Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best pricing on Sporting Goods Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I have been pleasantly surprised by Academy Sports.

I had been to a few in TX but not really shopped them.

They just started opening branches in Central Florida.

I have managed to get some great deals on clearance items. Barnes TSX 30/06 ammo at $20 a box and Penn Fathom FTH 20 fishing reel for $100.

Their prices are competitive with Amazon and their store brands are pretty good.

Their product price points are mid-market and they have a pretty good store rewards credit card.

Overall glad they are around. Keep other retailers honest and good for the outdoor consumer.

I wish they put more barnes tsx on clearance.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
There is one lure that I use that I thought was ONLY available at wally world.

No Academy had it buried among all of the lures in the display. Not only do they carry it, but it is something like sixty cents cheaper on a three dollar and change item too.

That lure holds the record for the largest Smallie I have caught too.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like academy a lot as well, very good value.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Academy has really improved.Years ago they were a great store then went downhill. There must have been a change in ownership/management as now they are a top rate store again.Kind of like the Sako/Garcia situation several years ago. It is a joy to shop in an Academy store now when not too many years ago it was like a 3rd.world nation.Glad they got turned around. Wonder who was responsible for that;a guy to watch + take stock options.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Academy has really improved.Years ago they were a great store then went downhill. There must have been a change in ownership/management as now they are a top rate store again.Kind of like the Sako/Garcia situation several years ago. It is a joy to shop in an Academy store now when not too many years ago it was like a 3rd.world nation.Glad they got turned around. Wonder who was responsible for that;a guy to watch + take stock options.

Kkr owns them - it is well run and it is pro hunting/Guns unlike dicks.

They along with Best Buy have figured out at least how to price compete with amazon.

I always price check with amazon and amazon is no longer the lowest price.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote