New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping ammo rules? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
What are the rules for shipping live factory ammo within the USA one individual to another individual?

Mail? UPS?

Answers & recommendations please.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Nevermind... found it... too complicated..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I just asked the same question in the classified section. I was directed to UPS. I gave them a call and it all sounds pretty straightforward; no special license or verification needed. I haven’t shipped it yet but I can give you an update after I do. BTW the estimate they gave me for cost is about $110 for two boxes, 24 and 37 pounds.

Posts: 7487 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
USPS won't do it, UPS will. If it's going to California it has to go to an FFL or someone otherwise licensed to sell ammunition.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Correct. USPS will not/cannot ship live ammo. UPS can. My issue here is that UPS is so F.U.ed that they will not deliver pkgs to the house, just leave them on the ground at the gate. I've lost many due to this behavior. On the other end of this; thefts of pkgs at the end of the road have become so prevalent that this last Tx. Legislature passed HB 37 that could assign a 10-year prison sentence. Sounds good like all the others that are not enforced. I guess it at least looks like they're doing something in session when all they're doing here in Austin is getting drunk + chasing whores. Sorry, got off the subject but the total flipping the bird at the public while living with special privileges really pisses me off.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Correct. USPS will not/cannot ship live ammo. UPS can. My issue here is that UPS is so F.U.ed that they will not deliver pkgs to the house, just leave them on the ground at the gate. I've lost many due to this behavior. On the other end of this; thefts of pkgs at the end of the road have become so prevalent that this last Tx. Legislature passed HB 37 that could assign a 10-year prison sentence. Sounds good like all the others that are not enforced. I guess it at least looks like they're doing something in session when all they're doing here in Austin is getting drunk + chasing whores. Sorry, got off the subject but the total flipping the bird at the public while living with special privileges really pisses me off.

I call UPS and request that they hold the package at their facility for pickup.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also worth a try is adding "Adult Signature Required". But I agree that the UPS pickup center is the way to go.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ups "adult signature required" is a fairly pricy add on and ups has always required it for my ammo shipments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was always worth the cost when having firearms delivered. Besides, the customer was paying for the delivery anyway.