New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drug Free Zone? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
A convicted felon is back behind bars today after he allegedly pitched a half-pound brick of cocaine from his car and crashed into another vehicle as he ran from police in south Nashville.

Darryl Alderson, a 20-year-old who received a three-year probated sentence in March, allegedly took off when police attempted to make a traffic stop Monday night on Una Antioch Pike. Alderson’s Chevrolet Impala was traveling 46 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Police say Alderson accelerated toward Murfreesboro Pike and tossed a white bag from the driver’s window. He then struck another motorist’s vehicle (The second driver was not hurt.) at the intersection of Una Antioch Pike and Murfreesboro Pike. He stopped at Nashboro Boulevard and Flintlock Court where he was taken into custody.

Officers recovered the white bag, which allegedly contained the cocaine brick.

Alderson, of Vailview Drive, is charged with felony drug possession in a drug free zone (The cocaine was tossed within 1,000 feet of Mt. Zion Baptist Church.), tampering with evidence, evading arrest, leaving the scene of an accident and driving on a revoked license.

His bond on those charges is set at $80,000, and a probation violation charge is expected to be filed

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
In the article it says he was charged with felony drug possession in a drug free zone?
Maybe im stupid but what is a drug free zone? I thought everywhere in the U.S. was suppost to be a drug free zone?

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Certain areas around sensitive sites--churches and schools, especially--can be officially designated "drug-free zones" and the penalty for possession or distribution in those areas is more severe than in other places.

It's kind of like the fines being higher for speeding in a school zone than on a regular street.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
Certain areas around sensitive sites--churches and schools, especially--can be officially designated "drug-free zones" and the penalty for possession or distribution in those areas is more severe than in other places.

It's kind of like the fines being higher for speeding in a school zone than on a regular street.

Now I got it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand it but it still sounds like "a little bit of rape" to me.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's stupid, it's like hate crimes. They try to make some more politically incorrect by making it more illegal.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Drug free zones are often "gun free zones" too. So if you have a shotgun in your trunk and get pulled over on a route that takes you past a school you can be charged with a violation. It is a grey area and is selectively enforced since where I live the main road goes past the high school and it is also where the speed limit changes, so it is one of the usual local speed traps. I have never heard of it happening down here but when I lived around Chicago I read about it a few times in the papers.

Also, drug sting operations are often carried out in the "drug free" zones as there are (IIRC) mandatory prison sentences involved.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is usually 1000 feet from schools, chuches etc.

Posts: 103 | Location: southern wisconsin | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote