Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Animals Killed by Lightening Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I was down at my hunting lease this past week. I found two full grown mature cows laying dead within 5 feet of each other. They appeared to following each other and both were facing the same direction. They both appeared to have been dead for about a week or more. At first I thought they might have died from poison water as there is a dipping vat/pens within appox. 200 yards. I told the tick rider about the situation and suggested that he check. He did so but said that the dipping vat hadn't been used since the late '80s and the pens were closed off. (I didn't think to check myself at the time) He commented that the 2 cows showed no sign of struggle or "aggonizing". He said the only thing he could figure was they were hit by lighting.

What I thought strange was that nothing had eaten on the 2 cows. No coyotes, buzzards, etc. There were buzzards and Mexican eagles (Cara Caras) hanging around when I drove up but no signs of anything touching them except for flies/maggots. The stinch was terrible. That was how I actually found the cattle along with the vultures sitting around.

I told another guy about this and he said they had cattle hit by lightening before and nothing would touch the carcases either.

Anybody have any idea why that is?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Aliens

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Maybe they don't like their meat fried?

Shocking story though! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Maybe they don't like their meat fried?

Shocking story though! rotflmo

Yeah, but the maggots do! rotflmo

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not common, but cattle get killed by lightning in our area with some degree of frequency.My neighbor tells of lightning hitting a tree with a bunch of cattle under it and killing 6 cow and 6 calves when his father was running the dairy. According to him, all the calves belonged to different (live) cattle and he had six orphans on his hands. I've had a couple killed by lightning in the last 15 years.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote