New
Find
Notify
Tools

When New York censored Walt Disney Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I grew up profoundly loving the Disney True-Life Adventure films of the 1950s. I was very surprised to find that Disney's 1954 film, "The Vanishing Prairie" was banned by the state of New York because it showed the live birth of a buffalo calf. Really unbelievable.
Here was Walt's comment:

At the time, Walt said:
“Birth scene would never have appeared on the screen if I believed it might offend an audience. It would be a shame if New York children had to believe the stork brings buffaloes too.”
The state censorship board eventually reversed its decision after the ACLU, on Walt’s behalf, lodged a complaint.

For more on these wonderful films, go here:
https://www.waltdisney.org/blo...true-life-adventures

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the problem wasn't the birth of the buffalo.
the problem was it didn't get up and talk to the audience, plus the narrator mentioned it was most vulnerable to wolves at that time.

double no-no's in the city.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall reading many years ago about Sweden (if you can believe it) banned Donald Duck. Seems they were offended that he + Daisy weren't married, had 3 "nephews", + never wore pants. Their comment was "Many nude ducks". times do change, don't they?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote