New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emirates Wild Pet Ban Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
https://www.yahoo.com/news/emi...ports-112440193.html

Dubai (AFP) - The private ownership of wild animals has been outlawed in the United Arab Emirates, where keeping exotic creatures as pets is a status symbol for some, reports said Wednesday.

Wild cats including endangered cheetahs are known to have been domesticated in the UAE and neighbouring Gulf countries, with some even spotted being taken outside in the middle of big cities.

In October, one such outing with five tigers on a beach near Dubai's iconic Burj Al-Arab hotel was captured on video and went viral on social media, while others have been filmed driving around with lions.

The new law bans dealing in and ownership of "all types of wild and domesticated but dangerous animals," Gulf News daily said.

Such animals can only be kept at zoos, wildlife parks, circuses, breading and research centres, the newspaper said.

"Anyone who takes a leopard, cheetah or any other kind of exotic animal out in public will face a jail term of up to six months and a fine" of up to 500,000 dirhams ($136,000), it added.

Al-Ittihad, an Arabic daily, said those who use wild animals to "terrorise" others would face jail or fine of up to 700,000 dirhams.

The legislation also imposes new restrictions on traditional pets.

Dog owners are required to get permits and keep the animals on leashes in public, the reports said, adding that those who fail to obtain the licences face fines of up to 100,000 dirhams.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will be interesting to hear Saeed's comments.

Personally, in the U.S. I'm amazed how much pet ownership seems to have expanded, and how much money is spent on a pet in terms of medical care, etc. We had a mind-boggling number and variety of pets growing up, but I always assumed ownership would diminish as the U.S. population became more urban. My wife and I have zero interest in having a pet, and watch our friends modify / restrict their lives to accommodate a dog or a cat. Plus, they all seem to go nose-blind to the smell of their house, clothes and car.

Having said that, if I was living out in the sticks, I would have a medium-sized dog, no doubt. Growing up we had a mixed Dalmatian for 14 years. He wasn't a pet though. We, and he, thought of him as a fourth brother in the family. My mother never bought into that theory.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed- Does Walter know about this?

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Will be interesting to hear Saeed's comments.

Personally, in the U.S. I'm amazed how much pet ownership seems to have expanded, and how much money is spent on a pet in terms of medical care, etc. We had a mind-boggling number and variety of pets growing up, but I always assumed ownership would diminish as the U.S. population became more urban. My wife and I have zero interest in having a pet, and watch our friends modify / restrict their lives to accommodate a dog or a cat. Plus, they all seem to go nose-blind to the smell of their house, clothes and car.

Having said that, if I was living out in the sticks, I would have a medium-sized dog, no doubt. Growing up we had a mixed Dalmatian for 14 years. He wasn't a pet though. We, and he, thought of him as a fourth brother in the family. My mother never bought into that theory.

I agree and disagree.

My German shepherd has had a ton of medical issues for being a pure bred pink papered import from Europe. I drive him 1-2 times month 100 miles to uf small animal hospital for physical therapy. He is stronger than an ox but he has arthritis and allergy issues.

He sheds like a f@cking machine.

He has his own car - a 2010 Honda Accord. He will destroy any car with his shedding.

He has caused $10-$20k in hardwood floor damage - not intentionally he is just big. He has damaged the paint on the ground floor of my house - again just big. Damaged from blinds - intentional $1k in damages.

But all in all he is super cool and worth it. He protects the house, is fun to have around and he is a gentle sweet dog.

I can easily justify a dog for all its troubles when people (me included) pay $5-$6k in trophy fees on top of a $15k safari to go to Africa and kill a buffalo for someone else's protein needs.

I would trade spending time and money on my dog over hunting in a heart beat.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dogs are a pain in the ass, destroy my house and furniture, and generally raise hell. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Actually I would trade Kaija for most anything of value, though I would probably be sleeping outside.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think dogs are an incredibly expensive lifestyle choice.

the amount of time and money people send on their dogs is scary - I also think a lot of the medical stuff for dogs is super expensive and people are emotionally attached.

I am glad I never had a dog in NYC (paying $50 a day for a dog walker) or as a poor grad student.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a colleague, and his wife, that loved German shepherds, and normally kept at least two anywhere in the world he was assigned. I replaced him one time when he was transferred. I assumed I would take over his vehicle. The head Admin. guy told me to not get near it. The interior of the car was virtually destroyed and smelled like a poorly kept kennel.

My wife thinks the German shepherd is the most beautiful dog in the world.

Another colleague and his Thai wife "totaled" a company car by fishing / crabbing, etc. and leaving all their gear in the back of the car. The guy that told me the story says when the guy left, due to the smell, the company couldn't get near enough to the car to set it on fire.

Not sure what the moral of this story is. Avoid large dogs, fish & crabs, and Thai wives maybe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, if we can do away with Rhino horn dagger hilts, we'll be getting somewhere. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I had a colleague, and his wife, that loved German shepherds, and normally kept at least two anywhere in the world he was assigned. I replaced him one time when he was transferred. I assumed I would take over his vehicle. The head Admin. guy told me to not get near it. The interior of the car was virtually destroyed and smelled like a poorly kept kennel.

My wife thinks the German shepherd is the most beautiful dog in the world.

Another colleague and his Thai wife "totaled" a company car by fishing / crabbing, etc. and leaving all their gear in the back of the car. The guy that told me the story says when the guy left, due to the smell, the company couldn't get near enough to the car to set it on fire.

Not sure what the moral of this story is. Avoid large dogs, fish & crabs, and Thai wives maybe.

My German shepherd destroys the car. I really have a separate car for him - I am not joking. This is not a dog that is mean or vicious.

He is gentle. But It is that he is a 100 pounds of pure shedding machine.

He is gentle on furniture - does not climb on anything. It he is very harsh on the walls of the house. Just 100 pounds on dog rubbing against the wall.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good candidate for Korean shepherds pie!

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
A good candidate for Korean shepherds pie!

I will gut shoot anyone who harms my dog Wink

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silence. I lived in Dubai for a year and a half and learned it used a cesspool of slave labor to maintain its image. A deplorable place in every regard. My time in Qatar was no different. Phukk them.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at it from the "slave's" point of view. Whether Indian, Bangladeshi, etc. Those people have made a choice. The life they lead in the Middle East is "better" in their mind than the life they can achieve in their home country. For many it's the best way to support an extended family back home. Being mistreated by their employer is deplorable. It is a risk taken.

Many of these people work in the shipyards of Singapore also. They work a number of years before getting time off to return home to see their families. Many become highly skilled. While in Australia we desperately needed a welder with very unique certification. We couldn't find one available in Australia. We contacted Keppel Fels in Singapore and found the guy. I then had to turn to an Australian politician who would expedite a visa for him. Julie Bishop made sh!t happen fast, and we were back online in about three days. In relative terms some of these "slaves" get compensated very well.

I used to reward good Indian workers by transferring them from rigs in India to rigs in the Middle East. It was more or less a 100% raise. Talk about motivated, those guys were. It was a win-win for us and them.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Julie Bishop is awesome!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote