New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Ethical question Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It took us 3.5 hrs to cut the wood I supplied half the labor,tractor to skid it,Truck to haul it and the wood.

My freind makes less then 10 dollars a hr so even at 10 an hr at 1.75 hrs thats thats 17.5 dollars. Thats about 20 percent of a cord.

I can assure you he recived a lot more value in wood over the years then in labor given even at twice the wage he makes.

pdog shooter,
As far as I can see, you dont have to justify any of this to us. The fellow was actually taking advatage of your good will, and it's his loss.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
quote:
It took us 3.5 hrs to cut the wood I supplied half the labor,tractor to skid it,Truck to haul it and the wood.

My freind makes less then 10 dollars a hr so even at 10 an hr at 1.75 hrs thats thats 17.5 dollars. Thats about 20 percent of a cord.

I can assure you he recived a lot more value in wood over the years then in labor given even at twice the wage he makes.

pdog shooter,
As far as I can see, you dont have to justify any of this to us. The fellow was actually taking advatage of your good will, and it's his loss.

I agree completely.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Another question would be how much is the wood worth and how much is the labor worth.

Thats is easy to figure wood is 85 dollars a cord here for good fire wood.

If ones hourly wage is 10 dollars a hr then it takes 8.5 hrs of work to come out even per cord.

If one makes 20 dollars and hour then its 4.025 hrs to break even.

Well, your math sucks. First of all, he and you EACH had 3 1/2 hours of labor in the wood on the side of the road AND that wood was not split into cord wood. To that point, at $10 an hour the wood had $70 worth of labor ($35 each) and the wood was not cut to length and split. (As an aside, what this does show is that if you value your time at $10 or more, and don't LOVE wood cutting as an avocation, then at $85 a cord locally, it is MUCH cheaper to buy it than cut it yourself, not even including the fairly high probability of getting hurt one way or another)

Second, you asked if you were wrong, and the answer is a flat yes. You had an agreement with him and you violated it. Was it a big deal? Not really. It just depends on how you view the value of your word and friends. Your follow-up posts are attempts to rationalize an action that you knew was not correct or fair to start with. If you thought it was right, you'd never have asked the question.

It doesn't matter who's tree it was, who's equipment, past history of wood cuttings, etc. All that is smokescreen/rationalization. Knowing all that IN ADVANCE, you had a deal to divide the wood and you didn't complete it. Big deal? Not really. Right? Not a chance.

If all the "yeah, it's Ok" posters in here imagined that you were the other person, and came in here saying, "Whaddya think? Was this fair?" (Heading) "I had an agreement with a friend of mine who owns some land with trees on it to help him cut some firewood and then we'd split the wood. We cut the wood, moved it to the side of the road and the next thing I hear is he's taken the wood home without even telling me. We'd done it before so I had no idea that he was going to take ALL of the wood we cut TOGETHER this time for himself.
I feel I was screwed out of my labor? Whaddya think?"

And, of course, you'd all be saying, "Yep, you got screwed."

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If all the "yeah, it's Ok" posters in here imagined that you were the other person, and came in here saying, "Whaddya think? Was this fair?"

Gato,
pdog called the fellow and said lets go cut wood to get you filled up too.
if it was me, and I have been in such agreements before, I'd have said sure, how about saturday. But, I dont look to take advantage of someonelses generosity.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it I agree with Gato, both on the issue that you had an agreement and that also it is really no big deal.

To me, the only "big deal" I can see is if we truly do not know why your friend is upset. We are assuming he is being petty but there are many other issues that might be involved.

For instance, here are a couple that have affected me in the past-

Biggest one is that I once live in a house with a wood furnace tied into the forced air system. It was a very poorly insulated house and so you pretty much had to have the stove filled and running continuously whenever the temp dropped below 20 outside or it would be cold in the house. All my children were small, if you have never had a concern about cold kids that is wonderful but when one of your kids gets up and is too small to know any better but wants you to make it better because she is cold you'll say the hell with that and do what you need to do in order to have a warm house.

So I burned a LOT of wood from Dec-Feb.

Now, the thing was the stove would take a 32" log but it had a pretty small doorway. and my logsplitter would only take a 24" piece. So if I cut logs I had to split they would bunch up in the front and be a PITA to move around, so I would go and cut all these long skinny trees that I could fit in the stove.

If I had selected a couple truck loads of those skinny trees, and then someone burned them but offered to replace them with large chunks I could see being upset.

I am not saying this is what your friends mindset is, but I suspect there is more to his feelings than you just taking a couple truck loads and if you find out what they are it might be a good experience for the both of you.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Oh, I only gave one example, here is another-

Another stove we had once would smoke like the dickens and smoulder unless the wood was really dry, then it was a pretty good running stove. He may have been mentally wanting to have some wood that had dried for a year so it would burn better in his stove. If that is the case you might consider offering that he pick up your wood and the both of you cut some more and it would go to you instead of him.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get over it, Pdog shooter. The dork has been riding on your nickle for years and now wants to lay a guilt trip on you. Dems, libs, and whiners are like that. They feel they are owed a free ride.
You owe him nothing. You might want to tell him that by selling the half of the wood that you usually gave to him, you can buy a new rifle. Wink

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
And as far as I am on concerned, the other fellow did not do ANY of the things to complete the deal which one would ordinarily expect.

He did not offer to help finish the wood up to useable size for either or both of you or to help move it to both your respective wood sheds. He didn't offer to get his share off your land and out of your way. He did not even bother to give you any idea of what his plans were regarding his wood "stored" free at your place for "aging", if he bothered to make any.

It seems to me he put in a few hours helping partially cut his own wood (or what he perceived to be his wood...even though at that point it was still YOUR wood, undivided). And it also appears that he expected you to arrange and maybe even do all the rest, including guarding "his" wood to make sure no one else took any of it. There certainly doesn't seem to be any evidence to the contrary.

A deal between two people cuts two ways along the route to successful completion. You provided he wood, did as much labor as he in the initial primary cutting, stored and guarded the wood, and finally made sure the site was cleaned up and the wood removed. He didn't do jack shit after the first bit of work.

To be more blunt, I'd simply tell him to go piss up a rope. That kind of "friend" one can find anywhere, if one wants any such.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, whose wood were you burning? Yours or some that someone else gave you? In your examples, you cited some pretty precise wood needs. If someone was giving you the wood, would you pout if it wasn't cut exactly like you wanted it?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I'm pleased I dont rely on a log burner to heat my house ......

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote