New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best beef you've eaten? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I am usually very happy with a nice prime Angus filet, pan seared and oven finished. But I have been tempted to go for one of the premium cuts like the American Kobe Beef filet from Snake River Farms. http://www.snakeriverfarms.com...obe-beef/steaks.html
I am sure that some here have eaten the $800 steaks in Japan. Wonder if they were worth it.
What is the best piece of beef you have ever had?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went on R&R in Japan in 1970. A 2lb steak was $65. And, it was damned good, well worth the money. Best ever.

I dunno about $800 though; and I wonder where SRF is getting their kelp.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Tenderloins from Costco

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still trying to figure out how a company in the Northwest (note: their website does not say which state the farm/ranch is in) can raise cows here and call it Kobe Beef.

The thing they told us in Japan that made the beef special was including seaweed/kelp in their diet and having those nice Japanese girls give them daily massages.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a very good ribeye at Del Friscos and also at Binions in Las Vegas recently.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best steak I ever have is in South Africa, their fillets are always great!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We use too have a farm that raised black angus here that was very good beef.

We been buying from a farmer down state the last couple of years very good also.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will laugh, but I am telling the truth!

Last year, we took my son to Puerta Vallarta Mexico for a high school graduation present.

Anyway, I wanted to eat some good seafood. The Manager at the hotel recommended La Langosta (I think that's the name). Anyway, I ordered the Fillet (usually I order ribeye because it is my favorite).

I am telling you that it was the best steak that I have ever eaten! I would love to know how they cooked it and where it came from! Well, maybe not... Roll Eyes

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
We have a steakhouse in Pearland called Killens, the owner is a former White House Chef (not under Obama!) They serve Wagyu beef that is raised just north of Houston. This is apparently the U.S. equivalent to Kobe, similar luxury treatment of the beeves. All I know is that is the best beef I have ever had in my life, just outrageously better than any other that I have ever had. It has been worth every penny everytime I have been there.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Angus marbles well + makes the best steaks in my opinion.There was a Kobe ranch set up here in central Tx. a few years ago but that is more than I want to spend.Well Rich,all things being equal,$65.00 in 1970 is comperable to $800.00 now.I use cars as an example.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, but I was a buck sargent then. I made about $900 a month with the extras, like Combat Pay, Jump Pay, Over seas and Hazardous Duty, and I carried the C4 and caps and det cord and stuff.

Not taxable, and they threw in room and board, and free ammunition.

Summer of 1972 I bought a 1967 XKE coupe, five years old, for $3200 from a nice lady whose husband bought it six weeks earlier. In two weeks he had three speeding tickets, two over a hundred miles an hour. She told me her insurance company told her she had to make a choice:
Sell the car
or
Divorce the hubby.

I asked her why she hadn't filed the papers on him yet, and about that time four small children ran out the front door of their house.

Simple answer.

It was a very good couple of years, being single and all...

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was just a month or so ago. It was a Wagyu bone in rib eye with 81 days of age. Local steakhouse. Literally melted in my mouth. My wife had medallions from the same. That and two or three fingers of Knob Creek made a perfect evening.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I favor the Wagu. At my private knife show I hold in each year at my house I treat them to a Wag steak dinner. That's 50 steak dinner bill that is harder to swallow than the steak.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've heard great things about the Perini Ranch steakhouse in Buffalo Gap. Wonder what beef they serve there.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Argentine beef at the Cafe Buenos Aires in Santa Barbara, California. Sadly, they have closed their doors.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A tossup between a T-bone at the hotel in Ft Peck, and a brisket sandwich from a roadside stand a little west of a bison preserve near Lawton.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter Luger in NYC

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old Homestead or keen's

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
A steak or two from "The Stockyard" in Nashville during the time Mario owned it.
Best Steak and SERVICE I have ever had.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny, the best steak for me is a chunk of deer or moose backstrap wrapped with bacon cooked on the grill.
I have eaten deer and moose for my red meat for so long, any beef tastes fatty and disgusting to me. You have to turn the backstrap often to drip off and not soak into the meat, but it's not dry or greasy!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
the best beef I have eaten @ home was a young Angus bull that my neighbor owned and he could not get him up to band when he was young, castrate, or get him in the lot to sel. Told me if I could get him in a stall he would supply the grain & we would split him if I fed him. I was able to and needless to say we still talk about the meat we split 20 years ago. Home grown from my herd was a Jersey , Charolais cross steer
Best Resturant Berns in Tampa FL.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/berns-...FMrUTXCh2Wc77Kgact2g

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived for five years in Alberta.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked for a large ag corporation that has a number of beef slaughterhouses in the USA. My boss was the executive supervisor of those slaughterhouses.
Couple times a year, he would grab a few cryo packed tenderloins or NY strips. We had to pay for them, but at a real cheap price. I would buy the strips, let them wet age in my fridge for 4-6 weeks.
Then cut them into 12-14 NY strips.
They were to die for.
Unfortunately he and I are both retired and don't have the connection.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I had real Kobe beef in Japan in 2010, also had whale steak.

The Japanese steak houses are good.

$85 for the Kobe.

$35 for the whale.

Liked the whale better but the Kobe was some of the best meat I had ever eaten in my life.

I have never had a Kobe or Wygu steak cooked like we do on the grill or pan fried. I honestly think the majority of what makes steak great in Japan is how they cook them.

Teppanyaki fried, diced thin, seasoned well and with ginger/soy dipping sauce.

I do a Teppanyaki knock off meal at the house about once a month. Even my wife who isn't the biggest fan of steak loves it.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The beef at the Golden Steer right here in Vegas maybe the best I've ever eaten. Given the beef, its old Vegas atmosphere and generous drinks the Golden Steer makes for a memorable night out.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
In the July I will be in Seattle for week and later in Portland, OR area.

I am just happy with "Logan's Roadhouse style", but recommend to me good places to eat beef and drink beer there ;-)

Jiri

Posts: 2077 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supposed to get some Wagyu steaks and roast from our own Bailey Bradshaw by the end of the week. He has a few on his place.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Try Binions downtown. It reeks of old Las Vegas.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had bighorn backstraps last night. Maybe not the best but damn sure one of the most expensive by weight!

Dall sheep fillets over a willow fire is tough to beat too. They might be even more pricey nowadays.

I'm a hunter!
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
I had bighorn backstraps last night. Maybe not the best but damn sure one of the most expensive by weight!

Dall sheep fillets over a willow fire is tough to beat too. They might be even more pricey nowadays.

I'm a hunter!
Zeke

I didn't know they were beef.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craftsteak in Vegas. Wagu tasting menu!

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill!

Tom Perini serves Angus beef at Perini Ranch...I've eaten a wheelbarrow load of 'em since they're only about 40 miles from our place...

Best beef I've eaten in life has to go to Akaushi...an old Japanese breed that has established a toehold here in the U.S.

Of course, one of our own Angus (grass fat, not grain fed) ain't near bad, either!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 607 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fishtales in Marathon florida ages and butchers their own angus beef. Best steak I've had. I do them on the grill by searing them rare.

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure why it hasn't been posted yet , but I was always told the best beef was when you ate at your' neighbors Wink

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love steak and these are all great suggestions. I still like buffalo tongue.

Posts: 10032 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 218 Bee:
Hey Bill!

Tom Perini serves Angus beef at Perini Ranch...I've eaten a wheelbarrow load of 'em since they're only about 40 miles from our place...

Best beef I've eaten in life has to go to Akaushi...an old Japanese breed that has established a toehold here in the U.S.

Of course, one of our own Angus (grass fat, not grain fed) ain't near bad, either!

Mark

Boy I'd love to eat a steak at Perini's.

– John Green, author

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I had a fantastic steak in Kenya of all places many (many, many years ago) years ago. But, the one recent stand-out was this steak that I had in Buenos Aires about three years ago. It was nothing short of fantastic.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey Bradshaw, in addition to making awesome doubles is also raising Wagyu cattle. I need to drop him a line and get some ribeyes.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hump steaks (bison) are really hard to beat on a good wood fired grill.

Second, would be a genuine Japanese Kobe steak, or the "Pitchfork Fondue Steaks" I had at the Gros Ventre rez up outside of Zortman, MT.

They use about a thirty gallon copper kettle, half full of beef fat, get a rolling boil going, stick a 2" Bison steak on a pitchfork and just hold it in the boiling fat for 20-30 seconds. Wow!