New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nuvigil Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
This may be a long shot but anybody here use a cpap machine, still feel tired and have been prescribed the drug Nuvigil? My Doc suggested/prescribed it for me today. In general I'm gun shy of prescribed drugs other than antibiotics. This one is fairly new, hate to be a guinea pig. Thanks.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I work as a pharmacy technician up here in Canada, and if the drug is on the market down there, it went through all the tests/drug trials that the FDA deems mandatory.

From the generic name, armodafanil, it looks like the company that markets it, reformulated an already on the market drug called modafanil.

We use modafanil for the same reasons up here in Canada, it is also available in the US, but this Nuvigil will be a new brand name that the company says works better. If it actually is better than modafanil, I'm not sure?

It isn't marketed in Canada, we are usually months and sometimes years behind the US in adding new drugs, not sure if our drug trials are more stringent than the US's, or if the Rx market is the same as the firearms industry, we're usually always behind!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested to know as well. Have worn a CPAP for going on 3 years now (actually got re-sleep tested because of tiredness, now using an even more irritating machine called a BPAP). Still tired most of the time ( I think the damn machine wakes me up most of the time; problem is, without it, I REALLY feel like crap). Tried one of the standard sleep drugs, weirded me out. Best of luck! It sure ain't easy, but beats the alternative I guess.
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
It's tempting. I didn't know anything about it so at the time he brang it up so I wasn't prepared to ask good questions. He did say it wasn't habit forming but it's listed as a controlled substance and the company web site suggests a potential to be so. Nothing worse than taking something that works and then having to stop to avoid future issues. I'm not sure if it's a short term med or long term. I have a appointment with my regular Doc and I'll ask more questions.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I had another look at the prescribing info for you, mostly concerning the controlled part. It seems they established the controlled aspect by the following procedure: Modafinil is reinforcing (rewarding), as evidenced by its self administration in monkeys previously trained to self-administer cocaine. They keep it controlled so druggies who seek stimulants can't get their hands on it. I wouldn't worry about forming a habit of taking this drug unless you have a history with stimulant or drug abuse.

Here are some other precautions I found:

PRECAUTIONS

Although NUVIGIL has not been shown to produce functional impairment, any drug affecting the CNS may alter judgment, thinking or motor skills. Patients should be cautioned about operating an automobile or other hazardous machinery until reasonably certain that NUVIGIL therapy will not adversely affect their ability to engage in such activities.
Patients with a recent history of myocardial infarction or unstable angina should be treated with caution. NUVIGIL should not be used in patients with a history of left ventricular hypertrophy or in patients with mitral valve prolapse who have experienced mitral valve prolapse syndrome when previously receiving CNS stimulants. There were also a greater proportion of patients on NUVIGIL requiring new or increased use of antihypertensive medications compared to patients on placebo. Increased monitoring of blood pressure may be appropriate in patients on NUVIGIL.

so in other words, don't take it if you have heart problems

NUVIGIL may interact with drugs that inhibit, induce, or are metabolized by cytochrome P450 isoenzymes.

which are too numerous to mention, make sure your doc knows if you are taking ANYTHING else

The effectiveness of steroidal contraceptives may be reduced when used with NUVIGIL and for one month after discontinuation of therapy.

I highly doubt you are taking any birth control, unless you would like to grow breasts?

The concomitant use of NUVIGIL and alcohol has not been studied and should be avoided.

as with any drug, common sense here

COMMON ADVERSE REACTIONS
In clinical trials, the most commonly reported adverse events (≥5%) were headache, nausea, dizziness, and insomnia. Most adverse experiences were rated as mild to moderate.

DRUG ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE
NUVIGIL is a Schedule IV drug. Although the abuse potential of NUVIGIL has not been studied, its abuse potential is likely to be similar to that of modafinil. Modafinil produces psychoactive and euphoric effects, alterations in mood, perception, thinking and feelings typical of other CNS stimulants. Physicians should follow patients closely, especially those with a history of drug and/or stimulant abuse.

from the tone of your first post, I highly doubt you are a druggie!

Hope you get something figured out, I know I don't sleep as well as I used to, ever since I quit smoking I can't seem to sleep as long as I used to, but I still get quality sleep. I'll take quality over quantity any day!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'll run things through at my next appoinment.