THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Recommended Auction Houses- Antique Silver

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended Auction Houses- Antique Silver Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted
This is just a shot in the dark. I have no idea where to start with this. My wife and I have sets of sterling silver flatware as well as a tea set. The flatware is from a well-known maker around the early 1900s in Massachusetts. The tea set is heavy Mexican handmade silver, probably from the 30s or 40s. From a quick look at eBay, it appears the flatware may be worth more than the value of the weight of the metal, but I’m not sure if the tea set is. Does anyone know of an honest auction house for such items?

Thanks, Jeff

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I don't know of one directly but I agree that your silver set is worth more than base metal value. A few years ago I helped a friend here in town who was helping an elderly couple he has known all his life, get rid of a lifetime of items. Long story short he approached some antique dealers that he knew to appraise the silver, china, etc. Some of those plates were $80.00 each + the same with the cups, saucers, serving dishes, etc. The same for the silverware. He told me at the time but I have forgotten now, but around the turn of the century there were stampings put on the plate that verified it's age. I know that my dad after the war was stationed in Austria + when at a restaurant having coffee he picked up the silver cream dispenser + noticed it was stamped SS on the bottom. He stole it. I guess in answer to your question is to find someone you can trust to give you a realistic appraisal. Jeweler friend perhaps? Gary was fortunate to know those ladies to appraise his but I understand your quandry.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will probably have better luck with someone who simply buys silver. Unless you have a lot, you won't get much interest from an auction house.

My wife had a lot of silver from her grandparents. The silver plated, no one wanted. The sterling silver basically went for whatever the price of silver was that day. The workmanship involved seemed unimportant to them.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can understand that. Many years ago I worked at a pawn shop + gold rings went for the current day spot, regardless of design + any inset jewels went for nothing under a carat.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Try this website: www.replacements.com

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the guidance everyone. I'll check out the web site.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Christies, Barnaby's, and Sotheby's come to mind.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Having bought and sold several dozen sets over 30 years while in the rare coin/precious metals business, the risk is high at auction. There are way more sellers than buyers these days. Unless they have some inscriptions on them of someone famous, scrap them. Do not send them in the mail to any of the TV buyers or anyone who tells you to send them so they can call with an offer!

DO: Call several local gold & silver buyers for a price price quote per TROY OUNCE. Google the highest buyer for honesty via the reviews. If you get stumped, PM me. All pieces must be marked sterling or .925 or .935 NO IS or german silver.
Good luck.
CB
Semi-retired. Copenhaver Coin Exchange

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Custombolt, I’ll start searching. May take you up on a PM. Sounds like there are lots of traps and scammers. No surprise I guess.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well, good luck Jeff.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, you are so right. Every time you turn around there is some new scam. There have always been thieves but any more underhanded theft appears more prevalent. Mores the pity for everyone.