Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flood Lights Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Ever notice when city folks move to a rural area instead of enjoying the dark, quiet, and star lit nights they have to put lots of high power flood lights up all around the house they bought. Roll Eyes

Dont they realize how annoying that is to the other people that live in the area?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they do. They are just so narcissistic that they can't care about anyone except themselves. We call them the "It's ALL About Me" generation.
A good air rifle takes care of the lights. After a couple hundred a pop replacements they figure it out.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It isn't just in the rural areas, and it isn't just flood lights. People seem to have lost the ability or willingness to consider the effect of their actions on their neighbors.

In the city, my neighbors park on the street instead of using their garages, resulting in no parking for visitors. One neighbor leaves a prorch light on 24/7 and it shines into my kitchen. Not a big deal, but irritating.

(All of my neighbors are liberal, self anointed intellectual types.)

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
i love the pompous asses that put the lights in the yard shining back on the house.

Just so you can see it, don't cha know.

Billy Ray Cyrus put up street lights all along a county road at the place he used to own (still might) in the middle of county land.

Luckily the neighbor's finally burned out years ago, he left and the new owner hates night lights.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
Ever notice when city folks move to a rural area instead of enjoying the dark, quiet, and star lit nights they have to put lots of high power flood lights up all around the house they bought. Roll Eyes

Dont they realize how annoying that is to the other people that live in the area?

In this county a halogen "yard light" is required by statute around the primary dwelling so that fire departments and emergency crews can find the house.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I guess we have to be protected from ourselves. I live in Vancouver, Washington on a 1-1/3 acre lot with 3 dewllings on it. At last count I have 21 lights outside. They all remain OFF unless I, my wife or visitors are outside after dark. I abhor exterior lights left on just 'cause. What a waste. Enough rant.

Thanks,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you are close enought for a dusk to dawn light to bother you it can't be that rural.
I had one that cost $7.00 a month courtsy of the electric co. It was handy when working around the house in winter. I wanted the electric co to put a switch on the curcit but they refused.
Where I am now I use motion detector lights.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you truly live in the country, a light is a great help when the dogs in the kennel open up or hell breaks loose in the chicken yard or the coyotes chase your barn cats up a tree. It leaves you both hands to handle the shotgun that is loaded and kept propped next to the kitchen door.
And, as posted, if you work a regular job and have to do most of your choreing up after dark, it sure beats using a flash light or lantern.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Put me down as one of the flood light lovers but that is because they are either on switches or have motion sensors.

Nothing like walking around your place at night in the dark if you feel like it, but it sure is handy to turn on the sunshine when you need to do something outside.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If you guys have neighbors close enough at night that the light from their house bothers you, you don't live in the country.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...they have to put lots of high power flood lights up all around the house they bought.

I hear ya brother. My neighbor for 5 decades was a dairy farmer. He sold off a part of a pasture so his daughter could build a house. His son-in-law is a general contractor. For whatever reason, they light up the exterior of their house like it was the Taj Mahal...and not at Christmas time, during the whole year. They've even got spots on clumps of white birch trees, for goodness sakes!

It has nothing to do with security or safety. It's all about an inflated ego of the richy-rich.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen the same sort of "let me show you what a palace I live in" lighting in town. But when I lived in OK and in WV, our and our neighbor's mercury vapour lights were purely functional.
As posted, maybe you don't really live in the country.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what air guns are for.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're close enough to shoot out your neighbor's light with an air gun, you certainly don't live in the country.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
If you guys have neighbors close enough at night that the light from their house bothers you, you don't live in the country.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
City people are afraid of the dark. Out side lights are handy when you need them. Mine all have switchs on them. I never leave them on all night.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor had a halogen street light on the side of his garage door, I smashed it out with a shovel in front of him. He apologized a couple of days later, great neighbor.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

Not necessarily true. At my ranch that sits on 2000 acres we built our house on a hill in the back of the property over a mile from the entrance. Can see for 10-12 miles and at night there's not a single light that can be seen...it's magical. Well, my neighbor to the south which is the direction our house faces built a new house and put up a dusk til dawn light. BTW, I imagine he visits his place about once every 6-8 weeks. Now instead of not seeing any signs of civilization, I get to look at his one lone light bulb smack dab in the middle of my nighttime view. It sucks but it's his right.

My ranch is in one of the darkest areas of the lower 48, where several stargazing and meteor shower gatherings are held but it's gradually getting polluted with light. Sad that it'll change forever just cause we think we need to see what we're doing at night.

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what happens when you don't own it all.

Aim for the exit hole

posted Hide Post
Scott,

Why not mosey on down there and unscrew that light bulb after he leaves. Not all the way, mind you, just enough to extinguish the light.

This way, you aren't destroying his property. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Wasbeeman, you're right. I heard someone once say, "I don't want to own all the land, just the land that touches mine".

George-

I've considered this but it's one of those mercury vapor things on the top of a utility pole and I'd probably break my friggin neck in the process. He's mentioned that he has game cams planted around his house and barn also so it'd be a little embarrassing as well when he sends me a pic of me on my extension ladder.

I'm gonna offer to pay the cost to have an electrician put a switch on it and he may go for that.....or I'll just shoot it out the next time I get liquored up and am out coon huntin' hilbily

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's always better to work it out amicably.

Next time he's out there, invite him over for drinks after dark.

Sit out back and let him see how his light ruins the vistas.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanderhoef:
He's mentioned that he has game cams planted around his house and barn also so it'd be a little embarrassing as well when he sends me a pic of me on my extension ladder.

Get a gorilla suit and wear it when you climb the ladder. But then again the resulting National Enquirer type reporters hanging around might be a bigger pain.
space

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
City folks do it because all they know is, when the lites go out, a riot begins!!

To liberals, there is no such thing as "illegal", just people who are needing help at our expence!

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote