New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best beef you've eaten? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That pitchfork fondue sounds very, very interesting Rich. Was it in the soup long enough for some Maillard reaction on the surface?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Probably doesn't count as "beef", but the best fillets I've had in many years are bison fillets from the Jackson Hole Buffalo Meat Co.

website

We order a couple times a year. Fantastic. It's like sex with a fork (don't need a knife). Sear it fast on both sides and then grill it on moderate heat until medium rare. Zero fat, so be very careful not to over cook it. (Kind of like grilling elk too).

Also had Kobe beef in Japan in early 80's. Don't remember the cost, but it was very good. I wanna say it was ~$50 though, so I think Rich got taken like a round-eyed tourist if he paid $65 ten years prior.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had "Kobe" beef, is that stuff raised by some black basketball player?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some one needs to check-out Nick & Sam's Uptown Steakhouse in Dallas, but don't take the Dallas Cowboys with you.

http://bleacherreport.com/arti..._campaign=editorial#

http://www.nick-sams.com/

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jim,good joke I reality the theme of the Kobe beef is that due to their daily massages,thus giving more tenderness of tissue.Yes,we all want the best steak we can get.Love to try one or more. Turn me on.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Some of the nicest marbled meat you will ever find is from Speckle Park cattle
We raised 4 last year and they are the best tasting and tender meat you could ever find. they are also good tempered and easy to take care of which is a bonus.

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When in Dallas this past DSC, we went to the YO steak house. This ribeye I had was the BEST I have had in quite some time, I was impressed. And for the money, it beat the price and quality of the one I had in LAS at the Westgate Edge steakhouse, And, YO didn't tack on an 18% gratuity.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Kobe or Wagyu generally can't be beat. And good old USDA prime is generally excellent, too.

But the funny thing about beef steak is the "generally" I had to throw into both of those statements.

I've had good and bad (as in flavorless, tough and stringy) cuts of even the so-called best grades of beef. It's even happened to me when I've hand picked the steak myself.

I think it depends a lot on the judging and the aging. Marbling is something you can judge, although without actually handling the steak, it can sometimes be deceiving. Aging is different. You just can't tell aging, unless you run the clock yourself.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Kobe or Wagyu generally can't be beat. And good old USDA prime is generally excellent, too.

But the funny thing about beef steak is the "generally" I had to throw into both of those statements.

I've had good and bad (as in flavorless, tough and stringy) cuts of even the so-called best grades of beef. It's even happened to me when I've hand picked the steak myself.

I think it depends a lot on the judging and the aging. Marbling is something you can judge, although without actually handling the steak, it can sometimes be deceiving. Aging is different. You just can't tell aging, unless you run the clock yourself.

I'll agree Mike. I've had some great Wagyu and some so sinewy that it was trash.
I used to buy my meat at Dallas Dressed Beef in Dallas. They were a wholesaler located in an industrial area of Dallas. I phoned in my order and the thickness and picked it up later. They were wholesale only, but you can always find a way around that. Of course I just used the Angus. Only place I could find Wright Brothers hams that I gave to Employees and Customers. Love the Wright Bros hams, but unfortunately they have been bought out.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best beef I've eaten in a long, long time is from an Angus steer raised in the pasture behind my house, no "finishing" just lots of grass and enough cubes to keep him gentle. I had him processed at a place in Kaufman, Tx (about 30 miles from home) where the carcass was aged for 28 days. I had the usual assortment of cuts, with the steaks being cut between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch thick. As good as anything I've ever gotten at any steakhouse and a damned sight less expensive.
Butch: there are still a couple of packing houses in S Dallas in the S Corinth and Morrell Ave area that will sell to the public.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2765 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
The best beef I've eaten in a long, long time is from an Angus steer raised in the pasture behind my house, no "finishing" just lots of grass and enough cubes to keep him gentle. I had him processed at a place in Kaufman, Tx (about 30 miles from home) where the carcass was aged for 28 days. I had the usual assortment of cuts, with the steaks being cut between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch thick. As good as anything I've ever gotten at any steakhouse and a damned sight less expensive.
Butch: there are still a couple of packing houses in S Dallas in the S Corinth and Morrell Ave area that will sell to the public.

Thanks Karl,
Since moving east to Terrell and no kids or grand kids around, except for visits, we don't Dallas much.
Of course with only the wife and I, we only have a large freezer, a double door fridge, both in the garage. We also have the largest Samsung in the kitchen. I regularly take a load out in the woods to feed the fox and coyotes when the meat is ruined. I would love to share an angus if you have another.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote