Find
Notify
Tools

Things are different here in Texas Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
And I like that!
Stopped at the Nolan County Courthouse Friday to vote a few days early just because, and what do I behold in the hallway outside the County Clerk's office? An outstanding Winchester collection! Sure was unexpected and a very pleasant surprise. Sharp eyes will notice the very fine Lee Navy sporter at the far right, just beyond the Model 1907 Self Loading rifles.
I will confess right off that that little 6mm would be my choice if forced to choose just one, as this obsolete straight-pull chambered for a cartridge way ahead of its time has long fascinated me.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice waiting room!

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ur in Texas now! surprised they didn't let ya fire off a coupla rds of your favorite one in the display case.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, there must be more than 50 rifles and shotguns in the display cases lining the hall. And there is even a Spandau machine gun from a German WWI biplane. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ann, there must be more than 50 rifles and shotguns in the display cases lining the hall. And there is even a Spandau machine gun from a German WWI biplane. Cool

Sounds very cool. I would enjoy seeing that display.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that Spandau I would LOVE to see!! In liberal Travis County, you will not find a display like that. In Williamson, they used to have a glass case in the courthouse holding many illegal seized weapons, sawed off shotguns, black jacks, a few machine guns, etc. I did know one of the deputies that kept a seized German MP42 Schmeisser in the trunk of his squad car. I would have loved to own that one.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

In that case why did you stop with just one picture?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My introduction to Texas was getting my hand slapped. After 23 years in New Mexico, where public land abounds, I moved to Texas. Driving down a desolate looking highway I saw a coyote loping along about 150 yards out. I pulled over, took my rifle out, and fired a shot. I had a pickup truck pull up behind me and a mad rancher came out of his truck yelling at me. He explained, with a lot of profanity, that I was in Texas and you can't do shit like that. He was right, I was wrong. WELCOME TO TEXAS.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any rancher i ever knew woulda thanked you!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
My introduction to Texas was getting my hand slapped. After 23 years in New Mexico, where public land abounds, I moved to Texas. Driving down a desolate looking highway I saw a coyote loping along about 150 yards out. I pulled over, took my rifle out, and fired a shot. I had a pickup truck pull up behind me and a mad rancher came out of his truck yelling at me. He explained, with a lot of profanity, that I was in Texas and you can't do shit like that. He was right, I was wrong. WELCOME TO TEXAS.

I prefer BLM for the most part. Not everything needs to be privately owned, one of my deviations from mainstream Libertarian thought...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, you are right. Damn near all the ranchers consider them vermin. Just like rattlers, you won't make a sizeable dent in their population, no matter how many you kill.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed many years of hunting mule deer on BLM land in New Mexico. Ranchers used to try to run a bluff on you, pretending it was "their ranch", rather than the fact that they just had grazing rights. Once they knew you knew, they would leave you alone.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote