Find
Notify
Tools

Dayummmm! Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
You Texans are a tough bunch!

This person kept going after getting bowled over by a tornado.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you see his truck?

Hell of a ride, came out of it WOKE UP
and got the hell out of there.

Bunch of vids on utube.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5945 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, we seem to be evenly divided by those with muy cajones or gross stupidity. I had a friend that drove his 80 year old mother from Califonia to San Angelo, Tx. in a 55 Biscayne with no steering wheel; only a pair of vise-grip pliers on the steering shaft. Yeah, they're still out there.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Well, we seem to be evenly divided by those with muy cajones or gross stupidity. I had a friend that drove his 80 year old mother from Califonia to San Angelo, Tx. in a 55 Biscayne with no steering wheel; only a pair of vise-grip pliers on the steering shaft. Yeah, they're still out there.

hey! i have driven a 60s CJ jeep like that IN the 60s cause some asshole stole the steering wheel and tow hitch ball when it was parked in a grocery store parking lot that had cases of beer on sale. coors. but, being probably a half mile from mexico that stuff happened all the time. you had to chain and lock the spare tire, the farmers jack etc or leave someone with a gun in the vehicle.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drove back from a rig near Sanderson in the early 80s. We heard there was a tornado in the area, moving northeast. On the way to Midland, around Rankin/McCamey, it was raining sideways so hard I had to pull off the highway and wait it out for a while. When I started driving again I came across a swath of telephone poles snapped off at about the 6' level and a few pumpjacks lying on their sides. You can't hardly knock over a pumpjack. I was wide awake from there until I got home.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, I remember when Coors 1st came to Texas in 1974. Roy Butler bought the Tx. dealership rights for 1 million. The closest we could find it was in Burnet + believe me there was a lot of traffic to buy it up. Going to the store once to buy a case + there was a bunch of guys who had bought up all the cases + filled their truck bed with ice + were off to one helluva party.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few months later I drove up to Wichita Falls (where I'm from) to visit my cousin + low + behold they were selling Coors there too. Who knows how many towns got included but Roy Butler had the money to make it happen. He was the past mayor of Austin but more importantly he was married to the heiress of Dole Pineapple. Hes dead now but all his property is going to made into sub-divs here. Big whooh. thumbdown