New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abilene, TX, area Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Considering relocating to Texas, and would prefer to be nearer the "dry side" and close to the Hill Country.
Great-granddad was the first postmaster of Buffalo Gap, and he and my GGmother were married there in 1881, and lived in Sweetwater along with Roby and Plemmons, north of Amarillo.
Great-great granddad, First Texas Mounted Rifle Volunteers veteran, is buried in Junction. I like the family connections.
Anyone have any thoughts on this part of the Lone Star State?
I know it is going to be more humid than here in south-central New Mexico -- and definitely in official tornado country. Wondering about the winters. Does this part of the state have a summer monsoon season like we do?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16415 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, you might want to check out Mason, Tx. Its about 1 1/2 hrs west of where I live but no real development out there yet so the land prices are still reasonable. My preacher buddy is the Methosist minister there + even though the church pays for his parsonage, he likes it so much he bought a place there for his retirement. Hes a hunter + shooter as well so fits right in + so would you. If you like I can P.M. you his phone # + perhaps ya'll can wok out more info.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill. P.M. sent.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I will definitely look at Mason. Thanks for the PM, bro! Cool

– John Green, author

Posts: 16415 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no no no! go to silver city like you were planning!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Abilene, Dyess AFB next door. Lots of retired military in the town and Patriotic. Not like the woke cities up in the North East.

When you are there, check out the Dixie Pig Diner. Hard to find parking when it is open though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I lived in Abilene for three years. My son was born there. It was a good place to raise kids. It was "dry" when I was there. If you wanted alcohol, you went to Buffalo Gap or Impact.

I was disappointed in Silver City. I thought about buying a retirement place there, but every Californian was moving in and prices were rapidly increasing. I used to hike, hunt and camp in the Gila as a teenager. When I was big into mule deer, I had in mind getting away from everyone and moving to Luna, Reserve or Datil. Life got in the way.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, when I said dry I certainly wasn’t referring to alcohol. I was thinking of rainfall, humidity and overall weather. I love the warm, bright days here and the single-digit afternoon humidities.
Reserve and Datil are nice and remote, but being an hour or two from a decent grocery store and medical care no longer appeals to me.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:

I was disappointed in Silver City. I thought about buying a retirement place there, but every Californian was moving in and prices were rapidly increasing.

Mucked up Californian's bring their liberal politics with them. They leave the Peoples Republic of California (PRC) because of the rules, regulations, taxes, and crimes, and bring that foolishness into the areas they move into. Stay away from Austin, it is over polluted with liberal transplants from the PRC.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Slam, shouldn’t that be “PRK”? hilbily

– John Green, author