THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Amateur prospector finds massive, $260,000 gold nugget buried under bush

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amateur prospector finds massive, $260,000 gold nugget buried under bush Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted
National Post Staff | Jan 17, 2013 1:10 PM ET

When an amateur prospector with a metal detector found something under a bush in Ballarat, Australia, he thought it was part of a car hood. Then he saw “a glint of gold.”

When he started scraping away dirt, “the gold kept expanding and expanding,” a friend of the unidentified man told the BBC. When he finished, he’d revealed the full scale of his find: a 22-cm-long hunk of gold weighing 5.5 kg.

It’s now up for sale for $260,000.

He is going to pay off a lot of bills and pay off his house
It’s an “extremely significant” discovery, Cordell Kent, owner and dealer of Ballarant Mining Exchange Gold Shop, told the BBC. “I have been a prospector and dealer for two decades, and cannot remember the last time a nugget over 100 ounces [2.8 kg] has been found locally.”

After discovering the nugget, the man rushed home to tell his wife. “He is going to pay off a lot of bills and pay off his house,” Kent said. “It’s a real life changer.”

The gold dealer told Australian media others had passed the site of the treasure in the past, but their detectors missed it.

If there are any more huge nuggets to find in the area, they may start surfacing soon. Kent’s expecting the find to create an amateur prospector gold rush.

“A finding like this gives people hope,” he said. “There’s nothing like digging up money, it’s good fun.”

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If that asking price is accurate, I'd buy it. Cool nugget at just over melt.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just checked and it is sold.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Wonder how much went to the govt

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was one thing I found very interesting about Australia, but never did any metal detector work myself. A number of the rig hands had found small nuggets and made jewelry for their wives / girl friends.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote