THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Texans view on immigrants (immigration)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texans view on immigrants (immigration) Login/Join 
one of us
posted
quote:
A new poll released on Tuesday asked Texans for their thoughts on a variety of issues regarding immigration, with one of the more notable results revealing the majority of the Texans surveyed do not want a wall separating Texas and Mexico. The poll, conducted by the Texas Lyceum, found only 35 percent of respondents approved of a wall, while 61 percent disapproved. Likewise, 62 percent responded that immigration helps the U.S. more than it hurts. The pool was pretty much split on sanctuary policies, with 49 percent opposing them and 45 percent supporting them, but then an overwhelming 93 percent responded that local law enforcement should be able to look into a person’s immigration status when making an arrest. Judging by the survey’s results, Texans do seem pretty solidly in support of providing a legal path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, so long as they paid taxes and a penalty, passed a criminal background check, and learned English, with 63 percent strongly supporting such a pathway, 27 percent somewhat supporting it, and 9 percent opposing. The survey polled 1,000 Texans.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well,we will see how this pans out.#1 out of the box is finding white boys who are willing to work.Sorry,but that's the truth.Had a roofing customer come by today to pick up some scuppers + conducter heads that I had built for him +he voiced his opinion that without the weys he could not get the work done.Now that is getting it down to brass tacks.It's asll well + good to complain about the wets when you have no dog in the fight. Besides,we all know that this a money issue.My daughter in law married my son several years ago after meeting in college, She is from Mexico City. She pays thousands of dollars each year + still no green card. This because she is playing the rules legally.What a shame;one is penalized by playing by the rules while the tramps are exempted. A lot of things would change if I were King.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Well,we will see how this pans out.#1 out of the box is finding white boys who are willing to work.Sorry,but that's the truth.Had a roofing customer come by today to pick up some scuppers + conducter heads that I had built for him +he voiced his opinion that without the weys he could not get the work done.Now that is getting it down to brass tacks.It's asll well + good to complain about the wets when you have no dog in the fight. Besides,we all know that this a money issue.My daughter in law married my son several years ago after meeting in college, She is from Mexico City. She pays thousands of dollars each year + still no green card. This because she is playing the rules legally.What a shame;one is penalized by playing by the rules while the tramps are exempted. A lot of things would change if I were King.

You make a number of good points. Of course, there were and can be Americans willing to work, they simply don't work as hard, as fast, or as cheap as Mexican laborers. That's why almost all the road workers, various construction crews (framing, dry wall, etc etc) have shifted from American employees to Mexicans, legal or illegal in the last 25 years or so. Want all American labor? Things, such as housing, will cost more.

Unlike many (most) of the rabid "send 'em all back, damn the costs and consequences", I have come to realize there has to be some kind of rational, humane compromise position. Such as, and this is just a sketchy idea, they've been here for 5 years, give them a green card, with some long term path to citizen ship. Less than 5 years, give them a worker's card with an even longer path to citizenship. They wanta go home, as many of them do, give them a seasonal pass, or yearly pass. They pay taxes, etc. Hell, give the "dreamers" a shorter path as well, but only for those who are not on the dole and not convicted of anything worse than speeding type offenses.

Finally, I feel your pain dealing with La Migra. Your DIL needs a better lawyer. She is getting screwed. We paid one a few thousand and it greased the process. After standing in line one time for hours to get my wife's process started and then being told, "oops, sorry wrong line". I said immediately, "Fuck this, we're getting a lawyer". This was in Houston, he was really good, but this was nearly 25 years ago. If you'd like, I might be able to find his name/number. Even if he isn't practicing anymore, he'll know someone. Really, subject to not knowing more than you've said about the process, CHANGE lawyers, and if she doesn't have one, get one.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What always bugged me was, we only want them when we want them. During WWII the Bracero program

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracero_program

was running wide open in the lower valley, California, and southern New Mexico / Arizona. They worked hard, raised families (babies born here were Americans), the war ended, and we told them to pack their sh!t and go "home" you bunch of f*cking wetbacks.

Right now construction, landscaping, etc. are majority Hispanics in my area. "Now Hiring" signs are in nearly every fast food restaurant, Home Depot, Walmart, grocery store, but Gringos sit around bitching about how there aren't any jobs. We are enormously proud, but unwilling to accept a job that we think is beneath us. It is like we sit around whining because people aren't ringing our number offering us a VP job.

I have friends and relatives that got green cards, but then never pushed for citizenship. Trump's election put the fear of God in them.

I've dealt with Immigration on a personal level every year since 1994, and it ain't over yet. Others I know make up an "alternative facts backstory" and slip through the cracks. We haven't chosen to do that. It is frustrating but my family takes some pride in that.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
About those jobs that Americans won't do. Why should they work when they can live "free"? For example, Hawaii pays those who qualify more than $60K in benefits. Want to get Americans back to work? Cut out all the entitlement programs except for people in extreme circumstances. Funny how many will go back to work when they and their family go hungry. Entitlement programs have killed ambition and destroyed the nuclear family, particularly in the black community.

I respectfully disagree about the paths to citizenship for those who have come illegally. Reagan gave then amnesty. How did that worked out for us? Making it easier for illegals to become citizens doesn't act as a deterent for future illegal immigration.

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brush_buster:
About those jobs that Americans won't do. Why should they work when they can live "free"? For example, Hawaii pays those who qualify more than $60K in benefits. Want to get Americans back to work? Cut out all the entitlement programs except for people in extreme circumstances. Funny how many will go back to work when they and their family go hungry. Entitlement programs have killed ambition and destroyed the nuclear family, particularly in the black community.

I respectfully disagree about the paths to citizenship for those who have come illegally. Reagan gave then amnesty. How did that worked out for us? Making it easier for illegals to become citizens doesn't act as a deterent for future illegal immigration.

Fully agree on cutting all welfare but the reality is the majority of us welfare payments/welfare state is aimed at 65 and older Americans.

For American out of the labor force - they are just (1) unskilled or have outdated human capital (2) arrogant/lazy and think they are entitled for jobs their human capital cannot support.

Cutting all benefits may get some in category 2 to work. But the jobs need to be there for their skill ability. Can't turn a 40-60 middle age person into hard manual labor work often done by illegal immigrants.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhat dated, but the percentages certainly have not gone down: (note: graphs would not copy)

quote:
7 Facts About Government Benefits and Who Gets Them

DEREK THOMPSON DEC 18, 2012

Six in seven households have received some sort of government benefit, according to a new survey from Pew Research Center. Here are some highlights from the report, plus some extra bits of context. These graphs focus on government spending, as opposed to tax benefits -- such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the lower rate on investment income -- which can also be considered forms of "government assistance," since a dollar not taxed can perform a similar role to a dollar spent.

1. The big picture is bigger than 'the 47%.' Fully 55% of all Americans -- including a majority of those self-identifying as Democrats, Republicans, liberals, moderates, and conservatives -- have received benefits from one of these six federal programs: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, welfare (TANF), unemployment benefits, and food stamps (SNAP).

2. ... Actually, it's more than the 70%. If you broaden to households rather than individuals: "71% of adults are part of a household that has benefited" from at least one of those six programs.

3. In fact, it's the 86%. After you add veteran benefits and college assistance, 70% of individuals -- and 86% of households -- receive a government benefit of some kind. Put differently, one in seven households doesn't receive assistance from the federal government.

5. Not just for the old. Most benefits are spent on the elderly, through Social Security and Medicare, and nearly every household with an adult over 65 receives federal benefits of some kind. But perhaps the most common benefit available -- unemployment benefits -- can help Americans as young as teenagers. From the report: "The use of entitlement begins at an early age for many Americans, the survey finds. A third (33%) of all adults ages 18 to 29 say they have received at least one major entitlement payment or service in their lives."

6. Food Stamps are bigger than you think. You might not guess it from the relative attention paid to each program, but there are nearly as many people on Food Stamps (SNAP) as there are on Medicare.

7. But nothing's bigger than Social Security ... for now. Although Medicare and Medicaid are projected to grow faster than Social Security in the next ten (and, especially, twenty) years, SS is still the biggest benefit program from the federal government.

4. The demographic breakdown. Federal assistance is more likely to go to women than men (61% vs. 49%); to blacks than whites or Hispanics (64% vs. 56% vs. 50%); and to rural residents than urban or suburban (62% vs. 54% vs. 53%).

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Somewhat dated, but the percentages certainly have not gone down: (note: graphs would not copy)

quote:

Six in seven households have received some sort of government benefit, according to a new survey from Pew Research Center. Here are some highlights from the report, plus some extra bits of context. These graphs focus on government spending, as opposed to tax benefits -- such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the lower rate on investment income -- which can also be considered forms of "government assistance," since a dollar not taxed can perform a similar role to a dollar spent.

1. The big picture is bigger than 'the 47%.' Fully 55% of all Americans -- including a majority of those self-identifying as Democrats, Republicans, liberals, moderates, and conservatives -- have received benefits from one of these six federal programs: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, welfare (TANF), unemployment benefits, and food stamps (SNAP).

2. ... Actually, it's more than the 70%. If you broaden to households rather than individuals: "71% of adults are part of a household that has benefited" from at least one of those six programs.

3. In fact, it's the 86%. After you add veteran benefits and college assistance, 70% of individuals -- and 86% of households -- receive a government benefit of some kind. Put differently, one in seven households doesn't receive assistance from the federal government.

5. Not just for the old. Most benefits are spent on the elderly, through Social Security and Medicare, and nearly every household with an adult over 65 receives federal benefits of some kind. But perhaps the most common benefit available -- unemployment benefits -- can help Americans as young as teenagers. From the report: "The use of entitlement begins at an early age for many Americans, the survey finds. A third (33%) of all adults ages 18 to 29 say they have received at least one major entitlement payment or service in their lives."

6. Food Stamps are bigger than you think. You might not guess it from the relative attention paid to each program, but there are nearly as many people on Food Stamps (SNAP) as there are on Medicare.

7. But nothing's bigger than Social Security ... for now. Although Medicare and Medicaid are projected to grow faster than Social Security in the next ten (and, especially, twenty) years, SS is still the biggest benefit program from the federal government.

4. The demographic breakdown. Federal assistance is more likely to go to women than men (61% vs. 49%); to blacks than whites or Hispanics (64% vs. 56% vs. 50%); and to rural residents than urban or suburban (62% vs. 54% vs. 53%).

Very informative

Also there is no real market for health insurance beyond 65 outside of Medicare. Everything private builds on Medicare. Also why you see very few non citizens and us residents moving to us to retire.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
I think you misunderstood my post or perhaps I didn't explain very well.

I'm not against all of the federal programs meant to help people who are definitely in need. However, there need to be limits, work requirements, accountability, and oversight. Our "entitlement" programs are full of fraud and waste which cost tax payers tens of billions of dollars annually. Welfare, food stamps, etc. regulations destroy the family unit, ambition, etc.

The following article lays out many of the problems associated with the entitlement programs. Many of these programs represent nothing more than institutional slavery and keep the dependent on the government plantation.

BTW I don't consider programs I pay into to be entitlement programs like SS, Medicare, etc.

http://www.discoverthenetworks...Category.asp?id=1672

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not against all of the federal programs meant to help people who are definitely in need. However, there need to be limits, work requirements, accountability, and oversight. Our "entitlement" programs are full of fraud and waste which cost tax payers tens of billions of dollars annually. Welfare, food stamps, etc. regulations destroy the family unit, ambition, etc.

The following article lays out many of the problems associated with the entitlement programs. Many of these programs represent nothing more than institutional slavery and keep the dependent on the government plantation.

BTW I don't consider programs I pay into to be entitlement programs like SS, Medicare, etc.

When the payout on the social security and Medicare is greater than the pay in and the type of financial instruments (government long bonds) it is an entitlement program - it is welfare.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

When the payout on the social security and Medicare is greater than the pay in and the type of financial instruments (government long bonds) it is an entitlement program - it is welfare.

Mike

Your description pretty well describes most retirement programs.

One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Back to the immigration question. Please tell me how making it easier for illegals to become citizens is a deterent to illegal immigration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Try getting the same outcome in social security or medicare in a private retirement accout. Only way social security and medicare works is increasing the population base via immigration.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Try getting the same outcome in social security or medicare in a private retirement accout. Only way social security and medicare works is increasing the population base via immigration.

Mike

We already allow more than 1M legal immigrants annually.

Most of us had company matching retirement plans. Hmmm I have already recieved more than 1/2M more than I put into my plan and it will pay my wife the full monthly amount after my death for the rest of her life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike

We already allow more than 1M legal immigrants annually.

Most of us had company matching retirement plans. Hmmm I have already recieved more than 1/2M more than I put into my plan and it will pay my wife the full monthly amount after my death for the rest of her life.

There is no free lunch. You got more because your company matched. It is delusion to believe that social security or medicare pays more because of some fiction match.

These are massive risk sharing agreements based on population growth.

You also got lucky your company did not go bankrupt. Every airlines pension plan went thru one chapter 11 where pensions became unsecured claims.

The idea of private savings plan is very appealing as long as government does not have to backed financial assets the equity market. Why us government has preferred risk Shari g mechanism based on holding us government bonds - the issue is politically welfare recipients vote and politicians give old people much more than they put in. Only way the Ponza scheme works is population growth.

http://blog.scrivener.net/2005...ecurity-by-paul.html

Much easier to increase population than increase growth - very tough to grow us economy at 5 percent.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly not the only one with that type of retirement plan.

You want to bitch for the sake of bitching. Thanks for the discussion. I'm out of here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm certainly not the only one with that type of retirement plan.

You want to bitch for the sake of bitching. Thanks for the discussion. I'm out of here.

Well, that's good, because he wasn't bitching, you maroon. He was making very cogent economic observations. Geesh.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
And you can shove it up your ass. You never could find an answer how making it easier for illegals to become citizens was a deterent to illegal immigration.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Because it was obvious, and even more so now that you can't think for yourself. Besides that, you just made yourself into a liar. "I'm out of here."

Oh wait, I forgot, you can't think, so how could you remember what you just said?

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
And, since I hope you're gone, the answer to the path to legalization, is just what Reagan had in mind, but the Congress, as usual, fucked up. Make the path reaasonable but not easy. Have to have a clean record, etc. Then, require all businesses to use E verify, with VERY stiff penalties, like serious jail time if they hire someone without papers and everified. Now go fuck off if you're still reading.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
Why don't you brag some more about all your ranches you egomaniac. Your mouth overloads your fat ass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Liar is back AGAIN and still full of shit with no brains to back it up. He needs to stick in the PF, they deserve each other.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
Met you in a FTF deal and all you talked about was your investments, gold, ranches, etc.

Egomaniac first class.

BTW why did you jump in with the personal attacks when I wasn't even talking to you? Never mind. It's a common trait of those who feel they are important and have an inflated ego.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is this guy? On beyond rude.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
more with the human side.....

quote:
Houston Press

What Would Houston Look Like if All the Undocumented Immigrants Left?

TUESDAY, APRIL 25, 2017 AT 5 A.M. BY MEAGAN FLYNN

In the nine months that Miguel Garcia’s wife carried his unborn son, Miguel spent most of his time away from her, traveling through deserts.

He was trying to find his way back. In December 2015, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents had shown up on his doorstep, deportation order in hand, and sent him back to Honduras. His wife, Andrea, was eight weeks pregnant, left to care for their three other daughters alone. (At the couple’s request, their names have been changed for this story.)

The first time he tried to return, in March 2016, Border Patrol apprehended him while he was crossing the Rio Grande. He was deported again. The second time, in early June, he caught a ride in the back of a trailer truck with more than 100 others, crossing from Guatemala all the way up through Mexico, over the border and up to Houston. Armed cartel members stopped the truck on its way, asking for $10,000 from each person before they could proceed on the journey through Mexico. Depleting his life savings, he made it home just a month before his baby son was born, in July.

But the relief didn’t last long. At three weeks old, the baby needed gastrointestinal surgery — he could not digest any food. Two days after they brought him back home from the hospital, on August 11, Andrea was with the baby in their bedroom when Miguel called out from the front yard, Amor! She thought he was leaving for work. Carrying their son — still with the scars on his stomach — Andrea opened the front door to find her husband in handcuffs and an ICE agent pointing a gun at the family dog.

“My husband told them, you don’t know how hard for me to come back over here and see my son born,” Andrea said, speaking in her second language. “The lady told him she want to help him, but we don’t believe her.”

ICE did help Miguel, with a work permit and an order of supervision “for humanitarian reasons,” the agents wrote on the order. That didn’t last long, either: Two weeks after Donald Trump signed a pair of immigration executive orders on January 25, it was revoked. He was ordered deported on February 23.
s
Miguel Garcia was one of an estimated 407,000 undocumented immigrants living in Houston. He was one of the thousands of undocumented construction workers encompassing an estimated one quarter of the state’s construction workforce. And he was a taxpayer: property taxes, payroll taxes, sales and utilities taxes — contributing to the billions that undocumented immigrants pay into the local, state and federal tax base every year.

Yet, leading up to the election of Donald Trump, debate over people like Garcia who entered the country illegally has rarely wavered from the topic of enforcement and deportation: Who should stay, who should go. The question of what happens next — what happens to the economy, say, if Trump were to seek to deport even half of the 11 million undocumented immigrants, or what happens to Houston’s infrastructure if even an eighth of all undocumented immigrants were to disappear — has remained more of an afterthought. The economic impact of a mass deportation effort has instead been shrouded in political rhetoric based not on disciplined research but on popular belief: that the illegals are stealing our jobs; that the illegals don’t pay taxes.

Those who have devoted their careers to immigration law and reform, however, are asking this: How would simply ousting them from our communities affect not just their families but everyone’s?

“I don’t want to fail to appreciate the humanitarian disaster of children and spouses losing the breadwinner and father figure,” said longtime immigration attorney Charles Foster, who has advised Presidents George W. Bush, Barack Obama and presidential candidates Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton on immigration policy. “But from an economic standpoint, the costs would be devastating. The average American Joe just doesn’t think of that stuff: Illegal, must go — it’s that simplistic.”

Miguel Garcia is now living with his sister in the rural town of Guaimaca, in the heart of Honduras. He can’t come back to the United States for 20 years, the punishment for entering illegally more than once. While many may say he should have known the consequences for flouting the legal immigration system, experts like Miguel’s attorney, Raed Gonzalez, and Foster see it differently.

For a construction worker like Miguel Garcia, they say, there was virtually no legal system to begin with.

Since 2000 immigration attorney Charles Foster has advised Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama and presidential candidates Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton on immigration policy on the campaign trail.
Since 2000 immigration attorney Charles Foster has advised Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama and presidential candidates Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton on immigration policy on the campaign trail.

When Charles Foster was growing up in McAllen, Texas, in the 1950s, the borders were as open as they’d ever been.

As a teenager he worked in the Valley on oil and gas pipelines and loaded Coke trucks with undocumented immigrants, who often walked back over the border at the end of the workweek. Their idea back then of illegal immigration, he said, was waiting to cross the bridge until the immigration inspector wasn’t looking. It wasn’t dangerous. It did not cost thousands of dollars. Coyotes were nothing more than local entrepreneurs who knew their way around town. “People say the border is wide open today — that’s totally foolish,” said Foster.

Everything began to change, though, after the 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act, the basis of today’s immigration policies — and perhaps the original instigator of the influx in illegal immigration on the southern border.
The law’s greatest legacy has been its reversal of the discriminatory national-origins quota system of 1924. The earlier law had accounted for the mass immigration of central Europeans while effectively barring Asians and Africans and limiting entry from Eastern Europe, where Jews and Italian and Polish Catholics were concentrated.

Shedding its racism, the new immigration quota system in 1965 instead made 20,000 green cards available to every country in the world each year, prioritizing family members and high-skilled, well-educated workers.
Yet this was also the first time a quota had ever been imposed on Latin America, or anywhere in the Western Hemisphere. And at the same time, while demand for low-skilled labor and migrant workers remained high, the workers’ program that allowed hundreds of thousands of Mexicans to come legally and temporarily every year — the Bracero Program — was dismantled.

According to data from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, while temporary bracero workers from Mexico fell from about 450,000 per year in 1958 to zero after 1968, yearly illegal border crossers from Mexico increased from fewer than 25,000 in 1958 to an estimated 450,000 by 1978.

“Our policies, in a way, encouraged illegal immigration,” Foster said, “because at a time the American economy was growing, we cut off just about every avenue for [lower-skilled workers] to come in legally.”

To account for the increase in illegal border crossings, Congress again attempted to tackle immigration reform in 1986, ramping up enforcement efforts and devoting more resources to securing the Mexican border. (And also granting amnesty to approximately 2.7 million people.) But Foster — who had represented Texas’s immigration task force before Congress and President Ronald Reagan during the reform talks in ’86 — said the enforcement crackdown in ensuing years had an unintended consequence.

From 1986 to the present, the total population of undocumented immigrants has more than doubled, from five million then to roughly 11 million now. “Ironically, the more and more we increased enforcement, the more and more likely people were to stay here and smuggle in their family, rather than maintain circular immigration: working and going back, working and going back,” he said.

Thanks to the high-stakes nature of crossing the border, cartels and organized crime ruled the region, extorting thousands from those seeking a life in America in exchange for help from a coyote. For Foster, sneaking past the sleepy immigration inspector at the bridge became a joke of the past.

Today there is virtually no avenue for permanent legal residency in the United States unless you have a family member here or you are highly specialized and college-educated: a doctor, a software engineer, an architect. These high-skilled workers can also come temporarily through the H1-B visa.

For all other low-skilled workers, there are only 66,000 agricultural temporary work visas and 66,000 non-agricultural temporary work visas available for the whole world each year. For the non-agriculture work visa, the jobs can only be seasonal or one-time gigs. To even get one of these visas, a poor guy in a crime-stricken third-world village seeking a better life can’t simply file an application. An employer has to sponsor his application, meaning, often, the employer must go to his village to recruit workers to come pick tomatoes, for example, or plant Christmas trees, or work at the Mar-a-Lago resort during peak season.

There is no visa for a long-term construction worker like Miguel Garcia.

“It’s why this mindless debate is so frustrating,” Foster said. “When President Donald Trump says, ‘We’re going to deport everyone and then they should get in line,’ that’s nonsense. There is no rational recognition of how, really, there is no line.”

Zenobia Lai, legal director of the St. Frances Cabrini Center for Immigrant Legal Assistance at Houston’s Catholic Charities, said that the line did in fact exist at one time — at least to a certain extent. Before 1996, if a person crossed the border illegally and met a U.S. citizen who became the love of her life, she could get in line to apply for a green card once they were married. But Congress always viewed these marriages as suspect, Lai said, and believed immigrants were only tying the knot in order to become legal. So in 1996, President Bill Clinton signed a new law intended to protect against those sneaky immigrants, a law that essentially destroyed any remaining incentive undocumented immigrants had to seek legal status, Lai said.

Under the 1996 reform, as a punishment for entering illegally, people who wanted to fix their immigration status would have to go back to their home country for ten years before they would be eligible to apply to return.
If the person could prove that his absence would have a detrimental effect on his family, then he might be able to lift the ten-year bar through what’s called a provisional waiver — but the standards are high, Lai said. And besides, to apply for the waiver, he still had to go back to his home country and await immigration officials’ decisions from abroad. If they ultimately decided the answer was no, he would be trapped in his home country, separated from his family, for the next decade.

“A lot of our clients who are from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, they fled extreme violence. They have to be very hesitant to think about, should I risk my life to go back there to apply for my immigrant visa?” Lai said. “All of this is a gamble. It’s a maze and you may not get out.”

Zenobia Lai says that Americans and undocumented immigrants compete for different jobs, with immigrants “filling in the gaps.” Is bussing tables one of them?
Zenobia Lai says that Americans and undocumented immigrants compete for different jobs, with immigrants “filling in the gaps.” Is bussing tables one of them?

With her husband back in Honduras, Andrea went back to the cleaners, bagging laundry behind the counter for 12 hours a day, six days a week, minimum wage.

Save for the several months Miguel came back to relieve her, Andrea spent the majority of the daylight hours over the past eight years in this storefront, looking out through barred windows into a strip mall parking lot. It’s where she learned English, she said, and where she made friends — with the regular customers, that is. Andrea works alone, occasionally jumping rope in the back room to occupy the long hours.

One day in April, though, all four children came with her because the nanny was sick. The baby, healthy now, slept in a hammock hung between two clothing racks, finally quiet. The older girls worked on homework. Passing the time, Andrea scrolled through photographs on her cellphone of her and her husband, of the home they built together and of the homes they came from.

Andrea’s kids never believe her when she talks about growing up in a small village in Hidalgo, Mexico: how she never ate a hamburger at a restaurant until she was 17; how she never had a bike, a doll. Andrea clicked on the photo of her home in Mexico that her cousin sent her last year, while visiting the tiny, tin-roof structure where she spent her childhood in the mountains, often bringing home fish from the nearby river to cook for dinner.
“I tell [my kids], over here you can do anything,” Andrea said. “There, we had nothing.”

Growing up, having few toys was the least of Andrea’s worries. When she was four, her father, a member of Mexico’s most established political party, Partido Revolucionario Institucional, was murdered by a member of an opposing party. When she was nine, her older brother was murdered for the same reason. It was then that Andrea’s family — her mother and one other brother — began thinking about fleeing Mexico for the United States. When they finally came up with the money, they left when Andrea was a teenager, while Andrea moved in with her uncle in the city of Pachuca to finish her education. At 19, in 2002, she made the journey across the desert on foot, ultimately reuniting with her family in Houston.

Her first job was at a food stand, selling corn and sno-cones for 12 hours a day, six days a week, $100 a week. She met Miguel when she got a new job at the Dollar Store: Every time he came in, he would ask Andrea for a price check on everything he wanted to buy — just so he had an excuse to talk to her. They got married in 2003, moved into a trailer home together and started a family.

In 2011 the couple visited an immigration attorney to see if there were any options for them to become legal residents. In reality, there were none: Once a person sets foot in the country without papers, he is immediately subject to the ten-year bar. But Andrea said the attorney advised that Miguel apply for asylum — something his most recent immigration attorney, Raed Gonzalez, says may be a sign of fraud.

Gonzalez said it should have been plainly obvious to the attorney that Miguel did not qualify for asylum. Although he came from an impoverished village, that’s never enough, Gonzalez said — Miguel needed to have a credible fear for his life. After paying this attorney to help with the asylum paperwork, sure enough, his application was denied in March 2013. Miguel signed a voluntary order of deportation, promising to return to Honduras.
Instead, with their third daughter on the way, they stayed.

The home Andrea grew up in, in Hidalgo, Mexico, right near a river where Andrea often went fishing for dinner.

The couple moved out of the trailer and bought their first home — a dream they’d had since coming to America. They renovated the entire house themselves, often working until midnight or 1 a.m. on Sundays, their only day off work. With help from Andrea, Miguel built the bed frames, the kitchen table, the kitchen cabinets and a sophisticated treehouse in the backyard for the kids, using the unwanted wood left at his construction sites. Every day when he came home from work, the girls would race to see who could hug him first.

“Everything we did, we did thinking we would have it for many years,” Andrea said. “We built everything together.” Andrea said she doesn’t know how ICE found out where they had moved, or how, when Miguel returned the final time for his son’s birth, agents found out so quickly that he was back.

Gonzalez filed a stay of removal to block his deportation three days after Miguel was detained, which happened during his regular three-month supervision check-in with ICE. Miguel had just gotten a driver’s license. Miguel was no saint, and had a misdemeanor criminal record spanning from 2003 to 2008, including charges for racing on a highway, interfering with the duties of a public servant and assault. But given that he was the sole breadwinner at the time, Gonzalez thought he had a solid chance to stay with his family.

And for a brief two hours on February 23, the Garcia family thought he would too: ICE’s Houston field office mistakenly sent a letter to Gonzalez saying the stay of removal had been approved. Yet two hours later, Gonzalez received another letter: The stay was denied. For the third time in a year, Miguel would be deported. (Houston-based ICE spokesman Gregory Palmore said Miguel’s criminal record was not tied to the denial, but did not elaborate.)

Andrea’s oldest daughter, age 13, tried to make the case for her dad’s release herself, writing a two-page letter to ICE agents on lined notebook paper. She had hoped the agents could relay some messages to her dad.
“I recently took the algebra test and got a 95% and trust me it was really hard. I was ready to show him and my mom, but I couldn’t because then the sad news came in,” she wrote. “...If he’s there with you, tell him that I love him with all of my heart.”

She never mailed it, realizing she was too late.

During the presidential debate in Houston last February, Donald Trump, saying illegal immigrants would have to “get in line with other people,” added some details to his original plan to deport all 11 million of them.

He said he would rely not only on an enforcement crackdown, but also on the belief that some undocumented immigrants would “self-deport.” “People are going to leave as soon as they see others going out,” he said, despite calling this very phenomenon “maniacal” and “crazy” when Mitt Romney suggested it during the 2012 presidential campaign.

Now, of course, Trump’s stance has narrowed to notoriously target “bad hombres” — which Foster jokes has become a new, largely undefinable legal term. Is it murderers and rapists? Is it someone with multiple past misdemeanors, like Miguel? Or how about a 23-year-old man who had attained temporary legal status under Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, who had one prior conviction for shoplifting and three for driving without a license? The man, Juan Manuel Montes of California, sued the Trump administration last week, demanding an explanation for his deportation.

To attorneys, the case has clearly illustrated that Trump’s executive order is a no-holds-barred deportation guide—that bad hombre is whatever ICE deems it to mean.

“Under this executive order, ICE will not exempt classes or categories of removal aliens from potential enforcement,” ICE wrote in its summary of the order. “All of those present in violation of the immigration laws may be subject to immigration arrest, detention, and…removal from the United States.”

People with criminal records are high up on the list, but the order also subjects people with entirely clean criminal histories to expedited deportations if immigration officials have ever issued a deportation order for them before. This includes people like Gerardo Martinez, who was deported one week after being pulled over in Dickinson, Texas, for a broken taillight and arrested for driving on an expired license. Because he had once been apprehended at the border while returning from Mexico to visit family 13 years ago, he did not even get to see a judge this time.

Miguel with his baby son, who was named after him. Miguel doesn’t appear on his birth certificate, however, out of the couple’s fear that the hospital would contact ICE.
Miguel with his baby son, who was named after him. Miguel doesn’t appear on his birth certificate, however, out of the couple’s fear that the hospital would contact ICE.
Courtesy of the family
Expedited deportations also apply to people like Jose Escobar, whose deportation order was entered in default because he missed a court date in 2006 — the year his temporary protected status expired. He had overlooked the deadline to reapply, and his attorney did not inform him he was still eligible. Although ICE ultimately gave him an order of supervision and a work permit in 2011 so he could provide for his U.S.-citizen family in Houston, the work permit was also revoked once Trump took office. Escobar never saw a judge either.

Still, Foster says there has been a slight overreaction to the new executive orders given the sole fact that ICE’s financial resources and number of agents have not changed—at least not yet. To deport a single person costs taxpayers between $10,800 and $12,500 (which includes detention costs), according to estimates from ICE over the past several years. That means deporting just all undocumented immigrants in Texas alone — an estimated 1.5 million — could cost between $16 billion and $18.7 billion.

But say the massive financial resources existed, that Congress allotted them: What would happen to the Texas economy if a large chunk of its undocumented workers disappeared? What would a city, a state, without undocumented immigrants look like?

“It would make the Great Recession of 2008 look like a minor blip,” Foster says.

It’s been common knowledge for decades that undocumented immigrants are rampant in the workforce: building Houston’s bougie luxury townhouses, its sprawling skyscrapers, its underground sewage systems. Cleaning its hotels and its pools, its homes and its office buildings. In Texas undocumented immigrants make up roughly one quarter of the construction workforce, a fifth of the agriculture workforce, and 15 percent of the leisure and hospitality industry, according to a study by the Texas Public Policy Foundation.

To many Americans, this is a problem. To economists, how politicians plan to fix it — by cracking down hard — is a much bigger one.

The foundation of the research rests on this basic principle: If you remove thousands of people from a workforce and a consumer marketplace, then there’s less money to go around for everyone — both to be spent on goods and services and to be paid in taxes. Right-wing politicians often focus on how much undocumented immigrants cost communities every year. This is true, but it doesn’t take into account how much the immigrants benefit economies too.

Dr. Ray Perryman, CEO of the Waco-based economic analysis firm The Perryman Group — who was nominated for a Nobel Prize in economic sciences in 2005 for his development of a model used in the following study — set out to measure the economic impact undocumented immigrants have on Texas in his 2016 report, “Texas Needs the Workers.”

Perryman’s economic model estimated that undocumented immigrants cost federal, state and local Texas governments approximately $12.8 billion a year in areas such as uncompensated medical care, education and health care for their children, and various government services like those provided by first responders.

But the study also estimated that undocumented immigrants in Texas pay approximately $6.7 billion in state and local taxes and state fees each year and $6.8 billion in federal taxes. (For comparison’s sake, an additional study by University of California professor Raul Hinojosa-Ojeda, using a separate but similarly complex economic model, also reported that undocumented immigrants pay about $6.9 billion in personal state taxes and sales tax in Texas.) Perryman’s model then considers the economic ripple effect of undocumented people’s spending money in the marketplace, at grocery stores and car shops, at local businesses and restaurants.

Take away even one-third of undocumented workers and Perryman’s model forecasts a blow to Texas’s gross product of approximately $54 billion. Multiply it by three and Texas’s gross product could shrink by an estimated 9.8 percent, or $162 billion. (Again for comparison, Hinojosa-Ojeda’s model, which did not consider the ripple effect but only the direct effect, forecasts a $77.7 billion, or 6 percent, blow to the gross state product if all of Texas’s undocumented workers were booted.)

Zenobia Lai of Catholic Charities said that regular consumers would feel the immediate effects primarily in the grocery store, thanks to an agriculture labor shortage likely to arise if mass deportations were to happen.

“If no one is picking the tomatoes, no one’s picking the strawberries, imagine how much those things will cost,” she said. “We won’t have enough supply, and those fruits and vegetables will be rotting in the field because we won’t have enough workers to pick them up fast enough.”

That’s not so hypothetical. When Georgia passed a law to crack down on illegal immigration in 2011, intended to “eliminate incentives for illegal aliens to cross into our state,” not surprisingly, many undocumented immigrants left the state. The law gave police authority to demand immigration papers and also created harsher penalties for employers who hired undocumented workers. The following year, an extensive University of Georgia survey of the owners of nearly half the state’s farm acreage found that a severe labor shortage led to $75 million in crop losses, projected to total $140 million for all of Georgia. The shortage was believed to be tied to the new law.

“It’s not merely a question of if we pay better, native workers will take on those jobs,” Lai said. “Some jobs are just not desirable. It doesn’t matter how much you pay.”

Jeff Nielsen, vice president of the Houston Contractors Association, and Will Holder, former president of the Greater Houston Builders Association, both said that a year hasn’t gone by without a labor shortage, as for-hire signs perpetually hang outside construction businesses. Undocumented immigrants are certainly taking the jobs, they said — but “stealing” is perhaps not the word. “It’s just not a field people want to go into,” Nielsen said. “Typically, the rule of thumb is if you get five people to walk up and apply for a job, if two of ’em stay past the end of the day, you’re doing really well. If you get one to stay for a week, you’re doing excellent.”

Nielsen estimated that about one-third of Houston workers in civil construction — working on projects such as piping and roadwork — are undocumented. If all or many of them were to disappear from the roofs and roadside ditches in the ensuing years, Nielsen and Holder said that a labor shortage would cause the price of construction projects to go up, potentially affecting consumer housing prices too. The projects would move along more slowly, work crews would have to be consolidated, and the buzzing noises of drills and pounding of hammers would continue to interrupt otherwise quiet Saturday mornings for months longer.

Would the native workers fill the gap?

Holder said it isn’t feasible to think they would — at least not entirely. Building homes, though blue-collar work, is not “low-skilled” work, Holder said. Not just any unemployed high school dropout or unemployed car mechanic could thrive in the industry.

“When I say skilled labor, I’m talking about the ability to take a pile of wood and turn it into a mathematically precise [home] frame, which very few people can do,” Holder said. “If there was to become a craftsman shortage here, the go-to solution would be to use pre-fabricated framing components, like paneled walls. If we can’t get skilled framers, then we’re gonna build these walls in a factory.”

Houston’s signature luxury townhouses, he said, would not be so signature anymore.

Andrea has already put in her two weeks’ notice at the cleaners. Once her 13-year-old finishes middle school, she plans to pack her and her American children’s lives into her SUV and drive across the border, back to Mexico.
Andrea has already put in her two weeks’ notice at the cleaners. Once her 13-year-old finishes middle school, she plans to pack her and her American children’s lives into her SUV and drive across the border, back to Mexico.
Daniel Kramer

To Trump’s Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, building a wall to stop illegal immigration is like putting up an “endless series of goal-line defenses” to stop a runner on the one-yard-line in football: Every now and then, the runner will find a way to score — jumping over, diving under, going around.

Kelly made it clear during his confirmation hearing that he did not believe the wall by itself was the answer (even though on Sunday he reversed his position, saying it was “essential”). It is projected to cost $21.6 billion. And if it is built, it is projected, no doubt, to endure as Trump’s legacy on the topic of “comprehensive immigration reform,” the three dirty words that have rung hollow for years.

Progress on the wall has already begun, despite the prohibitive costs. According to an April memo obtained by The Washington Post, DHS officials have already begun identifying locations where construction on the wall could begin and have begun work on constructing a prototype. While Trump has called for hiring 10,000 more ICE agents and 5,000 more Customs and Border Protection agents, the DHS memo notes that hiring just 500 will cost $100 million. The agencies have also been identifying more than two dozen detention facilities where they could add more detention beds — at least 33,000 total.

All of this, despite the fact that illegal border crossings have decreased by two thirds since 2000, with border apprehensions plummeting sharply since Trump took office — down 64 percent since this time last year.
For reform to really work, many experts, including Foster and Lai, say Congress needs to revamp the flawed temporary workers’ system — a battle Congress has been waging for years. But Lai added that one largely beneficial reform would be if Congress simply removed the ten- to 20-year bar, the gaping pothole on a long, long path to citizenship. It would restore incentive for many to seek legal status who are eligible, she said, paving the way for family members of U.S. citizens who may have entered the country illegally to apply for legal status without having to wait decades. That process, she said, can take ten to 20 years just on its own.

“We can’t just say, well, you came here without documentation or you overstayed your status — that’s it, we discount every single contribution that you’ve made to our society,” Lai said. “We have to find a path for these mixed-status families.”

Andrea and Miguel do not think they will ever return to the United States, even after their ten- to 20-year bars expire. The decision hasn’t been easy. Andrea asked her kids, do they want to stay here, or go to Mexico or Honduras to be with their dad? She explained her country’s subpar education system, all the opportunities that may be lost. Her 13-year-old daughter, who wants to be a cardiologist because of her own heart condition, had just been accepted into one of Houston’s premier preparatory schools, DeBakey High School for Health Professions. Andrea told her that Mexico had no such thing.

Ultimately, the girls did not hesitate, choosing to stay with Miguel.

“It’s hard because here my daughters have a better future than in my country,” Andrea said. “But I want to keep my family together. I know how hard it is to grow up with no dad.”

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, my grandparents emigrated LEGALLY from Europe, so I have no problem with immigration as long as it is done LEGALLY. As for the Social Security being a benefit, BULL SHIT. I have paid in for over 40 years. If it is a benefit, then everything that anyone invested in is also a benefit to be shared by all, right? So those of you who claim it is a benefit, gladly give your savings/investments to the government to be given out as benefits. If you consider your investments to be yours, and you should get all the money from that investment, then tell you what, just have the government give me back everything I paid into SS, along with an average interest rate I could have made over the past 40 years, and I will be very happy.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlanFaulkner:
Okay, my grandparents emigrated LEGALLY from Europe, so I have no problem with immigration as long as it is done LEGALLY. As for the Social Security being a benefit, BULL SHIT. I have paid in for over 40 years. If it is a benefit, then everything that anyone invested in is also a benefit to be shared by all, right? So those of you who claim it is a benefit, gladly give your savings/investments to the government to be given out as benefits. If you consider your investments to be yours, and you should get all the money from that investment, then tell you what, just have the government give me back everything I paid into SS, along with an average interest rate I could have made over the past 40 years, and I will be very happy.

Cohort specific rate of returns on social security

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/doc...ingpapers/wp110.html

Social security for certain cohorts is as much a public transfer/benefit/welfare so any other government welfare program.

Just cause people pay in $1 and get $4 while the $1 generated interest in the social security fund of $2 over the investment period holding US government long bonds. The excess $1 ($4-$2-$1) is a welfare payment.

This welfare payment only works if the pool of people paying in is increasing. The increase comes from immigration or economic growth.

To date the US government has decided not to print money to pay from social security. Its balancing act down the road will be increase retirement age. Actuary methods provide a very easy way to estimate how much and how easily government can fudge the payout to future generations by increasing retirement age.

Real Economic Growth
Natural increase in population
Increased Immigration
Reduced Benefits via directly paying less
Reduced payments via increasing retirement age
Playing around with cost of living increases
Printing Money
Holding assets with higher returns than US govt bonds

Pick your poison to address social security - US government has picked the easiest - increased immigration.

Same analysis can be done for medicare - except healthcare costs adds a massive additional layer of complexity.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know,I actually feel I have a right to comment on this as my Mother is DAR + did the genealogy research years on the family tree. My Granmother's maiden name was Manypenny + her mothers name was Hawthorne.She was the granddaughter of Nathaniel Hawthorne who was the great grandson of Judge Hawthorne of the Salwm witch trials. So we go back a ways in this country.That is only our current era,don't forget that the Indians took it from someone else as well.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with LEGAL immigration and requiring immigrants to learn English.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
immigration should be a purely economic policy objective of the government

First priority skilled immigrants

No extended family immigration

Allow capital to come into the country via immigration - investors

No refuges unless they have done something for us - translators

I would give every engeenring and hard science and other specialized skills foreign university grad school graduate from us university direct resident status

Companies can bid in and buy immigration to bring in select employees from overseas into us

I would allow for a lot more legal immigration just cause it is so tough to create/educate/motivate Americans to get difficult human capital - engineering degrees

Bluntly I want the us government to absorb the world's smart people, the world's driven people and the world's rich people (quasi rich the real rich will stay offshore). The biggest advantage the us government has is English launguage county with a dynamic open society/economy that can absorb all these people from everywhere.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also have a massive guest worker program with Mexico and select Latin America countries.

I would eliminate the cruel illegal immigration system the us government has create and perpetuated by having a guest worker program.

I would also cut this whole bs story of country of immigrants and just have the us government admit we want a economics based immigration system.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
more with the human side.....

quote:
Houston Press

What Would Houston Look Like if All the Undocumented Immigrants Left?

TUESDAY, APRIL 25, 2017 AT 5 A.M. BY MEAGAN FLYNN

In the nine months that Miguel Garcia’s wife carried his unborn son, Miguel spent most of his time away from her, traveling through deserts.

He was trying to find his way back. In December 2015, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents had shown up on his doorstep, deportation order in hand, and sent him back to Honduras. His wife, Andrea, was eight weeks pregnant, left to care for their three other daughters alone. (At the couple’s request, their names have been changed for this story.)

The first time he tried to return, in March 2016, Border Patrol apprehended him while he was crossing the Rio Grande. He was deported again. The second time, in early June, he caught a ride in the back of a trailer truck with more than 100 others, crossing from Guatemala all the way up through Mexico, over the border and up to Houston. Armed cartel members stopped the truck on its way, asking for $10,000 from each person before they could proceed on the journey through Mexico. Depleting his life savings, he made it home just a month before his baby son was born, in July.

But the relief didn’t last long. At three weeks old, the baby needed gastrointestinal surgery — he could not digest any food. Two days after they brought him back home from the hospital, on August 11, Andrea was with the baby in their bedroom when Miguel called out from the front yard, Amor! She thought he was leaving for work. Carrying their son — still with the scars on his stomach — Andrea opened the front door to find her husband in handcuffs and an ICE agent pointing a gun at the family dog.

“My husband told them, you don’t know how hard for me to come back over here and see my son born,” Andrea said, speaking in her second language. “The lady told him she want to help him, but we don’t believe her.”

ICE did help Miguel, with a work permit and an order of supervision “for humanitarian reasons,” the agents wrote on the order. That didn’t last long, either: Two weeks after Donald Trump signed a pair of immigration executive orders on January 25, it was revoked. He was ordered deported on February 23.
s
Miguel Garcia was one of an estimated 407,000 undocumented immigrants living in Houston. He was one of the thousands of undocumented construction workers encompassing an estimated one quarter of the state’s construction workforce. And he was a taxpayer: property taxes, payroll taxes, sales and utilities taxes — contributing to the billions that undocumented immigrants pay into the local, state and federal tax base every year.

Yet, leading up to the election of Donald Trump, debate over people like Garcia who entered the country illegally has rarely wavered from the topic of enforcement and deportation: Who should stay, who should go. The question of what happens next — what happens to the economy, say, if Trump were to seek to deport even half of the 11 million undocumented immigrants, or what happens to Houston’s infrastructure if even an eighth of all undocumented immigrants were to disappear — has remained more of an afterthought. The economic impact of a mass deportation effort has instead been shrouded in political rhetoric based not on disciplined research but on popular belief: that the illegals are stealing our jobs; that the illegals don’t pay taxes.

Those who have devoted their careers to immigration law and reform, however, are asking this: How would simply ousting them from our communities affect not just their families but everyone’s?

“I don’t want to fail to appreciate the humanitarian disaster of children and spouses losing the breadwinner and father figure,” said longtime immigration attorney Charles Foster, who has advised Presidents George W. Bush, Barack Obama and presidential candidates Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton on immigration policy. “But from an economic standpoint, the costs would be devastating. The average American Joe just doesn’t think of that stuff: Illegal, must go — it’s that simplistic.”

Miguel Garcia is now living with his sister in the rural town of Guaimaca, in the heart of Honduras. He can’t come back to the United States for 20 years, the punishment for entering illegally more than once. While many may say he should have known the consequences for flouting the legal immigration system, experts like Miguel’s attorney, Raed Gonzalez, and Foster see it differently.

For a construction worker like Miguel Garcia, they say, there was virtually no legal system to begin with.

When Charles Foster was growing up in McAllen, Texas, in the 1950s, the borders were as open as they’d ever been.

As a teenager he worked in the Valley on oil and gas pipelines and loaded Coke trucks with undocumented immigrants, who often walked back over the border at the end of the workweek. Their idea back then of illegal immigration, he said, was waiting to cross the bridge until the immigration inspector wasn’t looking. It wasn’t dangerous. It did not cost thousands of dollars. Coyotes were nothing more than local entrepreneurs who knew their way around town. “People say the border is wide open today — that’s totally foolish,” said Foster.

Everything began to change, though, after the 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act, the basis of today’s immigration policies — and perhaps the original instigator of the influx in illegal immigration on the southern border.
The law’s greatest legacy has been its reversal of the discriminatory national-origins quota system of 1924. The earlier law had accounted for the mass immigration of central Europeans while effectively barring Asians and Africans and limiting entry from Eastern Europe, where Jews and Italian and Polish Catholics were concentrated.

Shedding its racism, the new immigration quota system in 1965 instead made 20,000 green cards available to every country in the world each year, prioritizing family members and high-skilled, well-educated workers.
Yet this was also the first time a quota had ever been imposed on Latin America, or anywhere in the Western Hemisphere. And at the same time, while demand for low-skilled labor and migrant workers remained high, the workers’ program that allowed hundreds of thousands of Mexicans to come legally and temporarily every year — the Bracero Program — was dismantled.

According to data from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, while temporary bracero workers from Mexico fell from about 450,000 per year in 1958 to zero after 1968, yearly illegal border crossers from Mexico increased from fewer than 25,000 in 1958 to an estimated 450,000 by 1978.

“Our policies, in a way, encouraged illegal immigration,” Foster said, “because at a time the American economy was growing, we cut off just about every avenue for [lower-skilled workers] to come in legally.”

To account for the increase in illegal border crossings, Congress again attempted to tackle immigration reform in 1986, ramping up enforcement efforts and devoting more resources to securing the Mexican border. (And also granting amnesty to approximately 2.7 million people.) But Foster — who had represented Texas’s immigration task force before Congress and President Ronald Reagan during the reform talks in ’86 — said the enforcement crackdown in ensuing years had an unintended consequence.

From 1986 to the present, the total population of undocumented immigrants has more than doubled, from five million then to roughly 11 million now. “Ironically, the more and more we increased enforcement, the more and more likely people were to stay here and smuggle in their family, rather than maintain circular immigration: working and going back, working and going back,” he said.

Thanks to the high-stakes nature of crossing the border, cartels and organized crime ruled the region, extorting thousands from those seeking a life in America in exchange for help from a coyote. For Foster, sneaking past the sleepy immigration inspector at the bridge became a joke of the past.

Today there is virtually no avenue for permanent legal residency in the United States unless you have a family member here or you are highly specialized and college-educated: a doctor, a software engineer, an architect. These high-skilled workers can also come temporarily through the H1-B visa.

For all other low-skilled workers, there are only 66,000 agricultural temporary work visas and 66,000 non-agricultural temporary work visas available for the whole world each year. For the non-agriculture work visa, the jobs can only be seasonal or one-time gigs. To even get one of these visas, a poor guy in a crime-stricken third-world village seeking a better life can’t simply file an application. An employer has to sponsor his application, meaning, often, the employer must go to his village to recruit workers to come pick tomatoes, for example, or plant Christmas trees, or work at the Mar-a-Lago resort during peak season.

There is no visa for a long-term construction worker like Miguel Garcia.

“It’s why this mindless debate is so frustrating,” Foster said. “When President Donald Trump says, ‘We’re going to deport everyone and then they should get in line,’ that’s nonsense. There is no rational recognition of how, really, there is no line.”

Zenobia Lai, legal director of the St. Frances Cabrini Center for Immigrant Legal Assistance at Houston’s Catholic Charities, said that the line did in fact exist at one time — at least to a certain extent. Before 1996, if a person crossed the border illegally and met a U.S. citizen who became the love of her life, she could get in line to apply for a green card once they were married. But Congress always viewed these marriages as suspect, Lai said, and believed immigrants were only tying the knot in order to become legal. So in 1996, President Bill Clinton signed a new law intended to protect against those sneaky immigrants, a law that essentially destroyed any remaining incentive undocumented immigrants had to seek legal status, Lai said.

Under the 1996 reform, as a punishment for entering illegally, people who wanted to fix their immigration status would have to go back to their home country for ten years before they would be eligible to apply to return.
If the person could prove that his absence would have a detrimental effect on his family, then he might be able to lift the ten-year bar through what’s called a provisional waiver — but the standards are high, Lai said. And besides, to apply for the waiver, he still had to go back to his home country and await immigration officials’ decisions from abroad. If they ultimately decided the answer was no, he would be trapped in his home country, separated from his family, for the next decade.

“A lot of our clients who are from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, they fled extreme violence. They have to be very hesitant to think about, should I risk my life to go back there to apply for my immigrant visa?” Lai said. “All of this is a gamble. It’s a maze and you may not get out.”

With her husband back in Honduras, Andrea went back to the cleaners, bagging laundry behind the counter for 12 hours a day, six days a week, minimum wage.

Save for the several months Miguel came back to relieve her, Andrea spent the majority of the daylight hours over the past eight years in this storefront, looking out through barred windows into a strip mall parking lot. It’s where she learned English, she said, and where she made friends — with the regular customers, that is. Andrea works alone, occasionally jumping rope in the back room to occupy the long hours.

One day in April, though, all four children came with her because the nanny was sick. The baby, healthy now, slept in a hammock hung between two clothing racks, finally quiet. The older girls worked on homework. Passing the time, Andrea scrolled through photographs on her cellphone of her and her husband, of the home they built together and of the homes they came from.

Andrea’s kids never believe her when she talks about growing up in a small village in Hidalgo, Mexico: how she never ate a hamburger at a restaurant until she was 17; how she never had a bike, a doll. Andrea clicked on the photo of her home in Mexico that her cousin sent her last year, while visiting the tiny, tin-roof structure where she spent her childhood in the mountains, often bringing home fish from the nearby river to cook for dinner.
“I tell [my kids], over here you can do anything,” Andrea said. “There, we had nothing.”

Growing up, having few toys was the least of Andrea’s worries. When she was four, her father, a member of Mexico’s most established political party, Partido Revolucionario Institucional, was murdered by a member of an opposing party. When she was nine, her older brother was murdered for the same reason. It was then that Andrea’s family — her mother and one other brother — began thinking about fleeing Mexico for the United States. When they finally came up with the money, they left when Andrea was a teenager, while Andrea moved in with her uncle in the city of Pachuca to finish her education. At 19, in 2002, she made the journey across the desert on foot, ultimately reuniting with her family in Houston.

Her first job was at a food stand, selling corn and sno-cones for 12 hours a day, six days a week, $100 a week. She met Miguel when she got a new job at the Dollar Store: Every time he came in, he would ask Andrea for a price check on everything he wanted to buy — just so he had an excuse to talk to her. They got married in 2003, moved into a trailer home together and started a family.

In 2011 the couple visited an immigration attorney to see if there were any options for them to become legal residents. In reality, there were none: Once a person sets foot in the country without papers, he is immediately subject to the ten-year bar. But Andrea said the attorney advised that Miguel apply for asylum — something his most recent immigration attorney, Raed Gonzalez, says may be a sign of fraud.

Gonzalez said it should have been plainly obvious to the attorney that Miguel did not qualify for asylum. Although he came from an impoverished village, that’s never enough, Gonzalez said — Miguel needed to have a credible fear for his life. After paying this attorney to help with the asylum paperwork, sure enough, his application was denied in March 2013. Miguel signed a voluntary order of deportation, promising to return to Honduras.
Instead, with their third daughter on the way, they stayed.

The home Andrea grew up in, in Hidalgo, Mexico, right near a river where Andrea often went fishing for dinner.

The couple moved out of the trailer and bought their first home — a dream they’d had since coming to America. They renovated the entire house themselves, often working until midnight or 1 a.m. on Sundays, their only day off work. With help from Andrea, Miguel built the bed frames, the kitchen table, the kitchen cabinets and a sophisticated treehouse in the backyard for the kids, using the unwanted wood left at his construction sites. Every day when he came home from work, the girls would race to see who could hug him first.

“Everything we did, we did thinking we would have it for many years,” Andrea said. “We built everything together.” Andrea said she doesn’t know how ICE found out where they had moved, or how, when Miguel returned the final time for his son’s birth, agents found out so quickly that he was back.

Gonzalez filed a stay of removal to block his deportation three days after Miguel was detained, which happened during his regular three-month supervision check-in with ICE. Miguel had just gotten a driver’s license. Miguel was no saint, and had a misdemeanor criminal record spanning from 2003 to 2008, including charges for racing on a highway, interfering with the duties of a public servant and assault. But given that he was the sole breadwinner at the time, Gonzalez thought he had a solid chance to stay with his family.

And for a brief two hours on February 23, the Garcia family thought he would too: ICE’s Houston field office mistakenly sent a letter to Gonzalez saying the stay of removal had been approved. Yet two hours later, Gonzalez received another letter: The stay was denied. For the third time in a year, Miguel would be deported. (Houston-based ICE spokesman Gregory Palmore said Miguel’s criminal record was not tied to the denial, but did not elaborate.)

Andrea’s oldest daughter, age 13, tried to make the case for her dad’s release herself, writing a two-page letter to ICE agents on lined notebook paper. She had hoped the agents could relay some messages to her dad.
“I recently took the algebra test and got a 95% and trust me it was really hard. I was ready to show him and my mom, but I couldn’t because then the sad news came in,” she wrote. “...If he’s there with you, tell him that I love him with all of my heart.”

She never mailed it, realizing she was too late.

During the presidential debate in Houston last February, Donald Trump, saying illegal immigrants would have to “get in line with other people,” added some details to his original plan to deport all 11 million of them.

He said he would rely not only on an enforcement crackdown, but also on the belief that some undocumented immigrants would “self-deport.” “People are going to leave as soon as they see others going out,” he said, despite calling this very phenomenon “maniacal” and “crazy” when Mitt Romney suggested it during the 2012 presidential campaign.

Now, of course, Trump’s stance has narrowed to notoriously target “bad hombres” — which Foster jokes has become a new, largely undefinable legal term. Is it murderers and rapists? Is it someone with multiple past misdemeanors, like Miguel? Or how about a 23-year-old man who had attained temporary legal status under Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, who had one prior conviction for shoplifting and three for driving without a license? The man, Juan Manuel Montes of California, sued the Trump administration last week, demanding an explanation for his deportation.

To attorneys, the case has clearly illustrated that Trump’s executive order is a no-holds-barred deportation guide—that bad hombre is whatever ICE deems it to mean.

“Under this executive order, ICE will not exempt classes or categories of removal aliens from potential enforcement,” ICE wrote in its summary of the order. “All of those present in violation of the immigration laws may be subject to immigration arrest, detention, and…removal from the United States.”

People with criminal records are high up on the list, but the order also subjects people with entirely clean criminal histories to expedited deportations if immigration officials have ever issued a deportation order for them before. This includes people like Gerardo Martinez, who was deported one week after being pulled over in Dickinson, Texas, for a broken taillight and arrested for driving on an expired license. Because he had once been apprehended at the border while returning from Mexico to visit family 13 years ago, he did not even get to see a judge this time.

Courtesy of the family
Expedited deportations also apply to people like Jose Escobar, whose deportation order was entered in default because he missed a court date in 2006 — the year his temporary protected status expired. He had overlooked the deadline to reapply, and his attorney did not inform him he was still eligible. Although ICE ultimately gave him an order of supervision and a work permit in 2011 so he could provide for his U.S.-citizen family in Houston, the work permit was also revoked once Trump took office. Escobar never saw a judge either.

Still, Foster says there has been a slight overreaction to the new executive orders given the sole fact that ICE’s financial resources and number of agents have not changed—at least not yet. To deport a single person costs taxpayers between $10,800 and $12,500 (which includes detention costs), according to estimates from ICE over the past several years. That means deporting just all undocumented immigrants in Texas alone — an estimated 1.5 million — could cost between $16 billion and $18.7 billion.

But say the massive financial resources existed, that Congress allotted them: What would happen to the Texas economy if a large chunk of its undocumented workers disappeared? What would a city, a state, without undocumented immigrants look like?

“It would make the Great Recession of 2008 look like a minor blip,” Foster says.

It’s been common knowledge for decades that undocumented immigrants are rampant in the workforce: building Houston’s bougie luxury townhouses, its sprawling skyscrapers, its underground sewage systems. Cleaning its hotels and its pools, its homes and its office buildings. In Texas undocumented immigrants make up roughly one quarter of the construction workforce, a fifth of the agriculture workforce, and 15 percent of the leisure and hospitality industry, according to a study by the Texas Public Policy Foundation.

To many Americans, this is a problem. To economists, how politicians plan to fix it — by cracking down hard — is a much bigger one.

The foundation of the research rests on this basic principle: If you remove thousands of people from a workforce and a consumer marketplace, then there’s less money to go around for everyone — both to be spent on goods and services and to be paid in taxes. Right-wing politicians often focus on how much undocumented immigrants cost communities every year. This is true, but it doesn’t take into account how much the immigrants benefit economies too.

Dr. Ray Perryman, CEO of the Waco-based economic analysis firm The Perryman Group — who was nominated for a Nobel Prize in economic sciences in 2005 for his development of a model used in the following study — set out to measure the economic impact undocumented immigrants have on Texas in his 2016 report, “Texas Needs the Workers.”

Perryman’s economic model estimated that undocumented immigrants cost federal, state and local Texas governments approximately $12.8 billion a year in areas such as uncompensated medical care, education and health care for their children, and various government services like those provided by first responders.

But the study also estimated that undocumented immigrants in Texas pay approximately $6.7 billion in state and local taxes and state fees each year and $6.8 billion in federal taxes. (For comparison’s sake, an additional study by University of California professor Raul Hinojosa-Ojeda, using a separate but similarly complex economic model, also reported that undocumented immigrants pay about $6.9 billion in personal state taxes and sales tax in Texas.) Perryman’s model then considers the economic ripple effect of undocumented people’s spending money in the marketplace, at grocery stores and car shops, at local businesses and restaurants.

Take away even one-third of undocumented workers and Perryman’s model forecasts a blow to Texas’s gross product of approximately $54 billion. Multiply it by three and Texas’s gross product could shrink by an estimated 9.8 percent, or $162 billion. (Again for comparison, Hinojosa-Ojeda’s model, which did not consider the ripple effect but only the direct effect, forecasts a $77.7 billion, or 6 percent, blow to the gross state product if all of Texas’s undocumented workers were booted.)

Zenobia Lai of Catholic Charities said that regular consumers would feel the immediate effects primarily in the grocery store, thanks to an agriculture labor shortage likely to arise if mass deportations were to happen.

“If no one is picking the tomatoes, no one’s picking the strawberries, imagine how much those things will cost,” she said. “We won’t have enough supply, and those fruits and vegetables will be rotting in the field because we won’t have enough workers to pick them up fast enough.”

That’s not so hypothetical. When Georgia passed a law to crack down on illegal immigration in 2011, intended to “eliminate incentives for illegal aliens to cross into our state,” not surprisingly, many undocumented immigrants left the state. The law gave police authority to demand immigration papers and also created harsher penalties for employers who hired undocumented workers. The following year, an extensive University of Georgia survey of the owners of nearly half the state’s farm acreage found that a severe labor shortage led to $75 million in crop losses, projected to total $140 million for all of Georgia. The shortage was believed to be tied to the new law.

“It’s not merely a question of if we pay better, native workers will take on those jobs,” Lai said. “Some jobs are just not desirable. It doesn’t matter how much you pay.”

Jeff Nielsen, vice president of the Houston Contractors Association, and Will Holder, former president of the Greater Houston Builders Association, both said that a year hasn’t gone by without a labor shortage, as for-hire signs perpetually hang outside construction businesses. Undocumented immigrants are certainly taking the jobs, they said — but “stealing” is perhaps not the word. “It’s just not a field people want to go into,” Nielsen said. “Typically, the rule of thumb is if you get five people to walk up and apply for a job, if two of ’em stay past the end of the day, you’re doing really well. If you get one to stay for a week, you’re doing excellent.”

Nielsen estimated that about one-third of Houston workers in civil construction — working on projects such as piping and roadwork — are undocumented. If all or many of them were to disappear from the roofs and roadside ditches in the ensuing years, Nielsen and Holder said that a labor shortage would cause the price of construction projects to go up, potentially affecting consumer housing prices too. The projects would move along more slowly, work crews would have to be consolidated, and the buzzing noises of drills and pounding of hammers would continue to interrupt otherwise quiet Saturday mornings for months longer.

Would the native workers fill the gap?

Holder said it isn’t feasible to think they would — at least not entirely. Building homes, though blue-collar work, is not “low-skilled” work, Holder said. Not just any unemployed high school dropout or unemployed car mechanic could thrive in the industry.

“When I say skilled labor, I’m talking about the ability to take a pile of wood and turn it into a mathematically precise [home] frame, which very few people can do,” Holder said. “If there was to become a craftsman shortage here, the go-to solution would be to use pre-fabricated framing components, like paneled walls. If we can’t get skilled framers, then we’re gonna build these walls in a factory.”

Houston’s signature luxury townhouses, he said, would not be so signature anymore.

Daniel Kramer

To Trump’s Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, building a wall to stop illegal immigration is like putting up an “endless series of goal-line defenses” to stop a runner on the one-yard-line in football: Every now and then, the runner will find a way to score — jumping over, diving under, going around.

Kelly made it clear during his confirmation hearing that he did not believe the wall by itself was the answer (even though on Sunday he reversed his position, saying it was “essential”). It is projected to cost $21.6 billion. And if it is built, it is projected, no doubt, to endure as Trump’s legacy on the topic of “comprehensive immigration reform,” the three dirty words that have rung hollow for years.

Progress on the wall has already begun, despite the prohibitive costs. According to an April memo obtained by The Washington Post, DHS officials have already begun identifying locations where construction on the wall could begin and have begun work on constructing a prototype. While Trump has called for hiring 10,000 more ICE agents and 5,000 more Customs and Border Protection agents, the DHS memo notes that hiring just 500 will cost $100 million. The agencies have also been identifying more than two dozen detention facilities where they could add more detention beds — at least 33,000 total.

All of this, despite the fact that illegal border crossings have decreased by two thirds since 2000, with border apprehensions plummeting sharply since Trump took office — down 64 percent since this time last year.
For reform to really work, many experts, including Foster and Lai, say Congress needs to revamp the flawed temporary workers’ system — a battle Congress has been waging for years. But Lai added that one largely beneficial reform would be if Congress simply removed the ten- to 20-year bar, the gaping pothole on a long, long path to citizenship. It would restore incentive for many to seek legal status who are eligible, she said, paving the way for family members of U.S. citizens who may have entered the country illegally to apply for legal status without having to wait decades. That process, she said, can take ten to 20 years just on its own.

“We can’t just say, well, you came here without documentation or you overstayed your status — that’s it, we discount every single contribution that you’ve made to our society,” Lai said. “We have to find a path for these mixed-status families.”

Andrea and Miguel do not think they will ever return to the United States, even after their ten- to 20-year bars expire. The decision hasn’t been easy. Andrea asked her kids, do they want to stay here, or go to Mexico or Honduras to be with their dad? She explained her country’s subpar education system, all the opportunities that may be lost. Her 13-year-old daughter, who wants to be a cardiologist because of her own heart condition, had just been accepted into one of Houston’s premier preparatory schools, DeBakey High School for Health Professions. Andrea told her that Mexico had no such thing.

Ultimately, the girls did not hesitate, choosing to stay with Miguel.

“It’s hard because here my daughters have a better future than in my country,” Andrea said. “But I want to keep my family together. I know how hard it is to grow up with no dad.”

Those stories are tough! But they would never have happened if those people did not come to our country illegally in the first place.

I am sick of hearing the stuff about us breaking up families, we are not breaking up families the criminals are.

Do we worry about breaking up families when we put criminals in jail? I certainly don't.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I understand all the "send 'em back's" positions, but I can no longer fully agree with them.

Here's the situation, from a potential illegal immigrant's POV, the US is the land of milk and honey, where they, and, most importantly to many immigrants, their kids have a chance at something besides the grinding day to day poverty they face in their home country, not to mention their often legitimate concerns of terrorism, gangs, etc. Under our present system, they have ZERO chance of immigrating legally for unskilled labor jobs.

So, they risk life and limb, and usually all the money they can scrap up to enter the US illegally. Then, most of them, instantly find employment, often at sub-normal wages. As comes naturally, they have kids, which under our Constitution (I would like to see this changed, made sense in the 1700s, not today), they are US citizens instantly upon birth.

Now, it is perfectly obvious that WE, the citizens of the US, could have solved this problem nearly INSTANTLY by choosing to force employers, with severe penalties for non-compliance, to use E-verify or similar. No jobs, no immigrants.

BUT, We, the citizens of the US, via our elected representatives and senators, possibly for political, possibly for business reasons have chosen not to do that since Reagan wanted it back in the 80s.

So now, due to our lack of any real effort to stop immigration, we have let these people live here for many years, working and paying taxes, creating families of AMERICAN kids, and suddenly we're going to kick 11 million people out of the country. Let's just start with, the actual costs of such a pogrom would be enormous and the down stream costs would likely be larger. IMO it would be better to arrive at some rational solution.

Also, as an aside, the Republicans are stepping on their dicks by allowing the rabid "send 'em backs" to direct the parties efforts. The Hispanics, with their work ethic, and, of course, the Asians, are NATURAL Republicans......but no, we're shitting in our mess kits and FORCING them to become Democrats. Dumber than a bag of hair.

I really can't understand their logic at this point. If we really wanted to solve the problem, we could have and should have done it 40 years ago. We didn't.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I understand all the "send 'em back's" positions, but I can no longer fully agree with them.

Here's the situation, from a potential illegal immigrant's POV, the US is the land of milk and honey, where they, and, most importantly to many immigrants, their kids have a chance at something besides the grinding day to day poverty they face in their home country, not to mention their often legitimate concerns of terrorism, gangs, etc. Under our present system, they have ZERO chance of immigrating legally for unskilled labor jobs.

So, they risk life and limb, and usually all the money they can scrap up to enter the US illegally. Then, most of them, instantly find employment, often at sub-normal wages. As comes naturally, they have kids, which under our Constitution (I would like to see this changed, made sense in the 1700s, not today), they are US citizens instantly upon birth.

Now, it is perfectly obvious that WE, the citizens of the US, could have solved this problem nearly INSTANTLY by choosing to force employers, with severe penalties for non-compliance, to use E-verify or similar. No jobs, no immigrants.

BUT, We, the citizens of the US, via our elected representatives and senators, possibly for political, possibly for business reasons have chosen not to do that since Reagan wanted it back in the 80s.

So now, due to our lack of any real effort to stop immigration, we have let these people live here for many years, working and paying taxes, creating families of AMERICAN kids, and suddenly we're going to kick 11 million people out of the country. Let's just start with, the actual costs of such a pogrom would be enormous and the down stream costs would likely be larger. IMO it would be better to arrive at some rational solution.

Also, as an aside, the Republicans are stepping on their dicks by allowing the rabid "send 'em backs" to direct the parties efforts. The Hispanics, with their work ethic, and, of course, the Asians, are NATURAL Republicans......but no, we're shitting in our mess kits and FORCING them to become Democrats. Dumber than a bag of hair.

I really can't understand their logic at this point. If we really wanted to solve the problem, we could have and should have done it 40 years ago. We didn't.

+1

The republican party is a digging its own grave.

Trump's election was a voter turnout event - not some great tsunami of support. Democrats just did not turn up to vote.

But the damage to republican party within core growth groups like hispanics and asians might be done for a lifetime.

There is little net illegal immigration between US-Mexico - what we have is quasi poorly structured guest worker program.

If the US government wanted to end immigration they could have done it in a heart beat at the employer level.

US labor intensive ag, construction, low skill service industry is all built on illegal immigrant labor.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, I dont disagree with much of what you wrote. But it has to stop. In the first place those countries need to fix their problems, and as long as we provide a relief valve for their uneducated poor they have no incentive to fix anything. Mexico without their corrupt thieving politicians could be a very rich country educating and employing all their people. They have natural resources and a labor force.

Especially at this time we don't need uneducated illiterate, and yes a bunch of these illegals are illiterate in Spanish as well as english workers competing for jobs.

I hear a whole bunch of "they are doing jobs Americans won't do", from what i see ( and i have worked in the construction industry in Texas for 30 years) they have driven wages down to the point that people can make as much money working in a grocery store or sitting on their asses getting govt handouts.

Hanging drywall, carpentry, bricklaying and concrete work where solid middle class jobs 25 years ago......not so much now. It's starting to effect the more skilled trades as well such as HVAC, plumbing and electrical as well.

Our different life experiences show us different things. When I started doing electrical work in 1981 we didn't have illegals on commercial sites, now we have a bunch and i guarantee quality hasn't gotten better.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a metal shop + I build the ductwork for a lot of the HVAC contractors.The Vietnamese have become our new wetbacks in this industry.They work for less + the thing that pisses me off is since they are a "minority",they get first dibs on the Government jobs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Gato, I dont disagree with much of what you wrote. But it has to stop. In the first place those countries need to fix their problems, and as long as we provide a relief valve for their uneducated poor they have no incentive to fix anything. Mexico without their corrupt thieving politicians could be a very rich country educating and employing all their people. They have natural resources and a labor force.

Especially at this time we don't need uneducated illiterate, and yes a bunch of these illegals are illiterate in Spanish as well as english workers competing for jobs.

I hear a whole bunch of "they are doing jobs Americans won't do", from what i see ( and i have worked in the construction industry in Texas for 30 years) they have driven wages down to the point that people can make as much money working in a grocery store or sitting on their asses getting govt handouts.

Hanging drywall, carpentry, bricklaying and concrete work where solid middle class jobs 25 years ago......not so much now. It's starting to effect the more skilled trades as well such as HVAC, plumbing and electrical as well.

Our different life experiences show us different things. When I started doing electrical work in 1981 we didn't have illegals on commercial sites, now we have a bunch and i guarantee quality hasn't gotten better.

Here is data on labor force and who is in and ou t

https://www.bls.gov/opub/btn/v...ent-they-working.htm

The 94 mil out of labor force is made up of

(1) retired
(2) ill or disabled
(3) housewives or stay at home dads doing home production - cooking at home instead of buying food at mcdonalds, childcare ect
(4) students
(5) other reasons - smallest

who are you going to get to work if you replace illegals in the labor force ?

housewives to frame houses
retired to pour cement
disabled to dry wall or build fences on a ranch

the reality is everybody bitching in the construction business needs illegals far more than google or facebook does

illegals do lower wages at the unskilled labor force level that is the choice society has made

end of day there will be enough outcry from business not to do anything on illegal immigration just kick the can down the road

everyone complains about government regulation in construction - if uncle sam wanted he could have shut illegal employment in a heart beat - just audit every contractor and impose a penalty for hiring undocumented or tax ausit for cash payments

the labor market is tight - the whole bitching is not about having a job but about getting paid a decent wage - there used to be decent wages generated by labor unions that restricted supply . no one at google or amazon or facebook bitches about wages. the economy has changed - it technological progress - the evolution of developed society.

the reality is there is a large pool of us born americans who dont have human capital skills to succeed in a evolving economy. i will bet a illegal doing house framing earns more than a legal working at walmart or kfc. why is the kfc or walmart american not out there hustling with illegals on a construction site ?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Note who's offended and running for safe zones all over our country.....it's not the mexicans doing all the construction and kitchen work. It's the spoiled me generation that wants to do nothing but complain about how bad things are. Get them to bust ass doing manual labor like I did for 10 years before going to med school? Good luck.

My buds that are builders and own restaurants say they'd be out of business if it weren't for mexican/south american laborers.

The "kick them out" idea is idiotic at best.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have talked to a couple of contractors in TX. They say it isn't about money, it's about productivity. I noticed myself that at a job site, when the mexicans get there, they go to work; they don't stand around for an hour drinking coffee and bullshitting.
This will, of course, bring screams from the union types that want a "work" standard that is based on the lamest, laziest, most incompetent drooler on the job.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Gato, I dont disagree with much of what you wrote. But it has to stop. In the first place those countries need to fix their problems, and as long as we provide a relief valve for their uneducated poor they have no incentive to fix anything.

Maybe Mexico would provide us with a relief valve for our own uneducated poor, or is Colorado going to do that for them?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote