THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few comments:

How bad could it be to wake up every morning to the smell of barbeque?

Was the barbeque place in place before you took up residence?; just in case it is somehow horrible.

I'll have to remember the blowing bubbles routine if I'm ever called before a grand jury and want to take the Fifth. That's Classic.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
When people ask me how I liked living in Texas, I tell them I don't know, I lived in Austin.

Awesome.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the way to new place I bought in S Texas, making the best of a long ride, I went slightly out of my way to Sweetwater and stopped at.....

#87) Big Boys Bar-B-Que, 2117 Lamar St (Hwy70, about 1/4 mile S of I-20, kind of stuck back off the road on E side of 70) Sweetwater, Tx. In current Texas Monthly Top 50 in Texas with a score of 4.0/5.0. My incomplete (see following text) rating B+

I arrived about 7 PM, closing time was listed as 8, and ordered my regular, pound of brisket and a pound of pork ribs. Unfortunately they were out of ribs, so this review will be based on brisket and sausage, hardly definitive. Instead of ribs, I ordered a pound of sausage. "Do you have 2 types, hot and mild?" "No, just German sausage." Friendly guy. Sausage was very decent, better than average but not ethereal. Without checking not sure if made on sight, but probably not. The brisket, mesquite Qued, was quite good, good smoke ring, nice rub on outside. Not truly outstanding but a very acceptable product. They have beer, a big plus IMO, but since I had miles to go before I slept, I had to pass. All in all, I liked the joint, and would go there again. Not great, but very solid Q. I'll finalize rating when I get some ribs.

Because camp style cooking for one is a chore, I snacked on the Q for several meals and it held up well to my initial impression.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the way home, on Sunday, I drove to LLano to try a Texas Standard in Q....

#88) Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que, 604 W. Young St. (Hwy 29), Llano, Tx. One of the Texas Monthly Top 50 with a score of 4.5/5.0. My overall rating B--

First of all, to understand Cooper's and various other Central Texas Q joints you have to know that they don't barbecue in the sense that most of us think of barbecuing. They grill, cooking faster over direct heat from mesquite, rather than the much slower cooking using indirect heat and smoke that most of us consider Qing.

Later....(I'm going to fill in the background later)

So, I arrived just before 5 PM and found that I was in a line of about 25 people. Surprising, considering the time and amazing, considering the Q.

At any rate, fairly quickly I was at the selection pit. I asked for some Q Beef Ribs and some goat and they were out of both. They're famous for Q pork chops but I ordered a pound of brisket, a pound of pork ribs, a sliced off piece of burnt ends, and a stick each of the jalapeno and regular sausage. They estimate the weights outside and you go thru a cafeteria style line where you can select sides and deserts as well as something to drink. They have beer but because I was driving and already tired, I stuck with iced tea. They had a new one on me, pecan cobbler, which I selected and tried. Basically pecan pie in cobbler form, VERY SWEET but quite tasty.

Probably the best was the brisket, very tender, fairly smokey, and a solid product BUT the rub was really salty, nearly to the point of being way too much salt. However, with beer, like beer nuts, it would be great. The burnt ends, not surprisingly, were somewhat well done, but very good, but they were even saltier than the regular brisket, maybe being on the end and thinner they got more of the rub concentrated on this section of the brisket. That was the high point.

The sausages were fairly good, maybe a tad above average. Of the two, I found the regular to be my choice. The jalapeno sausage had almost no noticeable flavor of jalapenos or heat. They must be designed for all the Yankee diners who have not developed a taste for hot yet. One quite elderly lady in line behind me had asked "Which do you think will be the most tender?". I went into a long explanation of the cooking method and said that I normally found brisket was the most tender. She looked at me and said, "What's a brisket?" I laughed politely and asked, "Where are you from?" "Milwaukee." So I told her about brisket.

She chose the pork ribs which, if she got the same batch I did was a horrible mistake. The pork ribs were the worst I've gotten since I started this thread. They were overcooked, not tender, just a damn poor example of rib cooking. I would think that anyone reading this could do better with about 3 minutes of instruction on their backyard grill.

The sauce was interesting, probably designed for pork primarily, as it was quite vinegary, very thin, with some red in it. I really thought it was quite good and substantially different from most one finds in Texas Q joints.

This was a tough grading call, individually, I'd give the brisket a B++, the burnt ends a B+, the sausage, regular B and jalapeno B-, and the pork ribs were a C--. Rarely do I find such wide variation in the quality of the meats.

Would I go back? Probably......to double check these results and to try a couple of other items on the large menu, but I sure wouldn't go there thinking it was going to send me into Q ecstasy land. In addition, you're paying premium prices for only slightly better than average (at best) Q, depending on what you select and how lucky you get on the cooks for that pit.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This taken from a link in tmbbq.com (Highly recommended for all Q info).

Austin Q smell NY Times article (and now you'll know what a Nasal Ranger is):

quote:

New York Times

SundayReview | NEWS ANALYSIS

Would You Want to Smell BBQ All the Time?
By KATE MURPHYAPRIL 18, 2015

CITY COUNCIL meetings in Austin, Tex., tend to be droning, low-drama affairs, but that wasn’t the case earlier this month when barbecue was on the agenda: specifically, the smell of barbecue and a proposal to control it, in response to some citizen complaints.

The suggestion that a smell some would dab behind their ears if possible should be mitigated by special exhaust systems called smoke-scrubbers provoked local outrage, with opponents accusing the complainers of being from California (in Texas, that’s not a compliment).

But that’s the thing about smells. One person’s putrid is another person’s pleasant, and local governments around the country are having a hard time regulating what’s in the olfaction of the beholder.

If you time-traveled back 200 years or so, you’d likely scrunch up your nose. Our forebears threw sewage out their windows, and the primary mode of transport — horses — relieved themselves all over the street. And let’s not even discuss the pervasive smell of rotting food in the prerefrigeration era.

These days there is a product called Poo-Pourri (toilet odor inhibitor), and people place their dogs’ business in knotted plastic bags. Moreover, food that is mildly bruised, wilted or minutes past its sell-by date is dispatched to a landfill long before it can produce the slightest offending odor.

“We have so reduced the level of background odor pollution, we are becoming more sensitive to anything we smell,” said Pamela Dalton, an olfactory researcher at Monell Chemical Senses Center, a nonprofit group in Philadelphia that studies smell and taste.

Just 20 years ago, you might not have noticed someone smoking in the same restaurant where you were dining, whereas today you’d likely detect the residual odor of cigarette smoke on the clothes of someone simply walking past your table.

Over the years attempts by states and municipalities to regulate odor have led to a patchwork of legal guidelines subjectively enforced by inspectors who sniff the air and determine whether to make a stink about a stink.

In the past the offenders were typically livestock operations and wastewater treatment plants, but more recently odor inspectors are getting calls about smells emanating from ethnic restaurants, coffee roasters and candle and bath shops.

In an effort to be more objective, a growing number of locales have begun using a device called a Nasal Ranger, which looks like a megaphone for the nose and measures the intensity of smells according to a so-called dilution ratio. An odor is considered intrusive if the average person can smell it when it is diluted with seven parts clean air — a decades-old threshold of stinky, the origin of which no one I spoke to can quite recall.

“Unless we’re talking a rendering facility or asphalt plant, it’s rare to find anything that exceeds a seven to one ratio,” said Ben Siller, a licensed smell investigator with the Denver office of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

His city’s odor ordinance also considers it a violation if his department receives more than five complaints from different households about a smell within a 12-hour period. And that has been happening more often lately because of marijuana growing operations, recently made legal in the state.

“It has a strong musky, skunky odor when they are drying and curing the leaves,” Mr. Siller said. “But even that only registers two to one on the Nasal Ranger,” which he added is the same ratio registered when his neighborhood bakery bakes cinnamon rolls, and “I never get a call about that.”

That’s because whether we like or dislike a smell depends primarily on the context and associations we have with it. Unlike other senses, smell has a direct and immediate link to the limbic system, the part of the brain that produces emotions. Thus, smelling something triggers overwhelmingly strong feelings before we are even consciously aware we smelled something. As Rudyard Kipling said, “Smells are surer than sights or sounds to make your heart-strings crack.”

Which brings us back to the complaints about the barbecue smell in Austin. Although you might love the smell of slow-smoked brisket because of its association with satiation and good times with family and friends, you can come to hate it if you are forced to smell it when and where you don’t want or expect to.

“The smell becomes highly offensive because of the distress of being exposed against your free will,” said Rachel Herz, a psychologist and neuroscientist at Brown University and author of “The Scent of Desire: Discovering Our Enigmatic Sense of Smell.” “It’s similar to your neighbor blaring a song you once liked loudly and constantly.”

A spokesman for the New York City Department of Environmental Protection said that of the more than 10,000 odor complaints that came in last year, many were from residents upset about cooking smells wafting into their apartments from restaurants and coffeehouses — smells that might be pleasing when patronizing those same establishments.

“A lot of it has to do with tolerance level in neighborhoods that are getting gentrified,” said Mr. Siller in Denver. “People at lower socioeconomic levels may tolerate something much better than someone who moves into the same area and buys a house, sinks a fortune into remodeling and then goes out in the backyard and smells a pot grower, charbroiler, pet food manufacturer or something stinky like that.”

If a smell is part of a plume that contains particulates or other irritants, then it can cause inflammatory- and allergic-type reactions. But researchers said, for the most part, it’s the stress of smelling something you don’t want to that makes people feel sick. Physiological symptoms might include headaches, nausea, vomiting and high blood pressure. Psychologically, it tends to make people feel depressed, anxious and irritable.

Case law on odor liability is mixed, with courts sometimes finding in favor of plaintiffs (sniffers) and other times defendants (emitters), as well as ruling for and against insurance companies, which typically claim odors are pollution and thus not covered under many policies.

Recent cases in Manhattan pitting apartment building residents against odoriferous downstairs restaurants have ended in undisclosed monetary settlements and improved ventilation systems. But there are also cases that went to trial, like that of Maxine Furs in Birmingham, Ala., which failed to recoup $350,000 in cleaning costs after its inventory was infused with the smell of curry from a neighboring Indian food restaurant.

“The smell of Indian food makes me sick now,” said John Pechi, owner of Maxine Furs.

While there are technologies to control and deodorize odorous emissions, they are often prohibitively expensive, particularly for small businesses. That’s why Austin’s City Council decided to study further the proposal that would require barbecue joints to install them.

At Franklin Barbecue in Austin, where on a recent Saturday lines started forming at 9:30 a.m., the owner, Aaron Franklin, said the solution is for businesses to be good neighbors. “Our smokers are on the second floor so the smell dissipates before it drifts down, and we make sure our fires have a complete combustion so you don’t get that gross-smelling creosote,” he said. “And we make sure kids in the neighborhood get food for their birthday parties” so the positive emotional associations with the smell of his barbecue get imprinted early.

Kate Murphy is a journalist in Houston who writes frequently for The New York Times.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Again from tmbbq.com:

Only in Texas.....

quote:
Police: Texas Man Stole BBQ, Torched House, Led Cops On Corvette Chase

Patrick George
4/15/15 9:50pm

This is a crime story out of Texas, but it’s so insane it’s downright Floridian in nature. A man in my hometown of San Antonio faces multiple felony charges after cops say he stole brisket from a barbecue joint, evaded police in a stolen truck, set a house on fire, escaped in a stolen Corvette, and then was finally arrested after crashing the sports car.

Did I mention he’s accused of swallowing heroin? He’s also accused of swallowing heroin.

TV station KSAT 12 has the scoop on Alan Meneley, 34, who was arrested Sunday on charges that he stole brisket (the sacred centerpiece of all Texas BBQ) from Augie’s Barbed Wire Smokehouse back in February. Never been there but now I have to try it.

Authorities say State Troopers found Meneley in a stolen truck, and he led them on a chase but managed to lose them. He then set a house on fire, police say, but they didn’t elaborate on whose house it was or why.

From there Meneley stole a red Corvette Stingray convertible at gunpoint and led police on another chase, as one does in a Corvette, before he wrecked into a Mustang and was taken out of the game. He then tried to swallow some heroin during his arrest and was taken to an area hospital, which he unsuccessfully also tried to escape from, cops say.

Meneley may be connected to other brisket thefts in town.

Texas, everybody!

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going backwards on this one.

Tomorrow my son is taking me to Fat Cow BBQ, in Lewisville, Texas.

http://fatcowbbq.com/

If anyone has been there, let me know what you tried, and what you thought about it; or just warn me not to go, if it's that bad.

I'm not impressed with the menu. The Fat Japs sound interesting; but probably not go there at $2.00 a pop, even if he's paying.

The other thing is that my personal favorite BBQ now is a rib sandwich. It's like getting a meal and a half usually. Fat Cow BBQ doesn't show to have one.

The Buttermilk or Pecan pie sound like a good way to wrap it up.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend skipping Fat Cow BBQ.

I ordered the pulled brisket and Jalapeno Sausage(they don't have sliced brisket) Some of the brisket was too chewy. The sausage was OK. Everything was "pulled"; the beef, the pork, and the chicken.

The location we were at in Lewisville looked like it was being run by three generations of a family. Normally I like to see that. I wish them luck.

The Fat Japs were OK, but not to-die-for. My Sides were buttered corn and spicy pinto beans. The beans were fine. The corn just looked like something out of can, and kept too long.

There were two bottles of sauce on the table, Original and Sweet. The Original was almost too Sweet. I didn't try the Sweet.

There are two locations in Lewisville. The one we were at was nice and clean, and located in a strip mall.

I didn't find enough reasons to want to go back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If they cook brisket and don't serve it with at least the option of having it sliced, there is NO reason to go there to start with.
Damn. Where are they from and WTF are they thinking?

At least you saved me from that joint. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
A good friend and some companions went to Killen's Q in Pearland today only to find that it was closed on Monday. So they went to Gabby's Barbecue, 4010 Spencer Hwy, Pasadena, Tx. I'm not counting this as a review, because I wasn't there, but based on my friend's (whose Q judgement I trust) evaluation, I won't be there, so this will have to do.

Ribs were very solidly good, with great smoke flavor, probably a B+ level of ribs.

Brisket was also good and smokey but WAY overcooked, totally dried out.

Deserts were unspeakable, inedible.

I'd eat at McDonalds first. Overall grade B--

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some reading recs:

I've mentioned these first two before but tmbbq.com by Daniel Vaughn is well worth visiting, nearly daily.

Daniel Vaughn's book, "The Prophets of Smoked Meat", is a good read and guide to Texas Q, but the layout makes for difficult research if you're looking for a joint to eat in. Hint:
Go to front of book, find a well known Q joint in the area you're interested in and go to that section.

I really like a relatively new book, "Barbecue Lover's Texas" by John Griffin and Bonnie Walker. The only drawback from my POV is they don't grade the joints, but you can read between the lines. MUCH easier to navigate than Vaughn's work. VERY HIGHLY recommended.

Robb Walsh seems to turn out a new cookbook every new moon, but I really like one of his later efforts, "Texas Eats". Divided into sections of types of cooking, and the recipes are reasonably simple, which suits my cooking talents. Highly Recommended.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Gato,

Do you only have this information on 18 pages of AR? I'd think you could come up with a similar publication of it could be easily searched. Heck, you've done a lot of research.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not a writer and this is my only Q reviews. However, I have thought of starting a separate thread with a alphabetical list of the joints I've reviewed and the pages they are on, just haven't done it yet.

Not to mention the field is getting crowded. For those who don't keep up, Q has become one of the "in" foods. Probably not a good thing. They have opened a Texas style Q restaurant in Paris, and I mean THE Paris, as in France. NYC has a couple now as well.

NYC has such good food that I hate to go there and eat Q but I might review one or two if I return there anytime soon.

If anyone desperately wants a Parisian Q review, I can be hired for the job. I'll work cheap, but the expense accountant might be a problem. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Voodoo BBQ

http://www.guidelive.com/food-...t-voodoo-open-frisco

This is worth a shot. Sometimes just saying BBQ turns some noses up; as in, been there, done that. Throw in "New Orleans style" and I think that should convince anyone to have a go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in.

Please report back if you get there before I do. I am scheduled for a Heim Barbecue in Ft. Worth effort in the near future, probably next week.

http://www.dfw.com/2015/04/29/...w-heim-barbecue.html

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Union Urban Barbeque coming to Richardson.

http://www.guidelive.com/food-...-richardson-cityline

It will be interesting to see whether the Q market gets saturated anytime soon in North Texas; and who the losers will be once it does.

Just in the last year, in Allen, I watched Bar-B-Cutie

http://www.bar-b-cutie.com/

go out of business due to competition with Big Ray's BBQ about a half mile away.

http://bigraysbarbeque.com/

Then what should open in the Bar-B-Cutie building..........Soulman's Bar-B-Q

http://www.soulmans.com/tag/allen-bar-b-que/

That should put pressure on Big Ray's.

Talk about dog-eat-dog.

Looks like Richardson, Plano, Frisco, Allen-McKinney, Garland, Mesquite, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Euless, Coppell, etc. is becoming the Barbeque Capital of Texas. You still have all the Dickey's and Spring Creeks on top of all the new places. Hard to see everyone coming out a winner.

One sure winner are the customers that love the stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno about Big Ray's Q, but Soulman's is not going to be real competition for any decent Q joint, although, to some extent, it depends on their pitmaster at any given location. The ones I have tried range from poor to decent commercial Q. Unless it was Soulman's or, say, McDonald's I'd try another Q joint.

But you're certainly right about the Q market getting saturated. Q is "in" right not, but trends don't last, and the good joints with good customer service will be there when this one ends. Many others, new and old, won't.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even in Austin, common sense surfaces every now and then....

quote:
Committee Votes Against Requiring Scrubbers For BBQ Food Trucks/Restaurants

Updated: Monday, May 11 2015, 09:26 PM CDT

A debate is firing up Monday afternoon, about the future of BBQ in Austin. City code could be changed to reduce the impact of smoke from restaurants and food trailers on residential areas. The Economic Opportunity Committee is taking a hands off approach to regulating Austin BBQ. The four members voted unanimously this afternoon not to require BBQ food trucks and restaurants located near residential areas to install smoke scrubbers.

Scrubbers remove gases and particulates from smokestacks. This afternoon the owner of The County Line BBQ Restaurant said an estimate he recently got for a scrubber came in at $56,000. Maintenance is higher, costing an estimated $100,000. Skeeter Miller says no BBQ food trucks or restaurants can afford that. "It would cost a restaurant an unbelievable amount of money. It would really stymie growth in the restaurant industry in this city,"said Miller.

The Economic Opportunity Committee voted not to pursue a city ordinance requiring scrubbers.

Members also voted against developing a nuisance ordinance targeting BBQ smoke from food trucks and restaurants near residential areas. They are recommending to the Austin City Council that each situation be evaluated on a case by case basis. By: Bettie Cross

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Southern Living

A BBQ Pitmaster Is Now the Southwest’s Best Chef
May 7, 2015
By Robert Moss

He’s not wearing whites or a tall toque, but per the James Beard Foundation Aaron Franklin is the Best Chef in the Southwest

On Monday night, Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue in Austin, Texas, took home the James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef Southwest. My first reaction upon hearing the news was to think back to another unlikely winner from the South. In 2008, Robert Stehling, the chef/owner of Charleston’s Hominy Grill, won the Best Chef Southeast award, and it was a rather controversial pick at the time.

Stehling, after all, wasn’t running some high-end white tablecloth place with a lot of foie gras and truffles and all the other trappings then considered essential for fine dining. It was (and still is) a neighborhood restaurant in an old converted barbershop. You pick your veggies meat-n-three style from a big chalkboard on the wall. It’s open for breakfast, serving sausage and pancakes and a concoction called The Charleston Nasty—a fried chicken breast on a biscuit doused in sawmill gravy.

Stehling’s award was a shot across the bow that down-home Southern-style cooking—the kind not unlike what one’s grandmother might have served—could be and should be taken as seriously as things with high falutin’ French names. It paved the way for the national vogue of Southern cuisine and the success of other Southern-centric chefs like Sean Brock and Ashley Christensen, and it helped usher in a much more casual mode in our fine dining restaurants.

Two months ago, when Aaron Franklin’s nomination for Best Chef Southwest was announced, I admitted to having mixed feelings about it. After all, slow smoking brisket and ribs on a wood-fired pit isn’t exactly the same as leading a large brigade-style kitchen and meticulously plating elegant courses.

But then, a few weeks ago, I ate at Franklin Barbecue for the first time, getting there at 7:40 a.m. to get a good spot in line (just 20 back from the front) Before I even had my first bite my reservations about the Beard nomination had already started to fade.

Not because I like standing in line for barbecue (I certainly don’t!). But I could see right off that Franklin is not just serving food but orchestrating an overall dining experience, one that starts with the hours-long wait just to get in the door and ends with the big roll of brown butcher paper with which you can wrap up your leftovers to take home.

All the elements combine for that overall experience: the community “take-a-chair, leave-a-chair” bin (for those who neglect to bring their own folding chairs for the line), the periodic staff announcements building that sense of anticipation, the whiff of post oak smoke occasionally wafting over the line and making our stomachs growl.

The barbecue, as I expected, was remarkable. The brisket was flawless, especially the lean version, whose thin fat cap had a captivatingly tangy edge to it. The sausage had the ideal crisp snap to each bite and wonderfully rich flavor inside, and even the spicy, beef-studded beans in their savory broth were beyond reproach.

The real key was this: Aaron Franklin wasn’t there that day. He was off in San Francisco, cooking at an event to promote his recent best-selling cookbook (sounds a lot like a celebrity chef, doesn’t it?). But except for the fact that he didn’t come out and work the dining room as he normally does, you wouldn’t have known it. (Benji Jacob, Franklin’s general manager covered the guest-welcoming duties quite capably). It’s a testament that Aaron Franklin not only knows how to manage a pit but also how to lead a crew—to ensure the same consistent level of quality even when he’s not there. That sounds an awful lot like the definition of a chef to me.

I think Franklin’s winning the Beard Award is a big thing for barbecue—another step in its progression from being an unheralded everyday kind of food to being recognized as one of America’s great culinary traditions. I also think that, like Robert Stehling’s award back in 2008, it’s part of a larger trend that is breaking down the once-rigid boundaries with popular cooking and high-end cuisine.

And that line at Franklin’s isn’t likely to get any shorter any time soon.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably not for me, but....

quote:
Forget dive watches – GrillTimer is a barbecue watch
By Ben Coxworth May 13, 2015

In the past, Michigan-based outdoor cooking enthusiast Jon Stein used his dive watch to time the cooking of foods on his barbecue. Once he realized that he barely ever used the watch for its actual intended purpose, however, he set out to make one that was specifically designed for use by his fellow grillers. The GrillTimer is the result.

Like a retro dive watch, the GrillTimer has a bezel-style timer – the big difference being that it displays cooking times for eight popular barbecue items.

To use it, you just twist the bezel so that the watch's minute hand lines up with the start of the cooking time for the food you're cooking. As the hand progresses, the bezel display will indicate when you should flip the item, how "done" it's getting, and when the cooking is complete. Needless to say, individual grill temperatures and meat cuts will vary, but Stein is confident that the suggested times will serve as a good guide.

The bezel only turns in one direction, so it can't accidentally be bumped back to an earlier point in the cooking time. Additionally, an accompanying guide lets users know what other foods the displayed cooking times can be applied to – for instance, if you're cooking scallops, lobster or shellfish, you can use the watch's "shrimp" setting.

The GrillTimer itself has a stainless steel case, Seiko quartz movement, a scratch-resistant mineral crystal, and is water-resistant to 10 m (33 ft). It's also reportedly "sauce resistant" to three tablespoons.

Much as we think it could be handy for cooking, we particularly like the idea of it being worn in non-grilling situations. Imagine the looks it would get if you were wearing it in a board meeting or while arguing a court case, for instance.

If you're interested in the GrillTimer, it's currently the subject of a Kickstarter campaign. A pledge of US$40 will currently get you one, when and if they reach production. The planned retail price is $50.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, not only does he wear a tin-hat but he don't know squat about Q. Is he really from Texas or is he an alien beamed down to cater to the nuts?

quote:
“The most important thing about barbecue is sauce.” Governor Abbott

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really! I always thought it was the meat. I'll have to try some sauce next time I'm in Texas. Here in PA anything with sauce on it is called barbecue.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could get Abbott to come over for Bar-B-Q at my house. I would throw my left, Size 9, Danner TFX in the smoker for a few hours, then have my wife prepare her killer Bar-B-Q sauce, or he could bring his own; and see if his opinion has changed any.

Right about now I need Abbott to do something that doesn't embarrass me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I made a road trip, on Tuesday, to pick up my son after he finished his classes at UT Austin and take him out to see my new place in Val Verde county.

Not to waste a trip, arrangements were made to meet my Q eating buddy from Ft. Worth, his daughter, and my son at Louie Mueller's in Taylor for lunch. Revised review to follow.

On the way, as on a previous trip, I stopped by Stanley's in Tyler about 8:00 AM for a breakfast snack of Qued brisket. I asked for and received a pound of "charred and fatty" and got exactly that. It was absolutely excellent. Slightly better than the last time, and a truly excellent brisket. I'm going to have to make the 2 hour drive down there when they have ribs, starting at 11 AM, to see how they do them. Supposedly their ribs are better than their brisket...if true, that makes them the best in the state. We'll see. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
The following is my initial review of Louie Mueller's in 2009, my follow up in October, 2012, and my review from last Tuesday, May 19th, 2015.
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I had to make a quick trip to Cotulla Texas last Thurs and Fri to look at a ranch I was considering buying. I could have flown with a friend who was considering partnering the deal with me, but I elected to drive so I could visit a few more Q joints. I was lucky and went to two of the top 5 in Texas Monthly's rating last year. It killed me to drive right by 3 or 4 more really highly rated places but there is such a thing as Q overdose and I'm doing this for fun, not profit.

First place I visited was:

23) Louie Mueller Barbecue, 206 W. Second, Taylor Tx. Tied in Texas Monthly's ratings with 4 others at a perfect 5.0 for second best in Texas. Mentioned in almost all Q books which cover Texas Barbecue.

I got there after a pretty long drive at 5 after 6 PM Thurs aft. Pulled into parking lot and my heart fell, sign said, 10-6, Mon-Sat. I though, "This is a real bummer, missed it by 5 minutes.", but I saw someone inside so figured maybe I could beg a brisket out the back door.....went in and found that they had extended their summer hours and were open until 7:30. That was the best news of the day, closely followed by their having Shiner Bock on draft. Even tho alone, I wanted a good sampling so I ordered a pound of brisket, a pound of ribs (they only had a 1/2 pound left so I took that), a pound of pork loin, and a ring of sausage. Nothing like a light repast.

Place is huge, used to be girl's basketball court way back when, has walls about 18-20 feet high and has 3 pits stuffed with post oak in back. They've been cooking great Q on this spot since 1959, started by current owner's Daddy. He hasn't lost the family touch.

They serve their draft beer in frozen pint jars. Worked for me. The bartender/cashier, a very friendly lady named Sonja, served me a couple and a smile.

Now to the point of this, the Q. They cook their Q with a rub of cracked or very coarsely ground peppercorns and probably a bit of salt. It comes out a helluva lot better and more complex than that would indicate. Brisket was heavily smoked and very tender. Just about as good a Brisket as you can get. I wouldn't say the best I've had, but certainly a very strong contender. You can eat different styles that you may appreciate more, but it would be hard to eat better pure Texas Brisket. Surprisingly, the ribs, cooked with the same rub were nearly as good, athough the Brisket was the star of the ball, without doubt. I don't recall any place I've visited yet that had the main two meats so close in quality. The pork loin was somewhat disappointing, possibly because of the dryness of the meat initially (meaning they can't smoke it for very long or it will really dry out) it had little real smoke flavor or penetration. Good meat, but not great Q. The sausage was good but not great. I'm not a real sausage aficionado, I make my own, and, while I still haven't perfected my processes, I am not fond of the overly fatty products sold commercially. This was good but not great. I should have tried the jalapeno style, but you can't try everything in one trip. I will be back. Only real bummer was the barbecue sauce. It was basically drippings, with little added flavor or spice. I didn't hate it, but it didn't add much or change the meat impact for the better. The quality of the sauce was not approaching the quality of the meat and was best left off for my tastes.

I guess, taking it all into account, atmosphere, history, and, of course, by far the most important item, the Q, I'm going to give it a solid A for an overall grade, my highest so far. Better sauce would have added a plus, for sure.

quote:
While in Taylor, and being only 3 blocks from Louis Mueller's at the Taylor Cafe, it would have been un-Texan not to stop in for some Q, so here is.......

#23 addendum) Louie Mueller Barbecue, 206 W. Second, Taylor Tx. Tied in Texas Monthly's ratings with 4 others at a perfect 5.0 for second best in Texas, behind Snow's. Mentioned in almost all Q books which cover Texas Barbecue. I originally graded it A, but based on my latest visit I am downgrading it slightly to A-.

Don't get me wrong, it is still extremely good, but the brisket, moist variety, was just a tad overcooked and just a tad less than perfect. I bought 6 sausages to take home, 2 each or original, jalapeno, and chipotle, but my crew ate them before I could get a taste. Mad I did try something different, which was the Qed Beef ribs which were absolutely wonderful. These things are HUGE, weighing between 1 1/2 and 2 1/4 pounds each. They are, to my tastes, without doubt better than the brisket.
A solid Q eater might be able to eat one on his own, but he better plan on sleeping it off somewhere.

OTOH fame has its priviledges, I suppose, and Mueller's prices are the highest I've found for Q, running $14.59/lb for brisket and the beef ribs and $3 each for fairly small sausage links. Considering that a beef rib has a huge rib in it, homer , that weighs at least 6 to 8 ounces IMO, that makes a beef rib meal of one rib costing about $20/lb and at least $25 for the whole thing. Well worth it, better than most ribeyes you'll ever have, but certainly on the high side for Q costs in rural Texas. Of course being only 30 miles or so from Austin may not make it truly rural anymore.

You won't be disappointed if you go to Mueller's and I hope my very slightly less than perfect brisket was not a trend. As anyone who cooks Q knows, each brisket is a story unto itself and one brisket whether extra good or not up to the usual standard is only a sentence in the whole story. Don't get me wrong, I'd go back for brisket or, especially, a beef rib in a NY second, nearly drooling as I think about it now.

So we all met at LM about 12:45 and went inside to chow down. To those who haven't been there, LM's is the quintessential Q joint, old, dark, cavernous, smoky, with a slight grease coating to finish it off. My Ft. Worth friends were impressed. Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. We order about 3 pounds of beef ribs ($21.49/lb), 3 pounds of brisket ($20.98/lb) and a couple of pounds of pork ribs, not the baby back variety, which they have as well.

The brisket was fine, but the rub and the general taste was just not as great as prior tastings.

The beef rib was also fine, but slightly overcooked, and again, substantially less wonderful, than in my prior visits.

The pork ribs were the least of the three, ok, but I'd just give them a very good, at best, rating.

The sauce is certainly different than any other, being more like a manhattan style tomato soup, fairly hot with peppers, and a quite obvious vinegar flavor. I liked it, but I think I was the only one of the 4 of our group who did.

While I normally don't order desserts in Q joints, I made an exception this time for some interesting looking banana pudding. Served in a small round container, with vanilla wafers on edge and top, it was really excellent if, IMO, grossly overpriced at nearly 5 bucks for maybe 3 ounces of pudding, at most.

Overall, I am sad to say, that while I had long considered LM to be the ne plus ultra of Texas Q, it has fallen from grace. I now give it a B+++, certainly very good, but no longer in the top 5 in Texas IMO. Only about 35 miles NE of Austin and certainly worth a visit for the Q and the atmosphere but not the best in Texas any longer.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stabbed for taking the last rib.
Must be some good Q up in Indiana, requires research.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/...taking-the-last-rib/

Posts: 1229 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
4) Coleman's BBQ in Clarksville, Tx (604 N. Martin Luther King, phone 903 4275131) overall rating B++ (see description) (Tx Monthly score 4.0 on 5 pt scale)

Wow, this was some good Q! I only live about 25 miles from the place but their hours are THEIR hours and I'm rarely in Clarksville when they are open, plus it is located a bit off the main drag and you just don't think about it as you drive by, so this is (hang my head in shame) the first time I've tried their Q. It won't be the last.

At any rate, this thread inspired me to run over there....and I do mean run......looked up and it was after 5 and they close at 6 or when they feel like it......#1 Daughter and I jumped in truck and took off, getting in door at about 5:30.....they put the "closed" sign up 10 minutes later.

I guess I liked this so much because it is the style of E Tx, N La Q that I grew up with, real smoke, real wood, no pre-cooking, no electric burners.

Clarksville is the county seat of Red River County, which is the NE Tx equivalent of a third world country. Coleman's was started by Dwayne (sp?) Coleman's father 36 years ago and is a local institution. Dwayne, who owns the place now (I suppose, didn't ask), is a somewhat rotund 50ish black man that really knows his Q.

As mentioned, they have kind of odd hours for a food service business.....M 11-3, T-Th 11-6, F 11-7, and closed Sat and Sun. They also close when they feel like it, as mentioned they put the closed sign up today at 5:40.

Daughter and I order a pound of sliced Brisket and a pound of pork ribs. The Brisket was the star but the ribs were also quite good. I think, that if we had been there earlier in the day, the overall rating could easily have been B+++ but by this time, the ribs had probably been out since mid-day and were not as prime as they could have been. Brisket has good if somewhat thin smoke line, was nearly cut with a fork tender (which is REALLY tender for smoked brisket with no pre-cooking or wrap) with a thin but distinct smoke line and good bark with a heavy smoke but not burnt flavor. Yummmmmm..... Ribs were just a bit dry on outside, solidly smoked and good. Sauce was really outstanding, much different than almost all other Tx Q sauces I've had so far......you just don't ask ingredients, but it is a watery thin semi-clearish tan sauce, with meat drippings (I think), vinegar, brown sugar, black pepper and whatever else in there. Vinegar and sugar are undertones, not overbearing.....EXCEPTIONAL to my taste. I debated a while whether to give this place two pluses or 3 and finally decided I'd be conservative and settled on 2. Daughter is not a big eater normally but between the two of us we ate ALL of the brisket and had one rib left and she probably ate more than I did. Being the prince that I am, I ordered 2 pounds of brisket for rest of family to carry home (they were at #2 daughters softball practice).

Dwayne uses straight hickory for his wood, only thing electric is a damper which controls heat levels all night.....most briskets are cooked about 15 or more hours.....I didn't think to ask about the ribs. He fires it up when he quits for day, puts the meat on, and takes it off sometime the next morning.

Seems odd but this is a really different style of Q than most of what I've had in Central Texas, not like another planet, but more like another region which, duh, it is. Also, my comments on the sauce are, obviously, to my taste and someone who is just as fanatic about Q as I am might not find it to be to his tastes. Hard to describe but sort of a Q equivalent of au jus sauce. It is different, but the meat is without doubt excellent. I wouldn't call it wonderful but really quite good. I'll be better able to evaluate it after a few more stops on the BBQ trail. That sounds kind of odd for someone who's been eating BBQ for almost all of his 60 years but it is different when you're eating for grades/comparisons. Most of the time, you just think, well, this sucks, it's ok, it's good, or it's great and don't really try to analyze why. I'm not claiming I'm any good at it, but I'm doing it the best I can.

Finally, Coleman's reputedly has excellent homemade on sight tamales. They were out by the time I got there as they were the only other time I tried to buy some a few years back, so I am reporting this based on word of mouth (pun intended). Tamales are about $10/doz.

I dunno why you'd be in Clarksville, but if you're there when they're open Coleman's is certainly worth a stop.

Update: June 8, 2009 My whole family and I revisited Coleman's today and ordered 2 pounds brisket, 2 pounds ribs, and 1 pound pork......It was a very close call, and I couldn't argue with someone who rated the pork better, but I think the sliced brisket was still the star followed by the sliced pork (which we didn't have on the first visit) with the ribs running a fairly distant third. They're good, but are full sized pork ribs and just aren't quite as good as the brisket and pork. Rating remains same, but well worth a visit if you can catch them open and are in the area.

May 28, 2015

Re-visited Coleman's today for the first time in quite a while, in fact, since before Mr. Coleman died about 3 years ago. It is now owned and run by his son.

It is the closest decent Q to my home, but I rarely am in Clarksville at lunch time. Although now, they are open somewhat longer hours, from about 11-6, 11-7 on Fridays, weekdays, closed Sat. and Sun.

I had heard the Q wasn't as good and, unfortunately that is true. I ordered a pound of brisket, and a pound of pork ribs. Both were edible but neither was much above decent eating. The ribs were quite a bit better than the brisket to my tastes, but still not anywhere near the "WOW" stage.

The sauce is still very good to my tastes, with more spice (pepper) than I recalled from before. One of the few Q sauces I've had which can actually be called hot, although not overpoweringly so. Served warm, as well.

People are friendly and I'd like to give them a higher rating, but my current grade is B-. I would eat there if in Clarksville and wanted some Q but otherwise, not worthy of a side trip.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you just hit them on a bad day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Maybe you just hit them on a bad day.

Of course, that is always a possibility, either way. But I have to report on what I eat, not what it MIGHT taste like IF it was better.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I buy this USA Today poll.

http://www.guidelive.com/food-...ng-usa-today-readers

Just shows the shallowness of traveler's opinions. The last thing you should ever do, is ask someone that knows nothing their opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Laughably wrong. Obviously the USA today readers have no clue about Q.

Sonny Bryan's might not make the BOTTOM 50 in Texas, but it damn sure ain't in the Top 50, much less #1.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ate there a lot in the mid 70's and thought it quite good. It has changed and does not qualify in the top echelons any more...sadly!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the Luling City Market Last time I ate there it was pretty good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like the last thing we need on TV is another competition cooking show, but at least the subject is right this time.

http://www.guidelive.com/food-...le-dallas-fort-worth

"...smoked brisket with sautéed kale and a mac and cheese ball encased with ginger cookie crumble", versus, smoked brisket with "borracho beans and broccoli casserole". Yeah, that sounds like real Bar-B-Q alright.

One thing about Bar-B-Q cooking competition show participants, about half of them look like candidates for The Biggest Loser reality competition show. (About 90% of them in the case of BBQ Pitmasters.)

I've been tired of "competition" reality shows for years now, but I guess the rest of the world isn't. My gripe is that the "judges" aren't usually experts, they are just some goober with an idea for a TV show who reflects his personal tastes in food, music, women, etc.

They usually stretch the meaning of the word "reality". But hey, if you are a lover of sautéed kale and broccoli casserole, this Bar-B-Q show may be the one for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In order to try a couple of more Q joints, I went SW to Buffalo, Texas to pick up a GB purchase. My son, Adam, agreed to keep the old man company and help with the Q evaluatoins. Tough job but he was up to the challenge.

First stop about 11 AM was....(previously but not completely reviewed)

quote:
#81) Stanley's, 525 S. Beckham Ave. (155S), Tyler, Tx. Texas Monthly rating 4.5/5. My rating, based on brisket alone, B+++

Stanley's reputation is based on their ribs. However, the brisket was as fine a breakfast as one could wish for.

The young man at the cash register was really friendly, a pleasure to talk with. He told me the sad news about no ribs, but threw in a few extra ounces of brisket to make up for my grief.
I was really impressed by the sign on the cash register saying, more or less, "Order brisket your way, fat, no fat, lots of bark, trimmed, etc." Not a direct quote, but you get the idea. That sign comes from people who understand Q and brisket.

I ordered fatty brisket, with all the bark they could deliver. It was truly excellent.

Sauce was a homemade, tomato based, slight vinegar tones, somewhat thin, very good.

I hope to go back and try their famous ribs before long so I can give a complete review. However, if they didn't have ribs, the brisket (cut thick, fat side, with bark) is worth the 2 hour drive. Highly recommended.

Surprisingly there was a small line, about 10 people in front of us. We visited with a pair of nice looking ladies from California who were going to the Longview area for business, but stopped in Tyler specifically for Stanley's. I recommended the charred and fatty briseket to her, told her I hadn't tried the ribs and she later described the brisket as "Heavenly".

We ordered 2 pounds charred and fatty brisket, plus a couple of pounds of ribs, and a pint of red potato potato salad.

The pot. salad was fair, not great, but at least a homemade product.

The brisket, as on previous visits was really excellent, perhaps a shade less wonderful than the last visit but still very fine eating.

Unfortunately, both Adam and I didn't particularly like their "famous" pork ribs. They were slightly sweet, with too much tomato sauce on them. Cooked well, not bad, but not great by any means. Some people obviously like sweet tasting ribs more than I and Adam did, but I'll stick with the brisket when I return.

2 kinds of sauce, both tomato based, the one slightly sweet with a touch of spice, very commercial style (I don't know what happened to the vinegar tones of the previous visit, but there were none in the ones on the table), the other hotter, with a fair flavor of cumin. I didn't really like either one, but preferred the hotter of the two.

Based on the disappointing ribs, I am lowering my overall grade to B+. Still mighty fine brisket that I would stop by and eat anytime.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
We went and picked up gun and came back through Palestine to try an old joint but new to me...

#89) Shep's Barbecue, 1013 E. Palestine Ave. (Hwy 79), Palestine, Tx.

Very old fashioned looking joint, set back from street, fairly easy to miss unless you're looking. Since it was only about 3 1/2 hours since we had eaten brunch at Stanley's we opted to order only a pound of brisket and a pound of ribs to go. There was a cafeteria style serving line which looked promising, especially the cucumber-tomato salad but we passed.

Got the 2 meats and went to car and headed back N. while noshing on them.

Brisket had a nice flavor, was tender, but was only a solid, possibly slightly below a really quality good eating product. Better than the commercial "roast beef" brisket, but not worthy of real comment.

OTOH, the pork ribs were truly EXCEPTIONAL. Good bite, tender but not too much so, excellent old fashioned smoke and rub flavor. Really fine.

As a matter of fact, the pound we bought consisted of 9 ribs, Adam ate 3 as did I, and we both remarked on how good they were. I have never done this before, but about 5 miles down the road, I wheeled around and went back to Shep's and bought 2 more pounds of ribs to take home to the wife and daughter.

Based on the ribs alone, I'd give them a A--- but with the brisket, my overall grade is B+. Well worth a side trip for the ribs, give the brisket a miss.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Man, you're killin' me. I just gotta get me some BBQ this weekend somewhere.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure where you are in relation to Falwell, Tx but apparently the following joint is popular with N. Mexicans.

The comment about over-rated is by me.

http://www.tmbbq.com/the-bbq-shop-2015/

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
5 hour drive. If there was something else I really needed in Clovis, I'd give it a whirl. There's a new place here town that gets decent reviews from locals, but I have my doubts that it'll compete with the good stuff in TX. However, they do smoke with pecan and mesquite, so there's a chance...

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was driving thru Memphis. Stopped at Central BBQ.

Ordered rib plus 2 meat platter - brisket and pulled pork. Collard greens, Mac and cheese and onion rings. Friend with me does not eat meat - I like taking vegetarians to q joints.

Ribs - 1/2 wet and dry - excellent

Pulled pork - excellent

Brisket - good

Hot BBQ sauce - excellent

sides - good

sweet tea okay/bad

Overall I need to spend a weekend in Memphis trying out Q.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote