Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Resizing .358 jacketed bullets to .354
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
dian,
Should be possible, with some effort I've taken Turk military 8mm FMJ (0.323) to 0.312 for use in a Nagant. I use the Lee sizing die first in 0.316 and then 0.311.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick Swaging a bullet up OR down May... brake the bond
Doing it ( resizing) more then 0.0500 will start braking the bond...
------------------------
Rick.! you already know this
Or are you just highlighting the fact that it will ?
Sorry did not mean to step on your toe's here
Guess i need to look before i leap

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pottsy:

What if you draw a bonded core bullet down more than 5 thousandths? Would the bonding prevent core separation?

Rick

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Pottsy:

What if you draw a bonded core bullet down more than 5 thousandths? Would the bonding prevent core separation?

Rick

As it is i have tryed to take my factory .366 Diam
and bring them up.!! to .375 It never work's
So i ordered one set of .366 with a broad flat point/nose
jacket's of 0.0500
and another .366 set with a rebat/ boattail and mid/size
jacket requirment's 0.0400
When i have tryed in the past to bring a bullet up to the next size like .410 to .416 the core's broke there bond
Althought some of that is me and my bonding ablity's
But by a large magoraty thay broke bond......

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try it anyway .........Just becarfull your no first timer at this..You know up from down... if your using your OWN core bonded bullet who's to say maybe you will have better luck then me maybe it's just the flux i use maybe it's alot of diffrent thing's i do diffrent who's to say till YOU try it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pottsy:

To go with the set of .312 dies I've ordered from Richard, I've picked up two ring dies from C-H. One is a .311, and the other is a .308.

I figured the .312's would be good for my Winchester 1895, my SMLE's and my P14's. I figured the .311's would go in my SKS and Globco 555 (a rechambered and modified SVT 40), and I could draw a few down to .308 to try them out in my .308's and 30-06's.

I thought that the .004 being close to the .005 limit for drawing bullets down, I might be risking the loosening of my cores, and that I could mitigate this by bonding the cores first. It seems I may be mistaken.

Rick

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con:

Don't you get loose jackets doing that?

I understand that if you draw down more than 5 or 6 thousandths, spring back of the jackets causes the cores to loosen.

Rick