New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catastrophic Troubles in Texas Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted
I've met several friends from Texas on this forum over the years, and my heart goes out to those affected by this terrible storm. There seems to be no near-term end in sight to the rainfall which has already flooded huge expanses of southeastern Texas.

Heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this catastrophic storm and subsequent flooding.

Sincerely,
Your friends at The AR Forum

NRA Endowment Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 519 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting here watching the news from Houston and am struggling to hold back the tears as I watch. I have several friends there from when I worked there, and also friends there from AR. I hope and pray they are OK. I just wish I could help them.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1582 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
The few that I've met on here from Texas -- I've come to consider as FRIENDS. My thoughts and Prayers are with them all Frowner

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son and his wife live in Friendswood, a suburb of Houston, The have received about 26 inches of rain, most of that was the first night..He said it was the worst thing he ever lived though..and its still raining, fortunately the water only made it to his door step, and the water level went down during the day..They are house bound, but have plenty of food, electricity, and doing fine other than they can't go anywhere..They were the lucky ones. My grandson lives in a high rise in Houston and hes doing fine, but the main floor has a foot of water in it..Ive never seen nor heard of anything like this, a hurricane that hit land and stayed in one spot for about 5 days now, unprecedented in history..but other than torrential rain its moved over to La. but may go out into the gulf and return, another first..The gov. sent 60 boats and 20 helicopters to start with to move 12 million people, woW!, but are sending more as days progress, the wheels of justice are slow! but Texans being a proud people have flooded the area with their personal boats and high vehicles. flat bed 18 wheelers, and whatever is needed, and are moving people their people on a mass basis, God bless Texas. They are coming together from all over the state to the rescue..Its awesome and renews ones faith in mankind.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 40 miles south of Houston. Street has flooded twice and water on the porch both times. Still raining now at 2pm Monday. I can see shrimp and oyster boats from the back porch, can't stand much more. According to local news Houston is almost at a stand still.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Have a friend in Montrose in a 3 story condo that has moved everything to the 3rd floor.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still raining......a lot.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived there in the 70 s and suspect my place is up to second story, as I lived 100 yards from a bayou.
My niece works in a hospital there and has not left work since Thursday. She has power, food, water and a bed at the hospital.
What a tragedy that will impact 100,000s for the rest of their lives. Saw that less than 1/6 of homes there have flood insurance. Lots of bankruptcys coming.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We wish you all the best in this terrible time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66979 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in what is referred to as West Texas, San Angelo. They call Austin Texas, central Texas. Truth is, the exact center of Texas is only about 50 miles from San Angelo near Eden,Texas. Austin is 200 miles East of here. San Angelo is very dry and we always need more rain. We did get about 3 inches, but need lots more. It's a shame some of Houstons rain couldn't be diverted here. Biggest lake here is only about 15% capacity.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let' see.

Pearland and Friendswood Texas are communities about 20 miles south of the CBD of the City of Houston. They are located west and southwest of Interstate 45 on the portion of that IH-45 that runs between Houston and Galveston Texas.

Currently we are dry (but not high as I will not be consuming any adult beverages before dinner time.) and well provisioned. This morning was the first time I've ventured out in my auto since last Thursday. If one lives near a watershed, creek or bayou, you probably have water in your home.

I took these photos with my cell phone.

This first one is traveling toward IH45 along Dixie Farm road. This would be where Clear Creek runs under the bridge and drainage area at Dixie farm road. Typically, the actual creek usually runs about 20'below the bridge and has a span across the surface of +/- 20'. The actual creek runs some 1/4 mile from the point where I took the photo. This creek is probably 1/2 mile wide now and flowing.

These two photos are of the entrance to a residential subdivision named Green Tee Terrace and the home of Golf Crest Country Club, looking in a northeasterly direction along Country Club lane. This location is also along the meandering of Clear Creek some two mile west of the location of the previous photos. . A new residential subdivision has been developed in the last two years along both sides of the meandering of Clear Creek to the west of Green Tee Terrace,

From the point where I took the photo, the creek-bed is some 20’ below the road surface and approximately ¼ mile in the foreground. As far as I can see along Country Club it is inundated with water that is flowing at least 3’ deep over the bridge!

another view, Country club lane woud be to the immediate left!

and a picture taken from the second story window of my brother’s house in Friendswood Texas. He also lives adjacent to Clear Creek.

