited from the attributes of NP3.

NP3 is very abrasion resistant with an as plated hardness of Rc 35-50. This property alone makes NP3 viable as a coating in high friction or high load applications. With post-plate heat treat, hardness can be elevated into the Rc 68-70 range.

In the end i come's down to hitting what you aim at .Not what the bullet is coated in

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote