Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any cures for seasickness? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
This is unrelated to African hunting for sure, however you people are such an incredible pool of experiences and source of information I decided to risk asking the question. My wife gets horribly seasick and we have booked a month vacation on one of the islands in the Bahamas. She would very much enjoy a boat ride or two but her penchant for being seasick prevents it.

She has tried Gravol and some 'wriststrap' affair but both proved ineffective. Any suggestions?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Ask your doctor to prescribe Scopolamine. It is a patch worn behind the ear that wards off seasickness. It works very well for both my wife and me, but we wear only 1/2 patch to avoid some of the side effects.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Scopalomine works well but you want to try it RIGHT NOW to see what side effects might occur. They are rare but unpleasant and better to find out early than on the trip.

Gravol, Driminate, Gravamin, Vomex and Vertirosan are all forms of Dramamine. They all have a mild stimulant to counteract the drowsiness caused by diphenhydramine, the active agent. Diphenhydramine is also the active ingredient in most OTC sleep aids. Most people need to wear the OTC Dramamine patches or take the pills for not less than four or five days before a motion event for full effectiveness. That also lets your body acclimate to the drug and the drowsiness becomes much less pronounced.

Hope that helps.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get some candied ginger; it works immediately for my wife and mother, and is not going to have any side effects.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just what SBT says.
Scopolamine is the single remedy that seems to work best for all.
As a professional mariner for many years as well as an avid sailor, I have seen (and tried myself under very rough weather conditions) many different solutions.

The Scopolamine stands out as the winner, but the Brits also have a pill called Stugeron that seems to work well.

Stay away from fruit, sweet food, tobacco and alcohol before taking the boat rides.
Stay on deck preferably at the middle of the boat (midships), enjoy the sun and the fresh air Smiler

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

Sadie used to get violently sick on the water and in small airplanes that she used to have to fly in for work quite often. In fact we had to take her to the ER one time for dehydration. She tried Dramimine and no effect. Scopolamine was the trick and eventually she got to the point where she could fly without it and actually enjoyed the flights.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Land.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Get some candied ginger; it works immediately for my wife and mother, and is not going to have any side effects.

George

I eat some pickled ginger. It works well for me.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
the Dramamine patch behind the ear worked for my wife.It was also the drug our vet recommended for our dog who would get violently sick in just a few minutes.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scopolamine patch and stay VERY well-hydrated, my buds also swear by the ginger pills.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scopolamine patch and stay VERY well-hydrated, my buds also swear by the ginger pills.

My wife would get sick when they started the engine. The patch works for her. If I start feeling uncomforatable I take ginger. Usually takes care of it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i found some "queasy-aids" from walgreens.. small wrist band with a plastic tab on them , worn on each wrist, seems that there is a pressure point on the underside of your wrist, 3 fingers in distance that contols nausea....they give confidence anyway.... when i was working on my private license, i got airsick, and my instructor gave them to try... they seem to work as good as anything else and do not classify as "medication' when working towards a pilots' license....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Strange twist on motion sickness, my wife feels nauseous when she gets off the boat.

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sour pickles help settle the stomach.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where could you find something like candied ginger. I couldn't get out of taking my wife on a cruise and i get sea sick if it gets rough.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I own an offshore fishing boat and will get seasick if it is rough enough. If expecting bad seas I will take a Dramamine the night before and one when I wake up. It has always done the trick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Strange twist on motion sickness, my wife feels nauseous when she gets off the boat.

Sorry for all of your afflictions, gents, but I can't avoid this one: I get nauseous when I see Sprinkles walk off Air Force One...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote