Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roger, go to throttle up! Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Even after 30 years, I stil remember this as if it were yesterday. Don't know why.
RIP Challenger crew.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I was driving to work on the morning the Challenger was lost when, for some unknown reason, I thought of an episode of the TV show called "Time Tunnel" that I used to watch as a kid.

The episode involved the 2 main characters appearing on a spacecraft that was about to be launched. One said to the other "I sure hope this isn't one of those Russian jobs or we'll be blown to bits."

I hadn't thought of the show, much less that particular episode, for 20 years. Out of the blue it flashed through my mind when the news on the radio mentioned the impending Challenger launch.

I'm not one to believe in premonitions but this was really spooky. Can't believe it was 30 years - half my life - ago.

RIP, brave souls.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a youngish Corporal in the 3rd ID on the Border at Camp Hof in W Germany. I commented the evening of the launch that I was very surprised that after 20 some launches that nothing had gone wrong.

Well, about 6 hours into my patrol, the VRC 77 crackled and I was told to report to the Camp CO upon return- well, seems that the Colonel was told that I had mentioned something about a problem with the shuttle and it was destroyed during flight. I had to explain to the Colonel that I was just thinking how safe the shuttle program had been and I was amazed that no problems had occurred- after all, lighting a few million HP under your butt had to have some risk....

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly this was avoidable.

Read later that some of the astronauts were believed to still be alive when they hit the water.

RIP

DRSS

Posts: 1910 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read later that some of the astronauts were believed to still be alive when they hit the water.

Yes I believe that is correct. No escape module or provisions for such.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still remember watching Krista get the apple prior to launch. Heros all

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going through a difficult time. The drilling company I had been managing in Odessa had shut down due to the oil bust and I was out of work. So I was sitting at home watching it live. Unbelievable development. I felt terrible watching the realization come to Krista's parents' faces, particularly her mother. Life can be unbelievably brutal at times.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was thinking about the Challenger accident, right after I heard it on the new, drove through a Stop sign and got schmucked. Wink Only my fault accident I've ever had.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote