New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Jacket Wall Thickness
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm using .030's I get from Butch as well. I don't hunt dangerous game. But I do go after moose every year.

I'm concerned about using thicker jackets because (for the same weight) the bullet keeps getting longer as jacket thickness increases. In the .35 bores I shoot, OAL and magazine length are issues.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The wall thickness of the bullets I used in Namibia was 0.030". They were copper and drawn by Butch Hairfield. Expansion was violent, with penetration through the chest cavity. Only one passed completely through, that was on a kudu. I haven't hunted with any other jackets, but have made some bullets with Malcolm Bone's, which, I believe, are guilding metal.

There kinda brittle to -- Malcolm Bone's

Well butch is..!! home now so let the jacket drawing start.!!!!

I got first dib's .....

.366 Jacket's .375 Jacket's .458 jacket's .510 jacket's

OoOo His truck's is still messed up...

Talked to Rich about maybe doing a Quadroplex die set...

And maybe we.!1 should see about trying to get butch to turn out some Tappered Jacket's say ? 0.0400 base's

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm using .030's I get from Butch as well. I don't hunt dangerous game. But I do go after moose every year.

I'm concerned about using thicker jackets because (for the same weight) the bullet keeps getting longer as jacket thickness increases. In the .35 bores I shoot, OAL and magazine length are issues.

I call moose DG ... And you know why....
Thay can get really Pis$y during the rut

That jacket thickness is why i was saying that we need to talk to butch about doing a run of about 500 Tappered jacket's per Diam i am up for it ....
Beside's i do need .510 and .458 and.. .366 in a tappered jacket i think Big ( J ) Could use some .308's and .375's
with a tapper as well .........

I understand Rick about the lenght issue...
I tryed some 550 .458 grain boattail's using a 0.4000 jacket and while it looked great it was far to long to chamber right It had almost Zero bering surf/about3/8's

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wall thickness of the bullets I used in Namibia was 0.030". They were copper and drawn by Butch Hairfield. Expansion was violent, with penetration through the chest cavity. Only one passed completely through, that was on a kudu. I haven't hunted with any other jackets, but have made some bullets with Malcolm Bone's, which, I believe, are guilding metal.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Glad to hear Butch is back home, it'll probably take him awhile to set up before he runs any jackets. Bone's jackets are brittle, but work well after annealing. They are very uniform weight wise.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Glad to hear Butch is back home, it'll probably take him awhile to set up before he runs any jackets. Bone's jackets are brittle, but work well after annealing. They are very uniform weight wise.

Ahh the J�germeister: big ( J ) Hi yas guy

Set up..! don't you mean recover? ..He just returned from his great adventure into the wild's Oregon
An adventure not light taken or one done by the faint of heart..!! Sound like the opening page's of the book i need to write...

Have the jacket's really changed that much ? from Austra/
I got one shipment and stopped... thay were really brittle.
Did you buy alot of the jacket's or just ? 1000 or so

Hay.!! i taked to Little Richard< new name now wap bang boom..
------------------------------
About a set of 577 Nitro swage die's..
-------------------Letter--------
The .577 Nitro Express is .585" diameter. I don't find a listing for a .570 Nitro but I have a couple of other sources to check. The .577 Nitro has a 3.0" case or a 2 3/4" case depending on the chambering. It throws a 750 gr. bullet at just over 2,000 fps. Should be OK for rabbits and maybe Whitetail.
A three die set to make a flat base. open tip or flush tip bullet would be $360.00. If you wanted to make lead tips the forth die is $105.00.
----------------------------------
God know's what i would do with it.. it's kinda like the .458 win mag lever action that's.++Almost done .I have no use for it but some folk's here ticed me off so i had it built anyway... i ordered a set of die's and it been now 7 week's Huntinton's is sure slow about getting them here...
------------
So J�germeister (Jungli Bains) ..!! this afternoon i stuck a jacket in my pointformer gezzz..It was one i made from the tubing that had a copper gas check as a base i forgot to bond the base in place and when i went to point form it the core slipped the jacket..!! @%*&&(@!!~!!�r..<
O happy day's.!!! Only took me about 20 min's 18 min's of cussing and two min/'s of putting enough lead into it to get it back out.....So How's you day been ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
What Jacket wall thinkness do you most often use for
your hunting load's when the game is of Elk type in nature

What jacket wall thickness do you use for DG

or do you just flip your jacket's over to make solid's
and if so What jacket wall thikness do you use ..Or do you use a tapperd jacket'

1.000 base ? tappered to 0.800?
Or heaver wall's............

Do you use or have you used anything other then Copper for a jacket on your bullet's ...

Brass..
Zinc...
Bronze..
Tin..
Silver..
Alum/