New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I be worried? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
One of the problems with having kids is they grow up and start doing things you don't expect. My youngest daughter's boyfriend is one of those extreme sports guys, and a photographer/videographer, and apparently he's gotten one of his videos to be aired in the US.

http://www.rightthisminute.com...g-high-above-france/

The TV presenters got their information a little mixed up, since Pierre is not in the video, but when do they get that sort of stuff right? Should I be worried about my daughter?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just make sure she understands the risks of such behavior and hopefully she won't be engaging in any risky acts to suite the cameraman. These kinds of people, sooner or later usually end up crippled or DEAD.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with highlining, and have helped in the rigging of them. As far as "extreme sports" go, it is extremely safe. One is tethered in and harnessed at all times. The line itself is doubled. The anchors are well constructed, and from my personal experience, those who rig them are expert riggers. I would say that contrary to looks, this is actually essentially an entirely safe activity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trouble is, highlining now but what comes next for a rush? Yea, I hear safe...safe..safe...........but how many experts get killed doing thier extreme sport. Just a few months ago that female extreme skier...one of the best ever...was killed. Mountain climbers, pro's yet...die all the time. I remember when Rob Lowe....of climbing gear fame...one of the best climbers ever...fell to his death. It's risky business no matter how you look at it. Wink, make sure your daughter knows the risks no matter what expert is there to assist. People make mistakes and in this game, a mistake can have some pretty terrible consequences.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
Life insurance will be very expensive, but worth every penny !

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Highlining has gotten quite common ,there's even one here in my small Catskill Mtn town.
Other sportslike automobile rallies have gotten much safer through safer cars and safer equipment .Yes it's pooible to get a rush safely.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After looking at the set up I don't see much danger. Unless the rope breaks even then it is doubled.

When this people get "SMART" and start doing it with out safety harness and rope then it well be dangerous

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you already know the answer to the question... hell no. Just cause some half azz lame brain is dating your daughter doesn't mean she has to be brain dead like him! Dudes like that never stick around long anyways, my advise is to distract your daughter anyway you can till danger dan moves on to greener pastures. Hope you sort all out!

Posts: 94 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
14,000+++ casualties (deaths, permanent spinal injuries, disabilities etc.) a year (in the U.S.A.) for CHEERLEADING, under ADULT direction.

Give me a frigging break!! That "statistic" is beyond absurd if you are implying that all injuries in the 14,000 are "deaths, permanent spinal injuries, disablities, etc".

quote:

Between 1982 and 2007, there were 103 fatal, disabling or serious injuries recorded among female high school athletes, with the vast majority (67) occurring in cheerleading. No other sports registered double-figure tallies; gymnastics (9) and track (7) had the 2nd and 3rd highest totals, respectively.

Among college athletes, there have been 39 such injuries: 26 in cheerleading, followed by three in field hockey and two each in lacrosse and gymnastics.

In 2007, two catastrophic injuries to female high school cheerleaders were reported, down from 10 in the previous season, and the lowest number since 2001. However, there were three catastrophic injuries to college-level participants, up from one in 2006.

Mueller said catastrophic sporting injuries may never be totally eliminated, but collecting and constantly analyzing reliable injury data can help reduce them dramatically.

According to the report, almost 95,200 female students take part in high school cheerleading annually, along with about 2,150 males. College participation numbers are hard to find since cheerleading is not an NCAA sport. The report also notes that according to the NCAA Insurance program, 25 percent of money spent on student athlete injuries in 2005 resulted from cheerleading.

Wink:

I wouldn't be too worried, the acorn normally doesn't fall far from the tree. I would mention to her that you were naturally concerned for her safety and hoped that she would use a modicum of common sense in her choice of thrills.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They wear safety harnesses, so it is no more dnagerous than the average "ropes" courses they have in my cities.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of hard to argue that "you shouldn't participate in this risky sport -- can't talk to you now -- let's talk as soon as I get back from Africa -- the buffalo/elephant/cats are waiting."

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
The trouble is, highlining now but what comes next for a rush? Yea, I hear safe...safe..safe...........but how many experts get killed doing thier extreme sport. Just a few months ago that female extreme skier...one of the best ever...was killed. Mountain climbers, pro's yet...die all the time. I remember when Rob Lowe....of climbing gear fame...one of the best climbers ever...fell to his death. It's risky business no matter how you look at it. Wink, make sure your daughter knows the risks no matter what expert is there to assist. People make mistakes and in this game, a mistake can have some pretty terrible consequences.

Who is Rob Lowe? Alex Lowe died in an avalanche. Jeff and Greg were the ones that made the climbing gear. FWIW I have lost 3 friends to mountaineering accidents. None have been from faulty rigging, leading to a fall. That is extremely rare. One died from avalanche in CO, one died from hypothermia on Mont Blanc, and one died from HACE on Cho Oyo. While mountaineering can be dangerous it is not what I would call a thrill seeking sport. Each friend that was killed were doing long, arduous ascents. They spent much of their time in a cold, dark, cramped tent, living off of romen noodles and tang. Not so glamorous, but it does have its rewards.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramboillet,please sir,stay worried about your daughter.It is a different world today + I worry about mine.

Posts: 4252 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote