Find
Notify
Tools

Long term storage of lead bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted
Hi all, I'm a non-caster myself, but I recently bought several hundred .224 cal lubed and gas-checked bullets and a like number of .257 bullets. These were made decades ago, and I found a note with them stating that they were resized in '95. The note also stated that lead bullets expand, thus needing periodic resizing if not used.

My question is thus, How long can you keep these around before they can't be shot or need to be resized?

I didn't know this before, learn something new every day.

Teach me masters.

Go

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked some .22 caliber bullets that I sized in 1967.My micrometer reads to .0001.The bullets were sized to
.225 they still mike .225.They were cast of wheelweights.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many question's ( the were do you store them ) and the
(how do you store them ) question's make a diffrent's
Do you shoot for fun and the sport of just shooting or hunt
There is a diffrent way and will save you the never ending worry..

A special kit to make FREE 22 caliber centerfire bullets using recycled materials (fired 22 cases and range lead or soft lead wheel weights) is available from Corbin Manufacturing. The kit includes: Rimfire Jacket-Maker, to turn fired .22 LR cases into excellent .705-inch length (standard commercial) bullet jackets, Core Mould to form .185-diameter lead cores of any (adjustable) weight four at a time, Core Seat Die to press the cores into the jackets and form a concentric, tight assembly of the two, Point Form Die to finish the bullet by forming a 6-caliber spitzer radius ogive, Corbin Swage Lube, and the Corbin Handbook of Bullet Swaging, No.8 with full instructions and illustrations. (Click for price list)

The kit makes it possible to produce high quality jacketed .223/.224 caliber bullets in the range of 50 to 80 grains. The .22 LR cases make their best bullets in the 52-60 grain range. The same dies can be used with regular commercial bullet jackets. An extra core seating punch is provided for use with the commercial jackets. Open tip, lead tip, and full metal jacket styles can all be made with the set. For a higher quality lead tip, an optional LT-1-R 224 6-S lead tip forming die can be ordered. This reshapes the somewhat blunted lead tip into a spitzer shape for a more professional appearance.

For additional weight control, the optional CSW-1-R core swage die can be ordered, which bleeds off surplus lead from the lead cores, leaving a fixed volume of lead on each stroke. The weight can be set by you by the position of the die in the press head. Any sturdy reloading press that accepts 7/8-14 threaded dies and has a round ram with a diameter not larger than 1-1/8 inches will work with this set. Progressive style presses, turrets and other special designs that do not accept a standard RCBS type button shell holder are not suitable.

Corbin Manufacturing & Supply, Inc.
PO Box 2659
White City, OR 97503 USA

Phone 9am-5pm Mon-Thurs: 541-826-5211

http://www.corbins.com/prrfjm.htm

It makes it much funner to shoot and cost far less

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote