New
Find
Notify
Tools

I had to share Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted
My wife and I went to DC this past week. I had a training there for one day and we decided to make it our summer vacation. We had never been to DC so decided to take in the sites.

On our last day we went to Arlington Cemetary because we both wanted to visit and see the Tomb of the Unknowns and the changing of the guard.

First let me say that those armed forces members that conducted the changing of the guard were magnificent. Absolute precision and I cannot put into words how it was to watch. Made the hair on my neck stand up.

While we were waiting we were watching the other tourists and could tell by accents that some were from France, German, etc etc.

When the Sergeant announced the change and asked everyone to be respectful and quite everyone was. I kind of expected maybe a foreigner not to be, not sure why but I did. There was a small child beginning to fuss and the mother immediatly went into the awards room to satisfy the Sergeant's request. I thought that was very respectful on the mother's part. Then there was a colored women walking up the the event yelling at her what appeared to be an 8 year old son. The security guard asked her politely to quiet down, not to mention the dozen signs around asking for people to be quiet.

The women continued and my wife and I turned around and I politely asked her to be quiet. She got even louder causing everyone to look at her. Only the trained guards ignored her.

I could not believe how disrespectful this women was toward this humbling event. After the event you could hear the foreign people talking about how rude this person was.

I am not sure if she was American but she spoke very good english and if she was an american, I was embarressed for the lack of respect this lady showed toward our fallen unknown heros.

What a shame this person was never taught anything and now her kids will probably be this way too.

My wife and I stayed and watched the second changing of the guard. If anyone plans to visit this event, I highly recommend it. It made the whole trip and I would fly back there again just to visit the cemetary again. What a great treasure the US has in this cemetary.

We did not get to see the whole thing because they had half of the cemetary blocked for Ted Kennedy service.

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We did not get to see the whole thing because they had half of the cemetery blocked for the Ted Kennedy service.

Thank you for putting that up, Earl. My dad has seen the changing, too. He says pretty much the same things you did. He told me the guards' gloves are wet to ensure a good grip on the rifle. Can you imagine how cold their hands get on wintry nights? Yet they are out there, 24 hours a day, every day that God brings up the sun. These young men are every bit soldiers as those in Iraq, Afghanistan and wherever we have our men. May God Bless them, every one...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote