Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need an FFL Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Here's the deal. I bought a rifle the other day online from an individual who is not a dealer. He lives in Iowa. I live in Missouri and I am not a dealer either. Is an FFL required for this transaction? My dealer that I use says no. The guy I'm buying from thinks we do need an FFL. Who's right?

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You did not mention what you purchased. Some rifles- antiques, uniques and others- do not require an ffl to receive the firearm. If the seller won't sell without an ffl you are kinda stuck either way.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a fully functional modern rifle.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
To be safe, you need a fully functional FFL holder.

Check the state regs too, some states have reqirements much stiffer than just the Federal regs. Some require the shipper to be an FFL holder too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last I knew you could buy in person a longgun from a dealer in a adjoining state. Whereas handguns would have to be shipped to a dealer in your home state. As soon as selling shipping any gun across state lines occurs a FFL needs to be involved.Unless state law says otherwise you can sell and ship longguns between residents of the same state no FFL involvement needed.

To save yourself any problems just find a dealer on your end that will accept from a non ffl. Seller does not need to do anything other than ship it to the dealer. If he does not want to do that it would be a red flag for me.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interstate transfer of a long gun requires an FFL on your end only.

If the gun is on the C&R list, and you have a C&R license, you can receive it directly (if local laws permit).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike7mm08:
Last I knew you could buy in person a longgun from a dealer in a adjoining state. Whereas handguns would have to be shipped to a dealer in your home state. As soon as selling shipping any gun across state lines occurs a FFL needs to be involved.Unless state law says otherwise you can sell and ship longguns between residents of the same state no FFL involvement needed.

To save yourself any problems just find a dealer on your end that will accept from a non ffl. Seller does not need to do anything other than ship it to the dealer. If he does not want to do that it would be a red flag for me.

I think that is generally correct.

Theoretically I can walk in and buy a long gun from WaMart in any state adjoining Texas that doesn't have a state law prohibting the transaction. Finding a WalMart or any other dealer willing to do so is another matter. And if it is shipped by any carrier to another state, if must be shipped to an FFL. Technically you could drive to the seller's place or he to yours and avoid the paperwork but the gas is several times the cost of shipping.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
I agree. Generally if it goes across state lines, it needs an ffl.

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drive up there and pick it up personally and you do not have to have any paperwork at all, if you are shipping etc etc then FFL is necessary.

Posts: 179 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
private-party sales are restricted to residents of the same state, I believe.

legally, an FFL is needed for this one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of correct, and more importantly, incorrect opinions in this thread.

For modern weapons:

1. If you buy from an individual in another state, you need an FFL to do the transfer. Period. No way out. I don't know what yor dealer is thinking, but I can't imagine a dealer making the statement he did, unless you are referring to a dealer on the sellers end.

2. If the seller in another state wants to use a dealer on his end too for safety, you will have to comply.

3. You can buy a long gun in person from any other state, actually, unless local law prohibits. This is allow for people to replace guns while on hunting trips etc. Some dealers may decline in some instances, but I have done it literally scores of times. Due to where I lived and the location of towns with decent dealers, I purchased every gun I bought for more than ten years in another state. At one time there was a requirement for a transfer dealer in your home state, but this rule was repealed years ago.

3. C&R guns are a different matter, and the rules are actually more complicated to some extent. Also, be very careful about what you assume is a C&R gun. Anything over 50 years is legal unless it is a military rifle. Is a custom rifle with a JC Higgins FN action made in the 50's C&R legal? Yes. Is a custom rifle built on a prewar VZ24 action C&R eligible? In general, no. Is a VZ 24 barreled action C&R eligible? Absolutely not. You have to be careful.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went round and round with some 65yo white woman at the PO that told me she knew everything there was to know about shipping a rifle via USPS. Alas, she was full of shit.
To ship a long gun to an individual in another state, it must be sent to a FFL holder so he can vet the buyer. To cover your ass, as the shipper, it would be wise to have the receiving FFL send you a copy of his FFL. The shipper does not need to be an FFL nor work through an FFL (like the old crone told me).
As a rule, you can buy a long gun from a dealer in an adjoining state since he is gonna fill out the yellow sheet on you.
I know within the state of TN, an FFL is not needed on either end.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went through the same situation...almost. I bought a pair of 1st Gen. Colts (consec. ser.#'s)at an estate auction.Had the old rubber grips;wanted ivory.Tried to ship to Hartford via UPS;hell no I was informed,because that's how terrorists get their guns.I swear that's what he said.Happy ending here is that if you remove the cylinder +/or slide assembly you may now ship regular mail as it is now not a functioning firearm (r/e-pistol or revolver).I am not a lawyer (my parents were married)but it has worked for me.

Posts: 4236 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norman, I really have to DISAGREE with you on the non functioning firearm statement. The BATF considers the frame of the weapon, that is serial numbered, to be the firearm. That is why you cannot order a new manufactured 1911 frame, for example, from a manufacturer and have it shipped to you directly if you don't have an FFL.
You may get away with it, but if discovered the best case scenario is that you will lose the firearm, the worst case is a stiff fine, possible jail time and a felony on your record.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote