THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Public land outdoor activities and behavior

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Public land outdoor activities and behavior Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I have generally hunted and fished on private land and where access is largely controlled (Alaska and offshore fishing).

I recently started fishing some public areas in Florida (Sebastian inlet) and am surprised by generally how unfriendly other fisherman are.

I was kind of warned by my tackle guy that the place is not friendly.

People don't kind of respond to a hello, no small talk on the fishing or weather. Everyone is just fishing like their livelihood depends on it.

Strange behavior I have never seen surf fishing on a public beach. Fisherman are friendly.

I have stayed away from public land hunting in Florida.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Earth is getting too crowded and too serious!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:

Fisherman in NYC on the Hudson and east river are friendly.

I agree generally in crowded situations people get nasty and mean.

But this is fishing - a recreational activity.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew-up hunting on public land in New Mexico and felt comfortable enough. Granted:

1. I had one guy look through his scope at me near Silver City while deer hunting.
2. A guy took a deer away from me in the Sacramentos when I was 17 after I had shot it, and trailed it. He put the last bullet in it, so it didn't matter to me that he wanted it. I just wanted to look for a chest wound to confirm if that was "my" deer, and I could stop trying to trail it. The guy threatened me if I came closer. His son, about 14 years old, just stood there looking embarrassed.

3. Me and a friend had to move our camp because three men stopped and cased-out our camp after following us into the woods north of Houston.

There is some publically available hunting in Texas, but I'm not interested in public hunting anymore. Too many "hunters" don't know how to safely handle their weapons, don't obey laws, have little respect for the animals they hunt. It isn't a new phenomenon. I just don't have any patience for it anymore. Life is too short. No use trying to shorten it.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I try to hunt uncrowded BLM land, less and less of it as time goes on, but there is still enough of it. September fishing is not so bad where it's chilly in the mornings.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14389 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:

There you have it and it won't get any better. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have combatted the problem by choosing methods and times that reduce the competition. Bow hunting for example. Steelhead fishing in the winter.

When I lived in FL I would bowhunt St. Vincent's Island going an extra mile or two from camp dramatically reduced the competition.

It can sometimes limit your opportunities. But, I would rather not have to deal with the great unwashed masses when possible.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
These days it seems to me like hunting and fishing is much more about competing with your fellow sportsmen than about enjoying a past time, hobby or competing with the game or the elements. Now, we don't want to o give up that good fishing or duck pond to others nor will we surrender that good deer hill or elk Ridge to our fellow sportsman, we shove ourselves right in the middle of it. It's about me killing a bigger buck than you, you catching a bigger salmon than me. We can't be content with our own personal, private successes, we need the adoration of the crowds so we need to be there in the he middle of the arena fighting g for supremacy.

I had an uncle that taught me to deer hunt, he'd usually look for the biggest buck he could, kill it, eat it, and hang the antlers out in the barn. No fuss, no victory lap, no inner circled gold star whatever. Uncle was happy with his accomplishment and that was enough.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
We were fortunate to come in at the end of an era that allowed us to hunt anywhere just by walking up + asking the landowners permission.Also I would take my 22 to school + leave with the teacher so that I could shoot rabbits on the way home.I fear that we will never see those days again.I am thankful that I got to live them once.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I've hunted on public land all over Arizona for close to 70 years and never experienced anything close to what Kensco and Beretta682E have.

Guess I've been lucky.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote