Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tool & Die makers don't wear rings. Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Have you noticed that those who make and handle fine work don't wear rings that might mar it!

Neither my late dad nor the men who worked in his shop wore rings.

Yet some who handle firearms do!

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
More importanly,it saves you losing a finger or worse.I had a burr come up while working my mill table that caught under my ring;I jerked back before I was pulled into the press,it broke before I came in contact.Some blood but a damn good lesson.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was running machine tools, I never wore rings, watches, bracelets, necklaces, neckties, gloves, or long sleeve shirts.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
When I was running machine tools, I never wore rings, watches, bracelets, necklaces, neckties, gloves, or long sleeve shirts.

+1! The best advice for anyone operating machine tools!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
It was actually a shop rule not to wear them. You got caught by safety or management and your ass was in a sling.

If you got caught by a machine, your ass was hamburger. Either the machine would pull you into it and kill you, or just rip off your hand or arm.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You want to get run-off, wear a ring outside the accommodation on an offshore rig.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my early machine shop learning days in high school they were very strict about such things. I still don't wear rings anywhere.
shame

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Growing up, spent a lot of time in my grandfather's mechanic's shop, a gunsmith's shop and my father's shop. None of them wore rings and I was taught not to as well. Well, I've been married for 34 years and never wore a ring, even though I've been a lawyer for nearly 30 years. Still have all my digits.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I worked in a steel mill eons ago and you were forbidden from wearing rings due to safety issues. Hard for your newlywed spouse to understand, until someone was electrocuted because of a wedding ring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a diemaker, I stopped wearing a wedding ring about a week after the wedding. One of my fellow workers told me a story of a guy getting his wedding band caught, somehow, in a running lathe. It stripped the finger off the bone. Whether it's true or not, it freaked me out so much that I still don't wear a ring, after being out of diemaking for many years.

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your friend wasn't lying neazor......I've seen ring finger avulsions a few times over the years as a hand surgeon. Basically unsalvageable.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I've known a few people who lost fingers because of their wedding rings.

One left his ring and a finger behind when it caught something around the door of an aircraft he was parachuting from.

Another. lost his ring and all the flesh from a finger while jumping down an obstacle in an obstacle course. His ring had caught a nail that was sticking up. The medics said his finger had become "de-gloved".

And one more was a workman who was lowering himself from the ceiling hatch to an attic crawlspace. He came down but his ring caught something and remained on top of the access hatch a few feet over his head. The finger bone was there but the meat was all gone, de-gloved.

I also worked with a mechanic who had a very close call. He was tightening a battery cable to the positive terminal of a battery using a crescent wrench. He was being very careful to keep the wrench from touching any metal and grounding out. But he forgot about his ring. The wrench was held against his ring and he put the back of his hand against the frame of the car. There was a big spark and he leaped back from the car with a howl. He danced around trying to get the ring off but it kept burning the fingers of his other hand. Finally, when he did get it off, you could see a nice ring of seared flesh where the ring had been. It eventually healed. He was left with a scar but you couldn't see it because he would wear the ring over it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Had a high school buddy that we coulda called nine-finger Mick, for the same reason as in Grenadier's 3rd. example.
Lot of amps stored in a car battery!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote