THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Texas Conservatives Planned Parenthood defunding breeds more Democrats.......

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Conservatives Planned Parenthood defunding breeds more Democrats....... Login/Join 
one of us
posted
quote:

What Happened to the Birth Rate When Texas Defunded Planned Parenthood

A new report published in the New England Journal of Medicine shows evidence of what women’s reproductive rights advocates have been warning about for years: When Texas defunded Planned Parenthood, births by low-income mothers increased, many of which were covered by Medicaid.

After Texas cut government funding for Planned Parenthood affiliates in 2013, researchers saw a steady decrease in the amount of effective, long-term birth control prescriptions that were filled. It also saw a steady increase in the number of births by women who had previously received birth control through the organization.

“Our analyses suggest that the exclusion of Planned Parenthood affiliates from the Texas Women’s Health Program had an adverse effect on low-income women in Texas by reducing the provision of highly effective methods of contraception, interrupting contraceptive continuation, and increasing the rate of childbirth covered by Medicaid,” write the authors of the report, who are from the University of Texas,

The Planned Parenthood centers served roughly 60 percent of the state’s low-income women. Texas’s decision to cut any funding to the centers meant that women who relied on effective measures of birth control (such as IUDs) from the organization were no longer able to access or afford them. The number of women using IUDs dropped by 35.5 percent in two years, and the number of women who continued to get the Depo-Provera birth control shot fell by 21 percent over two years in counties in which centers were shuttered.

The report is speculative and doesn’t show a causal relationship between Planned Parenthood defunding and a rise in low-income births, but it does reflect an important trend in reproductive rights. When Planned Parenthood centers are defunded or closed, it’s often the neediest who take the greatest hit. As much as opponents want to believe that women have a variety of other, nonabortion-providing places to turn for health care, that’s rarely the case. Women who use Planned Parenthood’s services are often left without anywhere to turn, as reflected in the rise in births. Not only does this cost women their reproductive independence and futures — the Medicaid-assisted births and government assistance needed to raise children born to low-income families adds up to serious costs.

This is the second time Texas’s Planned Parenthood organizations have been in the news recently — a Texas grand jury made waves with a ruling on the series of anti-Planned Parenthood videos that claimed to show the organization selling fetal tissue. The grand jury found no wrongdoing on Planned Parenthood’s part, but rather indicted the filmmakers.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will go out on a big limb here. They should have just modified the funding to say that along with every abortion, the person getting the abortion also was required to be sterilized. If you want it funded by the public, you only get one sniff at the feed bag. If you pay for it yourself somewhere else, more power to you.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
I will go out on a big limb here. They should have just modified the funding to say that along with every abortion, the person getting the abortion also was required to be sterilized. If you want it funded by the public, you only get one sniff at the feed bag. If you pay for it yourself somewhere else, more power to you.

This I can get on board with. It'll never fly. Idealistic youth and single women control the vote....along with scummy beggars.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the point was that Texans and others who criticize the birth control services of PP by cutting funding are being penny wise and pound foolish. This article was result of study published in N. Eng. Journal Medicine and not to quote the whole thing which is needless, the study found that cutting back on PP birth control services probably raised the medicaid paid for birth rate by about 1.9%. Those extra births are almost certainly all going to be on the public dole for at least their first 18 years, and possibly long after while they occupy cells or continue the cycle with new births. All this for lack of funding for injectable contraceptives, birth control pills, etc. Frigging stupid. Compare costs of birth control to maintenance of children. That money doesn't fall out of the air, it comes from us who pay taxes. It has nothing to do with abortion, this is pre-pregnancy planning/prevention.

PS: By law, none of the taxpayer funding received by PP can be used for abortions.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie, I'm sorry but I don't look at it as a money thing. I'll not say anymore.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I support Planned Parenthood both in the vast majority of their expenses (97%) which is used for women's health and for the 3% which all comes from private contributions that is used for abortions. Of course, I realize that money is fungible.

Unrelated to PP, I think they should have "Free Abortion" tickets at every bus stop and school. There would be a helluva lot less unwanted, abused, neglected, defective, drug addicted, mal-nourished, etc. children in this world that I and other taxpayers have to care for, including their mothers in many cases.

Anyone who wants to show concern for the sanctity of life, I certainly hope that NONE of them were stupid enough to support the Iraq invasion, for starters.

To quote that great philosopher, George Carlin:

quote:
Pro-life conservatives are obsessed with the fetus from conception to nine months. ... Conservatives don't give a shit about you until you reach "military age". ... Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
We will agree to disagree.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hhhmmm....It is the conservative Texans fault that women did not get free birth control. Those women than became pregnant and had babies. I am not sure I see a problem with the defunding.

The problem is using taxpayer money for things the government shouldn't be involved in. Removing the consequences for bad decisions only results in more bad decisions being made.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.It is the conservative Texans fault that women did not get free birth control. Those women than became pregnant and had babies. I am not sure I see a problem with the defunding.

To answer your first question, yes. Who do you think pushed defunding?

To follow your second, think harder, if you pay taxes, otherwise, it won't cost you anything. Or, to make it clearer, which do you think is cheaper, a few dollars worth of birth control, or paying medicaid for a birth and child support for 18 years? Not to mention ancillary costs for the mother.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or, to make it clearer, which do you think is cheaper, a few dollars worth of birth control, or paying medicaid for a birth and child support for 18 years? Not to mention ancillary costs for the mother.

Why do we have to choose either?

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do we have to choose either?

Because people of all economic classes are going to fuck, so do you want to pay for the results beforehand with a few pennies for birth control or after the fact with many dollars? It is not a question of "either or" but rather how much is the current and future cost to taxpayers? It's pay now or pay much more later.

The platitude of "why should we pay for either" is simply denying current political reality, similar to paying taxes. Very few people like paying them but we do because it is the law. Do you actually think we the people of the US are going to stop medicaid, welfare, food stamps, etc. Wake up and smell reality.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you actually think we the people of the US are going to stop medicaid, welfare, food stamps, etc.

Do you like the status quo then?

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do you ask? Do you have any real world solutions?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
When Texas defunded Planned Parenthood, births by low-income mothers increased, many of which were covered by Medicaid....It also saw a steady increase in the number of births by women who had previously received birth control through the organization.
That doesn't mean the two are related. If the women were eligible for Medicaid then they had access to birth control pills. Maybe all the government freebies and Obama's efforts to impede enforcement of immigration laws and to stop deporting illegals had an effect and we are just seeing more who decided to have anchor babies. Or maybe it means more women who wanted to carry to term did so when they were not subjected to pressure and brainwashing by Planned Parenthood propaganda and employees.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, pure coincidence, I'm sure. I would suggest you read the study in the NEJM.

Do you seriously think PP "pressures and brainwashes" pregnant women to have abortions? What would be their gain?

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
If we're choosing teams on this, I'm on Gato's team.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
If we're choosing teams on this, I'm on Gato's team.

And I couldn't ask for a better team mate. So, let's get some Q.

BTW I plan on going to Kuby's Sausage House tomorrow in Dallas to try some of their 300 yr old sausage recipes. Will report back.

xxxxxxxxxx