This was Saturday morning. He and his wife had gone upstairs the night before. They pretty much lost everthing . They were rescued by a guy with a boat and taken about a mile to Sunset Dr. He and his wife walked in the water about 1.5 miles to my mother's house that has not taken on water.

We’ve probably had 20” of rain since then.

Anywho, it’s a mess out there!

Ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not take this series of pix, but might give a bit of an idea!

Reminds me of the old song "What a difference a day makes!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I live in what is referred to as West Texas, San Angelo. They call Austin Texas, central Texas. Truth is, the exact center of Texas is only about 50 miles from San Angelo near Eden,Texas. Austin is 200 miles East of here. San Angelo is very dry and we always need more rain. We did get about 3 inches, but need lots more. It's a shame some of Houstons rain couldn't be diverted here. Biggest lake here is only about 15% capacity.

The problem many, including Texans don't understand, is that all of the water that falls as rain in Texas flows downhill.

The runoff from heavy rains we get in Young or Tom Green or Tarrant counties, etc. all end up at the coast, and the Gulf only holds so much water.

Just look at Houston, the Brazos/Trinity and San Jacinto rivers all empty into that Bay system.

That gets to be the bad part when the towns and counties in North and West Texas do finally get some rain, if we have very much runoff, it effects the coastal areas.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem many, including Texans don't understand, is that all of the water that falls as rain in Texas flows downhill.

Not really, quite a bit of it soaks down into the aquifers which are essentially under the surface of all of Texas.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, some does go into the Aquifers, but only so much does. I do not know if any major aquifers on the Trinity/BrazosColotado that can handle all of the water from heavy rains in north Texas or the Panhandle.

Even the recharge zones on the Guadalupe and Nueces can only absorb so much water.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats fine;we'll take all we can get.The aquifers bleed out quickly enough with all the developers here in central Tx. building + then moving on. They got their money now fxxk you folks that live here. This is a very thorny issue with me as you can tell.I'm out in the country + the issue of water is truly life or death.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
water is truly life or death.

It ain't just an issue living in the country because Texas west and north of the I-35 corridor continually has problems concerning having enough water.

It is one of the reasons a good portion of that part of the state has not grown in population, in fact continually decreases due to the lack of dependable water sources.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the beloved federal government may not have sent many boats, but I was sitting at the intersection of Chimney Rock and Westheimer in Houston this morning going to check on a friend's house and saw an endless parade of 4WD's pulling flat bottomed boats and one airboat, headed west on Westheimer. Private citizens stepping up.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drove down country club lane in early august to go pick up some fishing trophies from a buddy.

He was telling me about his aluminum Sabine fishing boat and how it could go through oyster beds if needed - now he is using to move around flooded Houston

Scary what Mother Nature bring.

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Let' see.

Pearland and Friendswood Texas are communities about 20 miles south of the CBD of the City of Houston. They are located west and southwest of Interstate 45 on the portion of that IH-45 that runs between Houston and Galveston Texas.

Currently we are dry (but not high as I will not be consuming any adult beverages before dinner time.) and well provisioned. This morning was the first time I've ventured out in my auto since last Thursday. If one lives near a watershed, creek or bayou, you probably have water in your home.

I took these photos with my cell phone.

This first one is traveling toward IH45 along Dixie Farm road. This would be where Clear Creek runs under the bridge and drainage area at Dixie farm road. Typically, the actual creek usually runs about 20'below the bridge and has a span across the surface of +/- 20'. The actual creek runs some 1/4 mile from the point where I took the photo. This creek is probably 1/2 mile wide now and flowing.

These two photos are of the entrance to a residential subdivision named Green Tee Terrace and the home of Golf Crest Country Club, looking in a northeasterly direction along Country Club lane. This location is also along the meandering of Clear Creek some two mile west of the location of the previous photos. . A new residential subdivision has been developed in the last two years along both sides of the meandering of Clear Creek to the west of Green Tee Terrace,

From the point where I took the photo, the creek-bed is some 20’ below the road surface and approximately ¼ mile in the foreground. As far as I can see along Country Club it is inundated with water that is flowing at least 3’ deep over the bridge!

another view, Country club lane woud be to the immediate left!

and a picture taken from the second story window of my brother’s house in Friendswood Texas. He also lives adjacent to Clear Creek.

This was Saturday morning. He and his wife had gone upstairs the night before. They pretty much lost everthing . They were rescued by a guy with a boat and taken about a mile to Sunset Dr. He and his wife walked in the water about 1.5 miles to my mother's house that has not taken on water.

We’ve probably had 20” of rain since then.

Anywho, it’s a mess out there!

Ya!

GWB

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone that has lived in the Houston area knows that floods aren't an unknown event. I lived in Friendswood/Houston in the 70s twice. Water would get within about a half a block from my house, and about 8' up in the swankier houses along the creek about a half mile away. Forget about the country clubs. The water would be within 12" of the club house roof. It doesn't take a hurricane to drowned Houston. I think the elevation of my home in Friendswood was about 6' above sea level. No one mentions Galveston. What happened there? My brother in Spring hasn't complained. I'm glad I'm where I'm at.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting reaction here in North Texas. Word spread about possible gasoline shortages. This afternoon long lines at gas stations in Dallas, Plano, Frisco and McKinney. I counted 76 cars at the COSTCO gas lines in Frisco at Eldorado and North Tollway. The line across the street at QT was three blocks long. You couldn't travel much in the outside lane around town near any gas station as lines to the pumps were into the street. I saw one accident at 75 and 380 caused by a lady running into the back of the waiting cars in the gas line.

Nothing like a good gas panic to create a self-induced emergency.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted it in a different discussion on the same topic, but even out in north Texas people are worried.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
That series of photos at the bridge shows a rise of more than 30 feet! shocker

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The news is relating about the "Cajun Navy" that has come from La. bringing their boats to help out. Also a caravan from central Tx. doing the same.By nature we are a generous people. Also the gas pump lines are severe;panic shopping.I filled my vehicles last Friday.Give it a rest + a few days+ things will be back to normal.The "word" on the street is that gas will go to $5.00 a gal. next week.Well the truth is that Gov. Abbott has said that he WILL prosecute any price gouging + as well he should;IMO he should open season on looters;when I hear of them being killed,my only response is "Good".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well the truth is that Gov. Abbott has said that he WILL prosecute any price gouging + as well he should

I often wonder about the hoorah about "price gouging." Isn't raising prices of a scarce commodity simple a capitalists answer to controlling distribution? I mean, if I've got a ground tank full of gas, and thousands of people want it, why should I not be able to raise my prices to control demand? What about the same situation, should I be able to refuse to sell at the "normal" price?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just throwing this out here as something to think about.

Reasonable increases on commodities are expected, it is when someone goes beyond reasonable.

Case in point, hotels/motels doubling or tripling their room rates. Report on one of our local stations in this area, concerned the news crew that was down in the affected area covering the event, going from $125.00 dollars a night to over $300.00 a night.

Bottled water going from less than a dollar a bottle to $3.00 or $4.00 a bottle!

There is not a problem with reasonable increases, it is when people step over that line, and when people are not effected by such practices they do not view things the same way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't figure why we haven't heard more about Corpus Cristi and Galveston. All the ink is about Houston and a little about Beaumont.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question. One report said that Rockport was hit really hard, haven't heard any reports on Port Aransas/Aransas Pass/Fulton/Corpus/Sinton or a lot of those places.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. Charly + Randle,# 1,I believe in capitalism;hell,I'm a business owner.We are in it to make a profit,but we are NOT in it to fxxk folks who are down on their luck.I'm not anyway.I will escalate my prices if my supplyers escalate theirs;I need to keep the same bottom line.I do not have to gouge the customer base;but I do need to sell product at new replacement value. Case in point,you know I'm in the metal business;well my supplier is in Houston at the ship channel. I have not got a new price yet (hell,their trucks are'nt running) but I will need to find out current pricing to price new jobs.So far I am using old data to a minimum degree.......so my subs don't take it in the shorts. Golden Rule folks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has there been much looting? Or is it the case of the news trying to burn some time in a 24 hour news show.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes there has been some,as always. However there have been shootings of the looters as well,which we all appreciate however the left press does not play this one up.Too bad;might stop some of that.