New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has It Really Come To This? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
http://www.dallasnews.com/busi...of-tipping-maids.ece

I personally don't consider it "stiffing a maid when I don't leave a tip in my hotel room. It's the hotel's responsibility to pay their help a living wage.

Maybe I'm cheap, but if I tip the maid, why don't I tip my doctor, or my dentist or the counter person that gives me my boarding pass at the airport. How about the men working on the highway? In Venezuela they slow you down and hold out their hardhat so you can pay them a "tip" for fixing the pothole in the street. I guess I should have tipped the guy that changed the oil in my car last week.

I don't currently stay at Marriott hotels, and will make it a point to continue that practice.

I'm tired of companies trying to goose me because they won't man-up and pay their people.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone follows their own drummer. I usually tip the housekeeping staff, domestic or foreign.

That said, I think the Marriot deal is chickenshit and, it obviously begs the question of why don't they pay their help more instead of putting the touch/onus on their customers.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you tip your gunsmith? How about stewardesses/stewards? The pilot?

I wonder if Marriott would promote this if you tried to pay for the room and told them you were planning to pay them $10 less so you could leave the maid a tip? I would suggest they are not that caring...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you tip your gunsmith? How about stewardesses/stewards? The pilot?

Gunsmith? I have, depending on cirumstances.

Flight attendants? I have, if they were significantly nicer or more helpful than normal.
One time I tipped a couple of male FAs just because they seemed to have a great attitude. Gave them a $20, told them to have a drink or two on me.

The pilot makes enough money without my pittance.

Like I said, everyone walks to their own drummer. I don't give a fluck what you or anyone else does, I'll do what I think is right for the circumstances.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
[QUOTE]Do you tip your gunsmith? How about stewardesses/stewards? The pilot?

Gunsmith? I have, depending on circumstances.

Tip, no...BUT on many
occasions gunsmiths or gun stores have done things for me free of charge. Almost every time I refuse to accept that and pay them what I feel is the going rate for the service performed and quality produced. They usually protest and try to give the money back, but then I just lay it on the counter and say something like ..."Look what someone left here by accident. You better put this away so that when they come back looking for it, you'll have it to give to them."

Then they give up and take it. I'm nothing if not stubborn, and I always tell them how much I appreciate their work on my behalf, and I am happoy to see them making enough to stay in business so they'll be there if when I really need them.

Flight attendants? I have, if they were significantly nicer or more helpful than normal.

One time I tipped a couple of male FAs just because they seemed to have a great attitude. Gave them a $20, told them to have a drink or two on me.

Never. At the price airlines charge and the crumby accommodations they provide these days, I figure it is up to them to pay the attendants enough to live well on. I hardly ever fly anymore, but when I was flying several times every week, I always flew first class, and figured I had already paid for exceptionally good service. The flight attendants and I were on a first name basis, and I NEVER ever complained, hassled them, or was rude to them. I did always tell them I was really tickled to see them again, and asked about their week, their families, and so on.

They seemed to appreciate that as much as any tip I could have given them, and before long we became genuine friends. I don't tip friends...I think it is demeaning to them, and I find genuine respect for them as individuals goes a long way.

The pilot makes enough money without my pittance. Agreed. Plus the perks they get, almost all of them "cut a fat hog" as we used to say down south.

Like I said, everyone walks to their own drummer. I don't give a fluck what you or anyone else does, I'll do what I think is right for the circumstances.

10-4

[QUOTE]

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote