New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 cases.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read in a magazine of a bloke here in Australia using old .22 rimfire cases to make bullets.He used the case as the jacket and filled it with lead, then swaged it to size.Anyone else know anything??

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pistol and rifle case's can be used for the formation of bullet.

In the case of the .22 empty the information your looking for is here.. on Dave Corbin's web site

http://www.corbins.com/prrfjm.htm

The header on the page is !! Make FREE Bullets in your reloading press !!

The idea of using the empty .22 case date's back before

1964 .

---------------------

The empty case's make a fair bullet .

Before you jump head first into this remmber not all .22

empty case weight the same Rem/Win/etc .

But if you have some place were you can go and pick them up for free and you have a rifle then by all mean's

Corbin Manufacturing & Supply, Inc.

PO Box 2659

White City, OR 97503 USA

Phone 9am-5pm Mon-Thurs: 541-826-5211

Fax 24-hrs: 541-826-8669

-------------

I should add that 7.62x39 empty's cleaned and filled with bird shot can and are use to make very good .458 bullet's

may other shell case's can be used instead of jacket's

to form bullet's

It just take's a swage press and die's...

Try contacting RCE.Co Richard Corbin for more information on using shell case's as bullet jacket's

RCE Co., 4090 Colver Rd., Phoenix, OR 97535

Fax: (541) 512-9433

Phone: (541) 512-0440

richard@rceco.com

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have an old set of Herters dies that was made just for swaging spent 22 cases into jacketed bullets. It was given to me almost 20 years ago and I have never tried it yet. Had shooting buddy who swore by them though. He killed a lot of rock chucks and jack rabbits firing them from his Sako 223.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M1Tanker
Do you have any way of putting a photo of the die's up on this board...

I was wondering if the set of die's you have were the die's sold to Herter's by Ted Smith or if thay were made by Huntington's.. Or do you know ?

Thank's ahead of time

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I was making .22 bullets from rimfire cases. They were fun to make but I never found them to be as accurate as store bought. The picture shows an annealed case, case with rim drawn out and various bullets made from shorts, long rifles, and half jackets. The last one was just playing around. Used reloading press dies from Corbin.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hubbell, Michigan, USA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

M1Tanker
Do you have any way of putting a photo of the die's up on this board...

I was wondering if the set of die's you have were the die's sold to Herter's by Ted Smith or if thay were made by Huntington's.. Or do you know ?

Thank's ahead of time

Unfortunately they are in storage back home in Idaho or I would be happy to post a pic. The dies are all stamped "HERTERS". If I remember right it is a 4 or 5 die set. I know when the old gentleman gave them to me in 1984 (appx.) he had used them for years. I want to say since the 50's maybe. I hope that helps answer your question.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a set of dies Ted Smith gave me, maybe 15-20 years ago. Mr. Smith was a gentleman and he told me about his association with the Corbins.

I made a few hundred bullets with my dies and they work after a fashion. The bullets are highly explosive on game, have limited velocity compared to factory bullets....they have a superior alloy jacket and, with the cost of bulk Winchester bullets what they are, the effort required makes it not worth it. However, should facory bullets become unavailable, these homemade bullets are a far cry better than than nothing.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote