Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo-ammo-ammo Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I stopped in the Cabela’s in Allen (Tx) today to check for reloading components, like I’ve been doing every week or so for the past year, and they had a very few boxes of Hornady bullets but nothing I needed. No primers or powder (had Pyrodex) but had lots of ammunition, in quite a few different calibers, one whole section was full of ammo and an employee was bringing more on a cart. Hopefully, ammo supplies will return to a reasonable level pretty soon.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2761 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I stopped in the Cabela’s in Allen (Tx) today to check for reloading components, like I’ve been doing every week or so for the past year, and they had a very few boxes of Hornady bullets but nothing I needed. No primers or powder (had Pyrodex) but had lots of ammunition, in quite a few different calibers, one whole section was full of ammo and an employee was bringing more on a cart. Hopefully, ammo supplies will return to a reasonable level pretty soon.

Ammo at bass pro and some at academy here.

Prices have been increased to curb stockpiling.

$13-$15 for 20 rounds of 223 and there is Ammo to buy.

Love the price mechanism.

On 4th July I bought Norma 308 ammo for $20 a box. Good solid brass to reload later.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure what the real reason is, but I saw 300 Savage Ammo (Remington Core Lokt-nothing special) for $57/box/(of 20) in our local Sportsman's. Only two boxes, at that. Prices on all other calibers were way out of line as well. Obscene. Happy to realize that I have been buying up and hoarding ammo for the last 20+ years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

Not sure what the real reason is, but I saw 300 Savage Ammo (Remington Core Lokt-nothing special) for $57/box/(of 20) in our local Sportsman's. Only two boxes, at that. Prices on all other calibers were way out of line as well. Obscene. Happy to realize that I have been buying up and hoarding ammo for the last 20+ years.

beyond the current panic buying mania copper and other commodities have globally ripped higher. dont expect prices to revert back to old commodity price levels.

there is no shortage of 223/556 and 308 to buy locally.

no real lines outside of academy either.

give it 6 months and there will be a lot more ammo out there.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

TAC-22 at Big 5 for $12 a box. Um, no...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked up 500 rounds of 9mm ammo at academy for $.35 a round.

I could have bought another 150 but I think 500 is a nice round number Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Not to mention that you left some for the next guy. Some call that courtesy.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Oh gosh, since ammo is starting to show up in stores then maybe canning lids will also appear again? I know, wishful thinking.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a shortage of lids there? The last time I checked, our stores had plenty.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None here since March of 2020.

I am on 'waiting lists' for lids. I am saving lids from non meat processed jars as a last resort. I normally would never reuse a flat lid. I do have a supply as when people were buying and hording toilet paper and left none for the rest of us I bought lids.

Stores may get a box of lids but they are gone as fast as they are put out because they only bring in such a small supply. I'll make it through this canning season but not happy that supplies for just about everything are so limited still in my area. That includes ammo.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, let me me see what I can find around here. Just like ammo, primers, powder, etc. I have kept a good stock of my canning lids for my own use. I'll check the store tomorrow; standard or wide mouth preference, or both?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Ann, let me me see what I can find around here. Just like ammo, primers, powder, etc. I have kept a good stock of my canning lids for my own use. I'll check the store tomorrow; standard or wide mouth preference, or both?

Me too. My wife lost interest in canning and there may be a few lids in the garage...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Lord, lost interest in canning? Preserving your garden goodies is the best food on the planet.

If you guys find stuff let me know. I have regular and wide mouth jars. I will happily buy them off you. I am canning green beans and beets today.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
15 seconds on Amazon and here you are

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=c..._sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_12

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I won't use Chinese made products for preserving. Many of those listed as Ball or Kerr are suspiciously priced. Many vastly over priced.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
How can you know if Bell or Kerr labeled products are for real?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann check your local ACE hardware.
I got my last ones at wal-mart, and then at the local tractor supply place.
but I know for sure the ACE here has them since the S.I.L. is a manager there.

there is also the plastic reusable lids that are American made [both companies, and the owners are related]
a Gal I talk to that ranches in Wyoming recommended them to me, the day before I found the others, so I haven't bought any yet.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had interest in those plastic lids but lots of people report failures with them so I have not bought any. Not yet at least.

I think supply issues are regional as some people tell me their area is stocked yet small town America isn't. I am on the waiting lists of the local hardware store.

Jerry, those may be real Ball and Kerr on Amazon but the prices listed are very inflated. Probably horders re-selling at high profit. All of the off label lids on Amazon are made in china. No way I would ever use them.

Excuses on supply have been covid, steel issues, but I know Ball sold off their glass and lid outfit and it seems to me to be mismanagement of a new owner.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Good Lord, lost interest in canning? Preserving your garden goodies is the best food on the planet.

If you guys find stuff let me know. I have regular and wide mouth jars. I will happily buy them off you. I am canning green beans and beets today.

I'll check this morning.

TomP

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I've had interest in those plastic lids but lots of people report failures with them so I have not bought any. Not yet at least.

I think supply issues are regional as some people tell me their area is stocked yet small town America isn't. I am on the waiting lists of the local hardware store.

Jerry, those may be real Ball and Kerr on Amazon but the prices listed are very inflated. Probably horders re-selling at high profit. All of the off label lids on Amazon are made in china. No way I would ever use them.

Excuses on supply have been covid, steel issues, but I know Ball sold off their glass and lid outfit and it seems to me to be mismanagement of a new owner.

I have 22 lids and rings for wide-mouth jars, they date from mid-80s so may or may not seal right.

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom, thanks for checking for me. They are probably too old. I know the sealing compound on the newer ones is different than back then.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
You mean one can buy ammo in a store, I thought one had to roll their own.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of us still do. BTW, in the monthly Dillon catalogue, they are offering a rig to reload 22 L.R.