Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacation- where to go?? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Kind of an odd question but I’m looking at taking my wife on a vacation. Looking at the east coast/Midwest . Our only travel east was to Boston, which we really enjoyed.

Looking at going in August. We are considering Pennsylvania, Tennessee, maybe somewhere else?

Would like to visit historical places (not a requirement) possibly drive and see some more remote places.

I realize there are probably places still shutdown. Therefore, I’d assume many places might be closed.

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of history in the eastern half, Fallingwater is a nice side trip in a rural setting.
Gettysburg will take up a whole day if you let it.
Central Park is worth a day our two by itself.
I-80 is an obvious choice of routes, I-70 is also nice.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom. I’m really liking the idea of Gettysburg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plug for Florida.

It’s has everything - including the Florida man.

Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The United States Capital and all of the memorials, buildings and museums; the U.S. Naval Academy: Fort McHenry; Civil War Battlefields; Arlington; etc., etc., etc.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Heading to Sweden next month.

Switzerland in August if I get the chance.

Tanzania in September.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66985 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
The United States Capital and all of the memorials, buildings and museums; the U.S. Naval Academy: Fort McHenry; Civil War Battlefields; Arlington; etc., etc., etc.

Other than it may be hot and humid, depending when you go, there’s endless things to see in Wash DC.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Heading to Sweden next month.

Switzerland in August if I get the chance.

Tanzania in September.

Saeed:

I will trade you travel itinerary rotflmo

Europe is on the bucket list for next year. My family came from Sweden and Denmark. Definitely want to visit those places.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I will likely visit the capitol and Gettysburg.

Mike:

Florida does sound good. I would like to book a hunt there eventually.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My family came from Sweden and Denmark. Definitely want to visit those places.

Jason: Are you sure?! rotflmo Have you taken the Ancestry DNA test to find out?! clap I couldn't resist! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay in Virginia, lots to see there. Amtrak will get you to NY.C., Philly, or D.C. for day trips and you don't have to worry about what to do with the car. There is so much to see in D.C. we ended up spending 2 days there and still didn't get enough. Wandering the Civil War battle fields was a real eye opener.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jason: Are you sure?! rotflmo Have you taken the Ancestry DNA test to find out?! clap I couldn't resist! jumping

UEG:

Ha ha.... you never know! I actually did the DNA test and about 96% showed Scandinavia. What was odd is that 1-3% said Middle East/Asia I believe. Who knows, I guess we are all related!

Speaking of the DNA test, about a year ago my wife gave the test to her mother as a gift. She ended up finding a Niece that she knew nothing about. Her late brother died in 1974 and had an unknown relationship (I guess that's the correct way to put it) and
the niece found my MIL through Ancestry. They actually met up, along with a few of my wife's Aunt's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
Stay in Virginia, lots to see there. Amtrak will get you to NY.C., Philly, or D.C. for day trips and you don't have to worry about what to do with the car. There is so much to see in D.C. we ended up spending 2 days there and still didn't get enough. Wandering the Civil War battle fields was a real eye opener.
C.G.B.

I am glad you said this. I was wondering if that would be a good option for travel. I'd rather do that and I am sure the locals would appreciate keeping a foreigner from Utah off of the roads!

What town/city in Virginia would be the best place to stay?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
C.G.B.

I am glad you said this. I was wondering if that would be a good option for travel. I'd rather do that and I am sure the locals would appreciate keeping a foreigner from Utah off of the roads!

What town/city in Virginia would be the best place to stay?

Thanks

Washington has good subways, and the train goes into DCA. There are also rental cars at DCA, just across the parking garage.

When I fly there I take the Metro train from the Reagan Airport (DCA) to the Shady Grove Metro station, and someone will pick me up.
There are buses from Shady Grove to elsewhere, I am not familiar with the schedules.

Used to be no trains from Dulles, it's out in the boonies. That may have changed, but I'm not sure about that.
The Smithsonian Air Museum is close to Dulles though, a nice little side trip.

If you tire of the city, the Blue Ridge Parkway makes a good couple-day trip. The Pisgah Inn is a nice place for lunch (or whatever).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Not to discourage any tourism, but you probably can not pick a month that is hotter and more humid than August.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate that and all of the other suggestions. I agree, it will be very hot, likely and
I believe we are going to wait and do something next year. I think that we will take a few trips here locally, this summer instead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
UEG:

Ha ha.... you never know! I actually did the DNA test and about 96% showed Scandinavia. What was odd is that 1-3% said Middle East/Asia I believe. Who knows, I guess we are all related!

Speaking of the DNA test, about a year ago my wife gave the test to her mother as a gift. She ended up finding a Niece that she knew nothing about. Her late brother died in 1974 and had an unknown relationship (I guess that's the correct way to put it) and
the niece found my MIL through Ancestry. They actually met up, along with a few of my wife's Aunt's.

I had a friend that had been adopted and had even hired professionals to try and locate his biological parents. One day in a church high council meeting I suggested that he try the Ancestry DNA test. About two months later he came to me with tears in his eyes and said that he had received a call from a woman who had identified to him that she was his biological mother, as she had been notified that someone had tested as her child. After some discrete questioning by my friend (his is a police detective) with this woman about things that only she and he would know, he realized that it indeed was his biological mom. They have since met many times, and he has met other biological relatives that he has. He told me that he now has two families and he is loving the connections. His biological mother currently lives in Ogden. He also discovered from her that his biological dad is deceased, but he did get to know his name and history. And, yes, it is way to hot and humid for anywhere on the East Coast-October would actually be ideal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend an April trip. Gettysburg then Washington. Cherry blossoms that time of year. Kids still in school. Travel south to Williamsburg, Va. Then NC Outer Banks (Kill Devil Hill/Wright Bros, Lost Colony). Continue south to historic Charleston, SC and maybe Savannah, GA. Back north to Asheville, NC(Biltmore Estate). West to Nashville and Memphis, TN. Then home.

quote:
Kind of an odd question but I’m looking at taking my wife on a vacation. Looking at the east coast/Midwest . Our only travel east was to Boston, which we really enjoyed.

Looking at going in August. We are considering Pennsylvania, Tennessee, maybe somewhere else?

Would like to visit historical places (not a requirement) possibly drive and see some more remote places.

I realize there are probably places still shutdown. Therefore, I’d assume many places might be closed.

Posts: 3682 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I appreciate that and all of the other suggestions. I agree, it will be very hot, likely and
I believe we are going to wait and do something next year. I think that we will take a few trips here locally, this summer instead.

A little east of Cove Fort is a nice campground across the interstate from Fremont State Park, which I found well worth a visit.
On the north side of the interstate there is a frontage road that goes into Clear Creek Canyon.
The gap where the road goes north into the canyon is just wide enough for the creek and road, and the walls are just about straight up.
One of my favorite missed-entrance-ramp booboos.

TomP

one of us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend places away from people.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Fly to Boston, do the local Revolutionary War stuff.

Rent a car and drive to Maine, visit Bar Harbor (national park), Freeport (shopping LL Bean and a ton of other things not outdoor related). When I lived in Freeport they had a bunch of women's dress and shoe companies (not sure what ones, as I didn't have a woman then). Gunshops!

August can be hot in Maine (humid).

If you are at LL Bean during the middle of the week you can take their 2-3 hour adventures for about $15 per person. Kayak tours, 5 stand sporting clays, fly fishing tutorial and so on. Weekends are busy.

Make sure your hotel has air con, not everyone does.

Stop at Kittery trading post and eat from the lobster shack across from the parking lot. Really great lobster roll (look up what that is before you buy one, just in case).

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Rent a car and drive to Maine, visit Bar Harbor (national park), Freeport (shopping LL Bean and a ton of other things not outdoor related). When I lived in Freeport they had a bunch of women's dress and shoe companies (not sure what ones, as I didn't have a woman then). Gunshops!

If you are at LL Bean during the middle of the week you can take their 2-3 hour adventures for about $15 per person. Kayak tours, 5 stand sporting clays, fly fishing tutorial and so on. Weekends are busy.

Stop at Kittery trading post and eat from the lobster shack across from the parking lot. Really great lobster roll (look up what that is before you buy one, just in case).

LL Bean has/had a seconds-and-samples store down the hill, I got a nice and much-longer-than-necessary sleeping bag there that I still use 30-odd years later.

On the way to Bar Harbor is the Hulls Cove Tool Barn, lots of odd tools and machining items for sale.
If you hit at the right time of year, there is an apple tree just off the parking lot for a quick snack.

There is a logger's museum in Patten ME, turns out the the tracked vehicle was invented in Maine for logging.

On the way up there is the Springfield Armory Museum

https://www.nps.gov/spar/learn...ure/early-museum.htm

Gettysburg has a Corvair junkyard that I only discovered this morning...

https://autos.yahoo.com/chevy-...tting-170000819.html

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Visiting the museums in DC is truly life inspiring. The Art museum with all those paintings by the masters is breath taking. We made our last visit there 3 years ago and didnt have near enough time so we might go back this fall.
If you drive, take the smallest vehicle you own. It will come in very handy when trying to find a parking spot.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some very valuable suggestions for other areas of the East Coast to see and to tour! Thanks everyone! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Did the Boston tour a few years back, absolutely amazing. Maine sounds interesting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I highly recommend places away from people.

These types of vacations are usually what I prefer and it’s getting more difficult to do.

However, I’m certainly all in on U.S history

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some very valuable suggestions for other areas of the East Coast to see and to tour! Thanks everyone! tu2

Isn’t that that the truth. I’m very grateful for the suggestions.

We won’t go this year but do have plans for local areas. I think we will head to Fontenelle and fish the Green River.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Isn’t that that the truth. I’m very grateful for the suggestions.

We won’t go this year but do have plans for local areas. I think we will head to Fontenelle and fish the Green River.

Can a few brown trout. I'll trade you Santequin peaches and bring empty canning jars to replace the ones occupied by trout when I get there in September..

TomP

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

UEG:

You are so lucky to get that 3% from us.

96% Scandinavian Blonde without that 3%, imagine where you would be on the intelligence scale!

Might look prettier though! rotflmo clap

Posts: 66985 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:
quote:

UEG:

You are so lucky to get that 3% from us.

96% Scandinavian Blonde without that 3%, imagine where you would be on the intelligence scale!

Might look prettier though! rotflmo clap

Ha ha, you’re probably right. It’s good I guess to have a little variety!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been reading a bunch of books about
forming the USA. There's got to be a whole
lot of places to see in PA. I've never been
there except to fly into Philly on the way to
Dix then Germany.

Apparently they have a lot of scenic country and one area full of huge elk they don't hunt. Might be of interest on your way. Many times we drive right past the best parts to see someplace in the distance and find out about it when it's too late.

Hope you folks enjoy whatever you do.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the DNA thing, 5% Anastazi Jewish, 5 % central Asian, and 80% British Isle and 5% Scandinavian and 5% Germanic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, I arrived in my second home, Sweden, a couple days ago.

Was the first of the plane, first at immigration, two minutes later I was at the luggage belt.

Met a lady I did not recognize, but she recognized me!

I have not seen her for years.

Worked in Dubai with her husband, and she arrived on the same flight.

We had a big hug and talked about our families while waiting for our bags.

Got them, and walked straight out.

No one was at customs, green line was free to walk in.

Sweden, like all countries which are in the 21st century, does not require you to fill in arrival forms.

Only those run by idiots, and still living in the 1950’s do!

A neighbor picked me from the airport, drove 300 kilometers to our home.

Daylight 24 hours here.

Had dinner and watch the Italians slaughter England in the European Soccer Final.

Well deserved win, and we were saved from endless bragging by the English clap

They have not won a major trophy in 56 years.

And by the looks of it it might be longer again before they do.

Politics before sportsmanship.

Woke very early as I usually do.

Had a coffee and read THE SINKING IF THE BISMARCK while waiting for the rest of the family to wake up.

Very interesting book.

Every seems to depend on luck!

Had breakfast, took my drone and camera.

Walked to the end of the peninsula, few to a friends island.

He is isolating because he has COVID-19.

We waved at each other from the air.

Walked all over the place, covering 26 kilometers that day.

This morning it is very foggy, and I am continuing to read the book sitting here waiting for the fog to clear before I go for another walk.

Our area is very small, and everyone knows each other.

Lots of people walking and chatting on the way.

A friend does trash collecting off the islands out in the sea, and he picks me to go with him.

Might do this this week.

Coming all the way from Dubai to collect trash from islands in Northern Sweden.

Perfect holiday! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great vacation!