New
Find
Notify
Tools

USS Yorktown theft Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
Does anyone have any update info on the theft of 5 Medals Of Honor that were issued posthumously to 5 members on The USS Yorktown drydocked + on display in Penn. I 1st saw this in an ad in one of my military history mags. that gave an FBI phone # for any info. There is no penalty too severe for those people. Curious if anyone has heard anything.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I answered this question from you before, but I'll try again. The theft occurred in 2004, 7 medals were stolen. 2 of the 7 were returned by FBI in 2009. There has been no further developments or medals recovered since then.

quote:
Agents bring medals home
Allyson Bird Aug 21, 2009 (0)

MOUNT PLEASANT -- Five dark-suited FBI agents showed up at Patriots Point on Friday with two Civil War-era Medals of Honor.

And while the agents had few details about the investigation it took to bring the medals to their new home, they didn't mince words when it came to describing the kind of people involved in the theft of the nation's highest military honor.

"I can't imagine anything more despicable than taking away the honor of those people who earned those medals," said David Thomas, South Carolina special agent in charge.

The FBI investigates stolen and counterfeit Medals of Honor nationwide. A judge, a police chief and a mayor are among those who have been arrested in these types of cases.

Retired Marine Maj. Gen. James Livingston accepted the star-shaped decorations Friday from Thomas at a reception in the Congressional Medal of Honor Museum, which is housed aboard the aircraft carrier Yorktown.

Neither of the two medals was recovered in South Carolina, Thomas said, but he would offer no additional information about where they were or how agents found them.

Livingston recounted the stories behind the medals: Thomas Jenkins, a Navy seaman aboard the USS Cincinnati, continued fighting even after realizing both he and his ship were doomed. George Emmons served in two separate enlistments, each time with one of his sons.

Livingston, a Vietnam War Medal of Honor
recipient who lives locally, said each star "represents the spirit of service of all Americans."

Speaking to the FBI agents, he said, "I think what you've done is bring back a little bit of America to the Medal of Honor Museum."

The FBI began pursuing stolen and counterfeit Medals of Honor even before Congress passed the Stolen Valor Act in 2006. That legislation made it a federal crime to falsely represent oneself as an award recipient and stiffened penalties for those who make or sell unauthorized military decorations.

In 2004, the FBI busted a Canadian man for allegedly selling Medals of Honor on Ebay. In 2007, a Pomona, Calif., water district official faced federal charges for making a false claim that he received the Medal of Honor.

Some of the suspects "displayed them very prominently in their offices," Thomas said. "How do you explain something like that?"

He said sentences vary by case.

S.C. Senate leader Glenn McConnell, who dealt in Confederate memorabilia for decades, said nobody ever brought him a Medal of Honor, the highest award for valor bestowed in the U.S. armed forces.

"On a Medal of Honor, I'd be suspicious," he said. "Why is that out there in the public realm?"

The two Civil War medals delivered to Patriots Point on Friday bring the collection there to 26. The Medal of Honor Museum keeps only one each from the Army, the Navy and the Air Force on display, according to operations director Victoria Kueck. She said the others stay in safes.

In 2004, someone stole seven medals from the museum by prying the top lid from a glass casing. Since then, the museum installed security cameras, motion detectors and glass sensors.

Officials know the same amount about where those seven medals went as where the newest additions came from.

"It's considered an open, pending investigation, and (FBI agents) are not at liberty to share any details about it," Kueck said. "We can just keep our fingers crossed the medals will show up one day."

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did'nt remember you responding to this before.Thanks for the feed back.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Civil War MOH awarded to my great, great grandfather, George Meyers, for action at the battle of Chicamugwa (spelling?)in 1863. I am asked from time-to-time by various local museums and historical organizations to put it on display. I simply will not do so. It is irreplaceable, and, as a matter of fact, un-insurable.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a shame that this should go into a safety deposit box for fear of theft. This should be displayed in the open before God + seven other white men.As to its uninsurability I will take you at your word;primarily they can not replace it nor can they establish value.The value was not monetary,it was earned on the battlefield. In one of Hemingway's early byline stories he the heading of What Cost Valor".This was after he saw a set of medals in a pawn shop window.Also most of us know about Joe Foss,MOH recipient from WW2,pres of the NRA,etc. He wore his decoration religiously,hell,I would. After 911 he tried to board a plane + the "security" people tried to take it from him as it looked like a sharp device.You could hear the shit hit the fan from coast to coast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With respect to insuring the medal, I have been told over the years that it would be "very difficult". The law is very clear that it is illegal to sell or buy one. So how would a company establish a value? I don't claim to know.

I keep it in a safe deposit box. It is encased in a display box. Occasionally I will take it to various functions and events, or to a school if a teacher asks me to share it with the students. But I never let it out of my personal control.

It will go to my daughter when I pass. She wants to make sure it is properly cared for when she passes and has expressed a desire to perhaps donate it to the Army, specifically to the current unit that has ties to the original unit my great, great grandfather belonged to during the war. She has also considered the Smithsonian, as well.

The bottom line is that we both want to make sure it is protected and properly cared for in the future. Donating it to an organization that will do so seems the best way to accomplish this.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree,thanks for sharing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
George Meyers

Either your typing or your spelling is a bit off (or the websites could be?), but he did win the Medal of Honor, a very brave man.....

quote:
George S. Myers, Army, Private, Battle of Chickamauga, Georgia Sep 19, 1863

Saved the regimental colors by greatest personal devotion and bravery.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Bad typing..... Myers. I also misspelled Chickamauga.

114-R10David