Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cataract Surgery Login/Join 
one of us
posted
If you've had cataract (lens replacement) surgery and think your problems are solved; or you are thinking of having cataract surgery and think it's "one and done". Guess again.

I had both lenses replaced in 2012. I thought it was the greatest surgery ever. (I thought of my grandfather who was all but blind due to cataracts before he died.)

Guess again though. It's called a Posterior Capsule, or secondary cataract. You can encounter it months or years after lens replacement.

The solution luckily is fairly simple. A laser procedure burns a hole in the back side of the capsule holding your lens, and that sharp vision you had after the lens replacement is restored.

I had my right eye done yesterday. Vision today almost good as new, and should get better.

http://heritageeyecenter.com/p...sterior-capsulotomy/

What I can't figure out is why doesn't your original surgeon mention the secondary cataract as a 50% probability?

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had both eyes done in 1993 and was restored to 20/20 from legally blind.Today I am still 20/20 and have never looked back. Sorry your experience had to include the secondary occurance and hope all is correct now and forever.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
If you've had cataract (lens replacement) surgery and think your problems are solved; or you are thinking of having cataract surgery and think it's "one and done". Guess again.

I had both lenses replaced in 2012. I thought it was the greatest surgery ever. (I thought of my grandfather who was all but blind due to cataracts before he died.)

Guess again though. It's called a Posterior Capsule, or secondary cataract. You can encounter it months or years after lens replacement.

The solution luckily is fairly simple. A laser procedure burns a hole in the back side of the capsule holding your lens, and that sharp vision you had after the lens replacement is restored.

I had my right eye done yesterday. Vision today almost good as new, and should get better.

http://heritageeyecenter.com/p...sterior-capsulotomy/

What I can't figure out is why doesn't your original surgeon mention the secondary cataract as a 50% probability?

Gall bladder and now eye surgery? Are ya' falling apart? I had lens replacement 2 years ago, 20/20 vision and developed the same thing after only 6 or 7 months. The fix takes less than a minute per eye (after a few minutes wait for eye drops to take affect) is painless and vision was restored to 20/20 after a very short time and the problem is not supposed to reoccur.
Good luck.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2770 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Kensco: Hope everything is alright now. But . . .

A recent article in the Dominion Post reported that a woman has sued Wellington Hospital, saying that after her husband had surgery there, he lost all interest in sex.

A hospital spokesman replied: "Your husband was admitted for cataract surgery. All we did was correct his eyesight!"

Posts: 2080 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I had mine done in 2012. Had worn glasses since childhood and couldn't see to drive without them.

After surgery I went for a driver's license renewal and passed the eye test--no more restricted lenses on my DL.

I still need bifocals (or reading glasses) to read--didn't pop for the $2K/per eye extra to get near vision (ophthalmologist recommended against it).

All was great, until a year ago. Started seeing thousands of little black dots out of my right eye.

Turns out I had a detached retina. Repair surgery was successful in re-attaching the retina, but now I have massive amounts of "floaters" in my right eye. Really annoying, and I haven't shot a rifle or shotgun in over a year (I'm right eye dominant).

Turns out that cataract removal recipients have about a 25% greater chance of detached retina than those who haven't had it done.

So, while cataract surgery has its benefits (and I'd do it again), there are some potential complications.

If you are considering the procedure you might want to discuss some of the possible issues with your eye doctor.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had my right eye done in 2010,left was fine although I still need to wear glasses. My insurance company would only pay for either short or long vision,to have both (20/20) was considered elective surgery so they would not pay. That was Blue Cross BTW.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nitro,I had my cataract surgery in Feb. 2010 + had a detatched retina surgery in Sept. 2010.Dr's claimed there was no tying the 2 together.Hardest part was sleeping on my stomach + trying (+ failing to work) one can't do anything when all you can do is look straight down.The sight in my eye was like looking underwater. As it started to clear after about 3 weeks it was like looking out a swimming pool half submerjed.Top was clear but bottom was under water;best way I know to describe it.Never want to deal with that again. Worst part was the inactivity + sleeping on my stomach.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hardest part was sleeping on my stomach + trying (+ failing to work) one can't do anything when all you can do is look straight down.Never want to deal with that again. Worst part was the inactivity + sleeping on my stomach.

Norm;

Couldn't agree more!

For those who've never had a detached retina and subsequent surgery, the doctor re-attaches the retina (cryogenically, in my case) and then injects a gas bubble into the eye, to press against the weld--sort of like pressing down on two pieces of whatever while the super glue dries.

Then you go home, and for a week have to spend half your waking hours with your head in a position that causes the gas bubble to press against the weld. This typically entails looking at the floor for 8 hours a day (in rotations, not all at once) for a week, and sleeping so the bubble continues to do its job.

After about 2 days you're going nuts!

Also, no driving, reading, or working on the computer. You can watch TV, if you can figure a way to see the program on a mirror on the floor, with the image upside down.

Slowly the gas bubble gets smaller and smaller, and when it's gone, you're finished with the recovery--if you're lucky and it worked.

As Norman said, the recovery is the worst part of the whole event. The surgery itself takes about 15 minutes and is virtually painless.

The process is nerve-wracking, but the alternative is a 100% assurance of permanent blindness. Not really an option.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote