Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is It A Scam Or A Sales Tool? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Twice I've received a phone call from my own cell phone. My first assumption was that it was a scam; someone had hacked into my phone. Then I started noticing that it might be coming from the medical supply company providing my CPAP supplies.

I stopped ordering the supplies because I had built-up a backlog of supplies. The company then started calling my cellphone about three times a day from various parts of the U.S. I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number and they leave a voice mail saying my supplies are ready to ship. I don't respond.

Then they sent me a letter asking that I confirm they have a good cellphone number for me. I didn't bite for that either.

Now someone calls me from my own phone number hoping I'll pick-up to confirm it's a working phone. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Posts: 13777 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is apparently not difficult to spoof using your own phone number. The medical supply people are very persistent, so probably just an attempt to keep you buying.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
If I don't recognize a number, I let it go to voicemail. If no voicemail is left I block the number, as it means to me that they really don't know me. It has drastically cut down on unwanted and spoof calls, along with the spam alerts that AT&T gives me. As to Unknown Callers, I have a listing in my i-phone identified as "Unknown Caller" and have it automatically blocked. That has taken care of that issue as well. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I average at least 12 telemarketer/ robocalls, etc. a day. The problem I have with blocking is this is a business line + I never know if the caller is a crank or a potential customer.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I NEVER answer my phone unless I know who is calling. If they leave a voice mail and I want to talk to them, I’ll call back immediately. If no VM, I assume the worst.
I’ve passed on a couple calls already this morning.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
If I don't recognize a number, I let it go to voicemail. If no voicemail is left I block the number, as it means to me that they really don't know me. It has drastically cut down on unwanted and spoof calls, along with the spam alerts that AT&T gives me. As to Unknown Callers, I have a listing in my i-phone identified as "Unknown Caller" and have it automatically blocked. That has taken care of that issue as well. Big Grin

This is exactly what I do.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
On my home phone I will get a call with a local area code but the caller ID says "out of region"

Both can not be correct. I believe Verizon.

Posts: 6395 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Kensco, I have the same problem with my CPAP supplier. Drives me nuts!

They obviously have a computer program that tells them the nano-second they can bill Medicare for my "authorized" supplies. Like you, I've accumulated a significant backlog of supplies.

It's also annoying that when I DO answer one of their calls, the person calling can barely speak English.

I have "CPAP" in my caller ID but calls also come from all sorts of other numbers and from a myriad of states.

Finally, last month I initiated the call, ordered one or two minor items, and then requested I be put on a "no call" list, which apparently is a thing. From now on (supposedly) I'll be the one to initiate an order for more supplies.

We'll see . . .

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Another of my pet peeves is the telemarketer faxes. They would go off at 3:00 in the AM + then use up my ribbon trying to sell me stock options. I went all the way to the A.G.'s office with that one as I was so pissed. They told me there was nothing they could do as the calls were coming out of Canada. The secretary did tell me, "Now I nver said this but since you have their fax # you could always just send them back several sheets of black paper. That put an end to it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote