New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Inbalanced bullet's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Jump - I've seen Lyman bullet molds such as you describe but always just thought they were goofy looking bullets and never knew what the purpose was.

It seems possible the washer could come off in the barrel.?!

I've seen gas checks come off the base of bullets and hit the dust a dozen or so feet in front of the muzzle but they always get blown out, attached or not.

I GUESS the zinc washers do as well.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guy's i must have been living in a hole high in the hill's
for the last 40 year's and belive it or not Richard Corbin think's so to ...

I must have shot a quarter million zinc washers at the very least through my old 357 ruger single.
I would go over to ted smith's house and get a new bag of them about once ever 2 or 3 week's thay were 5 doller's per
1000 or 35 buck for 10.000 my father bought me alot of the bigger bag's becouse i was still in school at the time
and i was not making very much money selling my own bullet's
As far as the washer/-gas check coming off the dimple that is swaged around the the hole in the Zinc washer is large
and once driven down into the swage tightly it roll's over the the hole onto the washer and stop's it from coming off.
with that said yes even then but seldomly do thay come off.
i have reused alot of the washer's twice somtime's i have even gotten to use them three time's before thay were so badly damgae thay were of little use .

Like i said before i think that CH-- tooling ..Dave Davison still sell's the Zinc washer's i will drop him a line and ask

Guy's a note here if i may ...
Thanks to all you have posted....... you all have been a great help ... i will post more after i contact Davison i already wrote Rich a letter asking him what he remmber's about them ...

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hay arkypete hi

Yes i also have some of them as well thay have a much smaller hole in them then the Zinc one but the one's sold by . Corbin Work very well indeed.

The point behind this was me< trying to lenghten out the bering surfice of a VLD bullet by using a thicker gas check
giving the bullet atleast some surfice for the rifling's
to grab onto rather then changing the whole bullet design

But ya Dave does make's a good gas check

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin, I've no experience with zinc gas checks, so I'm out on a small limb with this one. When you say imbalanced I take it you are speaking about fore and aft as opposed to the axis of rotation. I doubt you'll find little difference with the change in projectile length from one to another, and unless your gun has a very marginal twist rate they should stabilize fine. Imbalance about the axis of rotation will not cause a bullet to keyhole except possibly in extreme cases.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reposted here

Question for ya Copper Country and for anyone else reviewing this post

Do you find any diffrent's between Copper gas check's
and Zink gas check .

Do you think one work's better then the other
Would thay work better do you think if thay were a bit thicker or would you think thay may inbalance the bullet to much and cause it to tumble at longer range's
Over say 300 yard's

like on a VLD Bullet in 308 would adding lightweight material like a thicker copper gas check or Zink washer type gas check Inbalance the bullet to much to cause key
holeing at longer range's like i said above.?

Anyone ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guy's.! come on sure you have heard of using Zich washer for gas check's..?

Guy's thay were one of the fisrt kind used in swaging
as an alternative to Copper. thay Have been using Zinc washer far longer then i have been swaging bullet's and that's before 1964
you can even still buy then for Dave Davison at CH
I think .
I just buy then from- Farr's -home town hardware-
There the type used with Ted Smith's swage die's
he would give ever person a bag of 200 Zinc gas check's
when you ordered a Swage die's set .

Come on guy's it's more then likly just been a l o n g
time since you heard of someone still using Zinc washer's for gas check's is all...

I can't be the only person ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Digital. I've never heard of Zinc.

From what I've read of ballistics there are some inherent stability issues in projectiles of varying shapes. In particular, I am speaking of the sharp pointed "spitzer" style as opposed to more blunt round nose. The spitzer style bullets do not stabalize well at low velocity...I suppose due to the extra length per given weight. But I'm really getting out of my depth here.

My GUESS is the type of metal used in a gas check isn't going to solve anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Martin. I'm an old fart but just have no recollection of this zinc washer thing. Maybe I grew up a sheltered kid.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Martin
I use Corbin's Basegard system for 45acp, 45 Colt and 357. Found them to most accurate.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin,

The zinc washer was used mainly with the Harvey's protex bore bullets, which Lyman made many moulds for. They lacked lube grooves and had a tit on the base that the hole in the asher slipped over. When it was sized, the tit expanded to hold the washer firmly in place. Now, zinc has a great affinity to repel lead..in other words lead won't stick to it. By shooting the zinc checked bullets, a coating of zinc was deposited in the bore and the lead bullet would 'slide' over the zinc and not stick (lead the bore). That was the theory anyway. Must have been considered a failure because they fell out of vogue years ago.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote