Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's Your Executor / Trustee Login/Join 
one of us
posted
My older brother has always been the family's executor-in-chief for all wills, for the last two generations anyway. He's also handled that chore for friends of his. He's getting up in years and says he's about done with those responsibilities. This got me thinking about where to turn. With a blended family, I'm leaning toward a bank, lawyer, tax accountant; in other words, some professional. I don't want a "Casey Kasem problem", or some type of a running gun battle after I'm gone. Any thoughts, or experience to share?

Posts: 13777 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you think about it, you're dead. Who cares? Set it up as you want it before hand and then they will deal with it. I have a trust set up for my wife/relatives when I die. They have to deal with it after that. If my wife dies before me, the NRA gets up to half of what I'm worth, If she outlives me they only get 100,000. She probably won't give them any more. I don't have any kids and all of hers have pretty well taken care of themselves. My brothers and sister are in good shape. Set up a trust and specify where you want the assetts/money to go and live the rest of your time content.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
When you think about it, you're dead. Who cares? Set it up as you want it before hand and then they will deal with it. I have a trust set up for my wife/relatives when I die. They have to deal with it after that. If my wife dies before me, the NRA gets up to half of what I'm worth, If she outlives me they only get 100,000. She probably won't give them any more. I don't have any kids and all of hers have pretty well taken care of themselves. My brothers and sister are in good shape. Set up a trust and specify where you want the assetts/money to go and live the rest of your time content.

Rick - knowing Wayne LaPierre be careful he does not put a hit out on you Cool I need to upgrade to life member for the NRA.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco, depends on how contentious you think things might get. If contentious then do NOT get a relative. If you have a trust and it is over, say, $0.5 Million then a bank might be a good idea. They are impartial and will execute the trust exactly as you say. Note the difference between an executor and trustee however. Executor is a one time thing. A Trustee will be active over a much longer period of time, especially with minors and a "health and welfare" type clause. Only you know the type of people you are dealing with. Just remember, when ever money is involved, people change!
Not an expert, but have gone through this myself. Even a friend might not want to be involved in tough family issues. Remember also, that it is reasonable to expect trustees to be reimbursed for their time and effort.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While certainly important, the executor is not nearly as important as a well written will which specifies EXACTLY your wishes and what will happen if someone tries to change them. For that reason alone, except for the most simple of circumstances, holographic wills simply invite problems. Get a damn good lawyer who understands estate law if you have a sizable estate and want it divided anyway but the norm.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote