Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nitrogen In Your Tires? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
My wife's Nissan Murano has nitrogen-filled tires. Yesterday the Tire Low Pressure Indicators came on. I'm just curious whether anyone is going to the trouble, and cost, to keep nitrogen in their tires. The reasoning behind using nitrogen sounds pretty lame, and since our Nissan is not entered in any Formula-1 or Indy style races, nor is it operating under load conditions similar to a 747, I'm sticking with air, which has a significant amount of nitrogen in it.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably not worth the trouble, cost, or the time. For NORMAL vehicles, the only significant reason is that air can have water vapor/water in it that MIGHT over time, corrode the wheel. Personally I would hope my car would last long enough to have that problem. None of mine ever have and I doubt will.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Costco will top them off with nitrogen...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Nitrogen, being an inert gas, expands less under heat.

Whether or not that means anything is to be debated. On a race car, maybe. On a commuter vehicle or a truck with 10" of suspension carrying 30psi? Ummm, Nope. You'll never know the difference.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
One more reason is because nitrogen molecules are larger and tires filled with N2 tend not to loose pressure as easily so performance, wear, handling tend to be more consistent and the tires last longer.
I did it for a while but found I wear tires out fast enough most of the time that it doesn't matter. I had a cylinder in my garage. My boys were also using it to charge paintball guns.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once seen in advertising auto service, among other services, "tire inflation by gas mixture with a nitrogen content of not less than 77%."
Coefficient of thermal expansion coefficient identical to nitrogen and oxygen. To the air it is paradoxically less, but the difference is small, the fourth digit after the decimal point.
So I don't know for what nitrogen in tires. I think it is so called "ponts".

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vashper:
Once seen in advertising auto service, among other services, "tire inflation by gas mixture with a nitrogen content of not less than 77%."

Normal Air is 78% Nitrogen. rotflmo

That's funny.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
The oxygen in the air (~20%)that a tyre has been inflated with eventually permeates or reacts with the rubber of the inside of the tyres carcass, leaving mainly nitrogen behind inside the tyre after a period of time anyway.
Expansion differences between nitrogen and air with temperature change is minimal.
The only real advantage of nitrogen inflation in car tyres that I can see is that it's likely that the nitrogen will be drier than normal compressed air, reducing corrosion of the rims, and that it will not react (oxidise) with the inside of the tyre itself, keeping the carcass more flexible and supple throughout its life.
I think the benefits vs cost would be marginal at best.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you're driving a BMW you'll need nitrogen from Germany. But seriously folks, I would use nitrogen for tires on a motorcycle that is habitually ridden way over the speed limit. I'd even wear a helmut.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW. Nitrogen is not inert.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
makes no noticeable difference.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have always thought it would be more stable in tires that heat in daytime and cool at night such as they do here in So. Az. where there is such a great day/night temperature spread. I also thought it might be of value in a spare which is rarely in real life checked. I have
no facts to back up this surmise just supposition.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
That's funny.

Robert, your avatar is popular. One my friend on autoforum Niva Chevrolet use it too:

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote