THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Warning! Post Office insurance and rifles

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning! Post Office insurance and rifles Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
So get this.

I shipped a M1 Garand and a Springfield 1903. The Post Office lost the package. I had purchased $2,300 in insurance. Now the Post Office informs me that these are prohibited items. Because the firearms are capable of being concealed on a person.

So if a Garand can be concealed then that basically means that virtually all rifles are prohibited items.

I have read the relevant ATF and Postal regulations and this ruling appears to be not only invalid but unbelievably stupid.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either go to a higher authority or get a lawyer. Ridiculous argument on their part.

I have heard the PO is a real bitch for paying claims, but this takes the cake. Personally I'd spend more on an attorney and make them pay.

BTW, if you had sent the package registered mail, not only would it not have been "lost" but it would have been cheaper. Delivery is slower, but EVERYONE who handles a registered mail package has to sign for it. That's why they don't get "lost".

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree that is not correct.It would be worth the lawyers fee (somewhat) to get justice. [boy does'nt that sound terrible]. I have a horror story of my own,actually my sons that is quite similar in context but not in value.When my son was in the service he came home for Christmas before getting shipped to the sand box. I bought him a stereo,he had no room in the car to make it back to Ft. Lee so I mailed it insured for $500.00.It was trashed in the shipment + the P.O. would not pay. "What is the value?,Where is your receipt?",etc. ad nauseum.Long story short,it does't matter how much you insure it for,if you don't have a receipt of sale then "their people" will determine the packages value.Even though I had a receipt the P.O would not honor it.Your insured value in dollars will not be paid.My question to the post mistress was if you knew you would'nt pay $500.00 for this stereo why did you allow me to insure it? She said,"Well thats the way it is."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Hi.

My name is M1 Garand.

You may remember me from movies such as 'Saving Private Ryan', 'The Big Red One', 'The Longest Day', and 'Band of Brothers'.

I am 44 inches long and weigh nearly ten pounds.

But according to the US Post Office, I am a concealable weapon.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Push it up the chain starting with the REGIONAL Postmaster.
CC Federal elected officials if a followup is required. let those elected do the job they were elected to do an so they can help stir action after contact with regional PM is required.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got a hold of the typical bureaucrat: They don't know shit but have learned that a aggressive tone of voice and a assertive manner will go a long ways. I ran into it locally when some dumbazz told me "I've been with the PO for 25 years and I know everything there is to know about shipping a rifle". Come to find out, she didn't.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
wasbe,you got that right. I went through that same B.S. several years ago.I bought a pair of cons.ser. # colts 1873 at an estate sale.They had the hard rubber grips but I wanted to send them to Hartford to have Ivory grips (would'nt you?)The UPS idiot said that I could'nt do it because that is how terrorists get their guns.Total B.S. but that is what the general public goes by.Happy ending though,I was informed to just pull the cylinders + mail only the frame + thus were not a gun.It worked.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Lost, my ass.
The ATF would be my first call. I'm sure they would be quite interested in how the postal service "lost" a full-length semi-auto high-powered rifle just to name one. Both of those 'properly insured' rifles are somewhere and there is certainly a paper trail. I hope you have the receipt and tracking number handy when you call. A lawyer isn't going to do shit to get those rifles returned or most importantly, out of the hands of someone who might not have good intentions. Just my opinion, go straight to the top quick.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/r...arms-theft-or-loss-0

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5109 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
That's B/S... my first couple of CMP Garands came to me via the USPS!!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I suppose Shaq or Charles Barkley could kinda sorta conceal an M1.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Your Attorney General's office will look into the stolen rifles for free. All you do is make copies of your invoice and the USPS insured receipt and the cash receipt or charge receipt and send it to them.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5109 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote